back to article Brute force cred crunchers gifted Username Anarchy

Melbourne security bod Andrew Horton has created a tool to automate the generation of usernames in a bid to round-out brute force account attacks. The HackLabs penetration tester says he created Username Anarchy to fill a feature gap left by basic username generation tools. Horton (@urbanadventur3r) says it will help hackers …

1. Mark 85
    WTF?

So a pen tester is releasing this into the wild as will help hackers...? I guess it's one thing to somehow control it such that only "qualified" pen testers get it, but about the miscreants. Now they have it also and probably before anyone else. It's a screwed up world.....

1. MacroRodent

Freedom

> So a pen tester is releasing this into the wild as will help hackers...?

It's the price of freedom. Unless you go for totalitarian control of information, there is no way to distribute it only to the qualified people. The idea is simple anyway, and probably already in use by black hats.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Easy way to fix this… do as the BOFH does…

… use root as the personal user account. ;-)

3. find users who cut cat tail

Missing third half

You can have my username. Good luck guessing my SSH key. Because you need that to log in.

1. Valeyard

Re: Missing third half

ssh key assumes they want your username for ssh. web applications are a wonderful vector for reverse webshells, and then after that it's priviledge escalation

4. Disk0
    Coat

Just change your username

to \/µ|_†µ®€_©εñТ®æ|_.

Unless of course your system only accepts a limited characterset.

Mine's the one with the clay tablet in the side pocket...

1. caffeine addict

Re: Just change your username

Warning: Password too weak. Passwords must contain at least one lower case letter.

( I know that was a username, but... erm... shutup. )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like