back to article US docs halve screen time for tots: No more than an hour a day

The American Academy of Pediatrics has changed its recommendations for children's use of electronic media, and has cut the overall time it recommends that tots spend on-screen. For the past 17 years, the influential group has recommended a blanket ban on digital media viewing until the age of two, and then allowing two hours a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I took...

quite a passionate stance over my newborn daughter and TV. Not a single minute did she watch in the house for the first year and a half, the TV wasn't even turned on (I went so far as to de-tune and took the aerial out so the wife couldn't be tempted).

The benefits she reaped from active playtime showed itself fairly quickly when put in a group of her peers.

There are some good programs out there for kids (Dora the Explorer encourages interaction and word repetition) but generally, they're fucking mince with nonsensical gibberish being spoken. There should be a greater level of enforcement from standards agencies in relation to what kids can be subjected to. I think proper use of basic English in the UK - maybe with some languages flung in (Like Dora) should be mandatory.

None of this 'Ribble wip woop grah' shite.

1. grahams_xwing

Re: I took...

Not sure what charming TV you've been avoiding but gobbledegook filled TV for young kids has very much gone out of fashion. Tellytubbies is now an exception, not the norm.

For example CBeebies' programming is predominantly narrated in clear, simple English these days, ranging from hippy weirdness of the Waybuloos (who do talk some balls) to live recorded Shakespeare plays casted with the regular members of the daytime programming.

My (almost) 3 year old would watch it all day given the opportunity (which he doesn't get) and he would see; a Sitcom based on Aladdin, a game show based on number and music skills followed by a race, a football program with Rachel Yankee and John Motson. A live game show revolving around pirates. Animated morality tales with Sarah & Duck. Learning Makaton and acceptance of disabilities with Mr Tumble. Horticulture with The Veggies, Animal Care with My Pet & Me... you get the drift.

Good quality, educational, ENGLISH SPEAKING programming is out there without having to hunt for it. Attacking the standards of children's TV is an outdated 'easy target'

As for detuning the TV etc - that just sounds mean. Right now my boy is at home poorly, unable to go to nursery, and, just like millions of adults around the country would do, is curled up on the sofa with his dog and his quilt watching TV to pass the day until he feels better.

1. Steve K

You omitted Octonauts from that list!!! Sound the Octo-Alert!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's because more than an hour a day of US drivel like Sesame Street risks driving them insane....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re:I went so far as to de-tune and took the aerial out so the wife couldn't be tempted

Like a woman could plug in an aerial and tune a telly! That certainly showed her who's boss (unless she was just watching it when you weren't around and removing the aerial when you were).

Nasty Woman!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: re:I went so far as to de-tune and took the aerial out so the wife couldn't be tempted

I'm not being sexist. I'm just stating the proven fact that my wife is crap at tech.

You're the one that's being sexist by presuming this was a gender thing.

My wife is truly hopeless with technology. She has no skillset in it, and no interest in it. She cannot tune the telly, this has been proven. She can't figure out how to record on the digibox without watching the program at the same time, and refuses point blank to change a lightbulb as it's too tricky.

When I met her, she had been driving her Clio with the clock three and a half hours fast because she couldn't figure out how to set it back, and actually adapted her interpretation of the clock whilst driving as it was easier.

1. Sherrie Ludwig

Re: re:I went so far as to de-tune and took the aerial out so the wife couldn't be tempted

No worries - that sweet hunky lad down the block who works second shift has a working telly, and a few other bits working, too.....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck Peppa Pig

If my lad turns out like that ive failed.

Plus its unashamedly sexist. All the blokes are retards.

We need a masculist movement now.

*gets his bollocks out and burns his skidmark covered undies*

I want full size Yorkies back, NOW!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon