back to article 'Fappening' hacker gets 18 months in US federal clapper

The 36-year-old hacker behind a massive public leak of private celebrity photos has been sentenced to 18 months in prison. Ryan Collins, of Pennsylvania, was one of two suspects in the September 2014 leaks known online as the Fappening or CelebGate. Celebrities impacted include Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Rihanna, and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprisingly low

If I recall correctly, one of the ladies was not quite eighteen, which usually means a lot more trouble.

1. Bloakey1

Re: Surprisingly low

He probably played the autistic card and said the voices told him to do it.

Meanwhile some muppet who put a viable bomb on the tube in Greenwich is claiming autism and that it was a prank.

We seem to be tarnishing the good name of genuine autism sufferers by using it as a get out of jail free card in examples of mitigation.

1. Sam Therapy

You'd be surprised how many people have autism, judging by your response. It *should* be used as mitigation - if - the suspect/perp/whatever has a diagnosis. OTOH, don't be surprised if others try it on as a result. The good old US of A doesn't seem to give a damn, though, judging by the way they go after overseas suspects, autism or not.

My two small children have autism, both show signs of genius, neither have a very strong sense of consequences. Despite all my efforts, I'm not going to be able to provide guidance forever so I worry about their future.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprisingly low @sam therapy

so teach them at home ... http://www.johnholtgws.com/teach-your-own-the-john-holt-book-of-homeschooling/

you, and they, will be very happy that you did, and they'll be much better prepared for 21st century life than any school can make them ...

2. Drone Pilot

Autism isn't like a runny nose which has a clearly defined symptom. It'll be a sad day when a mass-murderer / terrorist / bad-doer hides behind a medical condition. Like morbidly obese people - "not my fault"

2. NateGee
    WTF?

Huh?

I thought that the accounts weren't hacked. What happened was someone (whether the account owner or a PA, or A.N.Other, etc) with access to the account was stupid enough to hand over the password to these guys.

1. Jim Cosser

Re: Huh?

Hacking is a pretty broad term these days, many people including social engineering/phishing within hacking.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I saw her butt hole. I liked it” - Ken Bone when talking about the Jennifer Lawrence pictures.

1. Cardinal

Dem Bones eh? - What are dey like!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taking one for the team.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like