back to article GPS spoofing can put Yik Yak in a flap

A little machine learning can de-anonymise Yik Yak users, according to researchers from American and Chinese universities. Yik Yak is an anonymous messaging app that raised US$70 million, acts like a location-aware Twitter and has become a preferred tool of trolls on US College campuses. The researchers didn't attack the Yik …

1. frank ly

An anonymous messaging app ....

.... that knows its location and sends its location?? (Have I misunderstood this?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: An anonymous messaging app ....

I don't know anything about this app, but it seems like the messages are anonymous and don't send their location but the messages only get send to other devices in a nearby location.

Setting up a number of smartphones with fake locations based in a certain area you can do a sort of triangulation of where the message came from and then algorithms work out the likely building.

I might be wrong but this is how it read to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh

Yik Yak is still a thing then?

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: Oh

Well, I looked it up in the Unreliable Source, and I found this interesting paragraph:

"An update in August of 2016 in which the app mandated the use of profiles and removed anonymity was not well received by the user base, and it now has a "1 star" rating on the iOS App store."

So I'd suggest that it is, indeed, no longer a thing.

3. hugo tyson
    Unhappy

Hardly GPS spoofing

Hardly GPS spoofing is it? Just setting your location somewhere else. Fake location, fair enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon