back to article DMCA updated – toaster penetration testing gets green light in America

A year late, the US Librarian of Congress on Friday published an updated list of exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's prohibition on circumventing digital access controls. These exemptions to Section 1201 of the DMCA describe the circumstances under which – until the rules get revisited in two years time – …

1. Ole Juul

couldn't agree more

EFF would prefer to see the entire DMCA rulemaking process burn to the ground

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: couldn't agree more

the problem with 'rulemaking' is that it's at the WHIM of some gummint official(s) who "feel" instead of think. And that's the problem with a tin-horn dictatorship, in lieu of a society ruled by law. All of those "grey areas" that enrich attorneys, empower gummint control freaks, and make our [the average Joe's] status 'uncertain' and/or 'uneasy'.

clear-cut laws WITHOUT need for this kind of 'interpretation' are more sane. What Con-Grab excreted from their collective rectums is what we have. dammit.

(DMCA should NEVER have been done in the first place - existing copyright laws were sufficient, especially when interpreted in the realm of 'fair use')

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

The article mentions "Security researchers still have to abide by the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act."

And as you mention copyright law already existed.

So what is the point of the DMCA? Yes, I'm being rhetorical.. It;s for big businesses to have unfair control . It's so they can stifle competition, or embaresiing revelations they want kept secret.

It's wishy washy so that if it goes to trial, they can get their top lawyers to drag things out for years, which most people wouldn't be able to afford.

Black Helicopters

"It's wishy washy so that if it goes to trial, they can get their top lawyers to drag things out for years, which most people wouldn't be able to afford."

And with "some of the more recent" wikileaks 'reveals', it seems that these guys have been in bed with 'certain politicians' for a VERY! LONG! TIME! indeed...

yeah, no WONDER it's a fsck'd-up law, interpreted by the various gummint entities via whatever 'whim' they have at the moment... [read: whoever PAYS them the most money]

2. Mage Silver badge
      Big Brother

Meanwhile research outside US jurisdiction.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

One small step for sanity!

The U.S. has the world's largest IT security industry. The world has serious IT security problems. Let's not hobble the industry in trying to solve some of them.

1. smudge
      Trollface

Re: One small step for sanity!

The U.S. has the world's largest IT security industry. The world has serious IT security problems.

Cause and effect?

Devil

Re: One small step for sanity!

cause and effect... you may have a point. Perhaps the politicians are getting nervous [having something in their closets they want to remain hidden, and NOT show up on Wikileaks]

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone penetrating a toaster deserves to get burnt

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But sticking your dick in a hornets nest is so primative. Toaster based knob masochism is totally post-neo-modernist and isn't mainstream yet. It's still considered to be hardcore and is very much underground.

It's cool if you don't do it, I'd tell you why you should but you probably wouldn't understand.

If I did explain by the time you understand I would have moved onto coffee grinders anyway.

4. Sierpinski
    Terminator

Toaster Penetration Testing, the other way around

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-426

5. You aint sin me, roit
    Trollface

I have a fundamental problem with the whole concept...

Why would anyone put a bagel in a toaster and leave it there to be toasted remotely at a future date?

It will only go stale/mouldy or be eaten by small creatures or unscrupulous bagel thieves (i.e. anyone else in the house).

1. Mike 16

Re: I have a fundamental problem with the whole concept...

One does not hack a toaster to steal bagels. One hacks a toaster in order to gain its help in persuading the Smart-Fridge(tm) to order four cases of Budweiser delivered to the home of a Real Ale fan.

1. P. Lee
        Devil

>One hacks a toaster in order to gain its help in persuading the Smart-Fridge(tm) to order four cases of Budweiser delivered to the home of a Real Ale fan.

And then take over his PVR and his doorbell, so that the doorbell rings throughout his favourite shows.

That's Big Data for you!

2. Adelio

Strange that you consider Budweiser "real ale" I know for a fact that there are many small brewers in America making "real ale". It will never come from a mega corp like Budweiser (not that i mind a bottle or three!).

Here in Enlgand we have thousands of micro breweries serving all kinds of "real" ale, some yu will like some you will hate!. Nothing like the Mega brewery stuff you get served and always an interesting experience.

1. Aodhhan

You're a bigoted idiot.

I'm not a fan of Budweiser, nor is most of the USA; however, it's amazing at how well Budweiser does in Europe. It's one of the highest selling major beer brands there.

You're also closed minded, and not well versed in critical thinking.

Sure, England has thousands of micro-breweries, but this concept isn't unique to England. Imagine how many micro-breweries there are in the USA. There are probably 30 individual states in the US which have more micro-breweries in them than in England.

And finally... and biggest fact. You're not a beer miser, guru or expert. In fact, you're a beer idiot and should never bring up anything related to beer or brewing.

..as Budweiser is a "LAGER" not an "ALE". Pretty big difference there.

2. Captain Badmouth
          Facepalm

"Strange that you consider Budweiser "real ale" "

I assumed he'd gotten the fridge to order Bud for a real ale fan as a laugh, not because he would have liked it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Efforts to make non-functioning video games accessible.

So great news for Emulators and sites trying to get old games working..

7. Blinkered
    Coat

As an X-beer fan if your fridge is automatically ordering Budweiser it should either be :

A) Disconnected from the IoT till it can be properly educated << probably a firmware flash

B) Disconnected from the IOT

1. InfiniteApathy
      Pint

A more obvious sign it is malfunctioning has yet to be conceived of

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The DMCA should be overturned in its entirety

The denial of liberty represented by the DMCA should be overturned, preferably by an amendment to the US Constitution that elevated the rights of the public over that of copyright owners in matters of public interest or personal privacy. This security research exemption should have been part of the original statute's text from the beginning, and its absence continues to be one of the key failings of the statutory scheme's constitutionality.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like