back to article Fruity hacking group juiced by Microsoft's October patch parade

Kaspersky Lab researcher Anton Ivanov says an advanced threat group was exploiting a Windows zero day vulnerability before Microsoft patched it last week. Microsoft says the graphics device interface vulnerability (CVE-2016-3393) allowed attackers to gain remote code execution and elevation of privilege powers. Ivanov's …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

The

Windows 10's efforts to push font processing into a special user mode that restricts privileges did not stop the exploit.

Am I reading this right? They have a special user mode .... for font processing? Can't be arsed to properly validate input? Is the code too spaghetti?? Is it running Turing-complete code from the Internet in there or something? WTF!!

"This is a very good solution but the code has the same bug in the TTF processing," Ivanov says.

The mind boggles. I think the lizard people are strong in Redmond.

And no, its is NOT a very good solution. It's an incrediably retarded "solution" for a problem that shouldn't exist.

meterpreter-style script

Yah, nice neologism! What is a "meterpreter"???

1. Mark 85

Re: The

You seem surprised. This is Win10 afterall.... seems this font problem running in kernel seemed like a good idea at some point in time but it's way past is "sell by" date.

BTW, "an incredibly retarded solution" is the understatement of the week....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You seem surprised. This is Win10 Microsoft after all

FIFY - I think it was said more than 2 decades ago that someone said that building a firewall based on Windows (NT it was, I think) is the same as building a prison out of merengue.

I have as yet to see a single piece of code come out of Redmond that could be considered safe. They are so incapable they'd manage to screw up writing a "Hello World" program. They're the Trump of the software world.

(trying to use up my rant quota for this month - better have it out before beer o'clock :) ).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"FIFY - I think it was said more than 2 decades ago that someone said that building a firewall based on Windows (NT it was, I think) is the same as building a prison out of merengue."

I'm not aware of a single exploit ever for the Microsoft firewall type solutions like Proxy Server and Forefront TMG...even though they were very widely deployed.

1. Tom Paine

There's been plenty of vulns in Checkpoint, which you can run on Windows (if you're feeling perverse.) I don't remember anything in the native Windows packet filter but my memory's not what it was...

2. Lee D Silver badge

TTF Font rendering is actually partly using a virtual machine. Truetype is a horrible and complex beast.

That said, why it wasn't doing it in an isolated user in the first place is a bit of a mystery, but then WMF files were just function pointers to GDI functions and we used them for 20+ years even while they were being exploited.

But Truetype rendering - and pretty much all font-rendering - is a horrible job. Everything from font hinting bytecode machines to sub-pixel rendering integrating with graphics drivers.

1. druck Silver badge
        Happy

Lee D wrote:

But Truetype rendering - and pretty much all font-rendering - is a horrible job. Everything from font hinting bytecode machines to sub-pixel rendering integrating with graphics drivers.
        Strange then how RISC OS was performing fully vector rendered, hinted and anti-aliased font plotting back in 1989 on an 512KB 8MHz ARM2 Acorn Archimedes.

2. Tom Paine

As you say, all font rendering is complicated, which is why you can write a web server in Postscript.

In other news -- GDI32.dll, the gift that keeps giving. Do I remember a GDI remote roto vuln in... 1996? Or did I dream it?

3. VinceH
      1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

Thanks Vince.

Imma getting too old for this job. I think I will retire after the next Death Star project...

4. Tom Paine

"meterpreter": if Google hasn't cluesticked you yet, it's the Metasploit core architecture, runtime engine, comms infrastructure gubbins.

5. Vic

What is a "meterpreter"???

A TV weather girl?

Vic.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It's an interesting advertisement

for "Powershell", which was used to write this.

I wonder what is the most limited computer language used to write a virus? Probably excluding the plain text that says "This is a virus which operates on the honour system. Please e-mail it to your friends and delete some of your files. Thank you."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure do all the font processing in ring 0, what could ever go wrong there...

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Windows Update taking actual DAYS to complete

Because I've got several laptops, some can be ignored for months.

One was last updated 23 May 2016 (five months ago). Upon trying to update this month, it appeared to hang up. After all the usual faffing and trying to invoke corrective action, one advice posted recommended to just let it run. So I did. It had CPU at an intermittent 25% for THREE DAYS. Then everything went back to normal, and Updates proceed at the expected speed.

This weirdness also happened the same way for another netbook that had been off since April (six months). Days of solid CPU doing something, then back to normal.

Good thing I have more than one laptop.

Weird.

1. Tom Paine

Re: Windows Update taking actual DAYS to complete

ISTR there's a reg key you need to edit or delete or something. Known issue, anyway, with a quick/easy fix.(Massive suckage for non-technical users of MS stuff, of course...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like