back to article Hangouts flameout bringing the Google blame out

Google says it has now resolved the issues that caused its Hangouts meeting service to go down earlier today. A notice posted to the Hangouts Status Page says that as of 11:30am US Pacific time, the problems that had left some users unable to connect to the service were resolved. This after Google spent much of the morning …

1. Cirdan
    Trollface

Ummmm...

"Oh, NO!!!"...

That's my official position on this tragedy, right?

...Cirdan...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Ummmm...

...Cirdan...

Presumably you can go back to making ships now :-)

2. Kernel

Hangouts

One of the first bits of bloat to go once my tablet had been rooted.

3. Maventi

It's a pain, but at least it's still more reliable than Skype.

4. 0laf

Yes to meet anyone that uses this.

Actually yet to meet anyone who even know what it is.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Another article that would be improved if Twitter wasn't around

More random and banal "tweets" added as filler.

Meanwhile: Google has been de-emphasising Hangouts as a messaging tool for the masses while it has been adding peer-to-peer support for voice calls to make them less dependent upon the server.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hangouts is still being promoted to business users, and that's the sum total of my use of it now - team video calls. Does screen sharing, and more reliable/accessible than Skype for Business.

I used to use Hangouts for one on one calls with my wife when I was working away, but Duo is being pushed into that role by Google now, and it does seem better quality on a crappy hotel WiFi connection. And I've moved from Hangouts for text chat to Allo as it's a much quicker app.

The only good thing about Hangouts was it merged text messages and IM, but I can live without that I guess.

1. Valeyard

That's what we use it for, our hangouts setup for meetings is amazing now.

walk into a meeting room and the screen is already there waiting for you to hit connect on your laptop and then everyone from within the room to remote locations are screen sharing and video calling within 5 seconds

for personal reasons go it never gets used, same as that social network google tried that's linked to it, no one in the world uses that

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This used to happen

When 5 people logged in instead of the usual 4

8. Jess

I have the Plug-in on my pidgin installation.

It gets less use than ICQ. (Which ironically is looking rather good now. The current official app does video rather well, can use UIN or/and mobile numbers, and the old app continues to work on old mobiles that WhatsApp is dropping, and works stand alone on computers, including Linux)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like