back to article Whinge on: T-Mobile US docked $48m for limiting 'unlimited' data plans

T-Mobile US has agreed to pay the US comms watchdog the FCC $48m to settle claims that it illegally throttled the connections of some unlimited-plan data users. The settlement package [PDF] ends an investigation the US broadband watchdog launched over T‑Mobile's handling of customers on its unlimited data plans. At issue was …

1. Frank N. Stein

Really??

So T-MOBILE throttling "unlimited" accounts is no wrong doing, but they were fined? So much for them as a choice

1. Charles 9

Re: Really??

You will find that it's not much better anywhere else. Just earlier today I saw an ad for I think AT&T that said data rates can be limited after, say, 22GB. Couldn't stomach the monthly rate for that plan, however.

That said, this marks something I thought I'd never see out of the FCC: them forcing providers offering "unlimited" service to take the word literally.

1. Swarthy
        Meh

Re: Really??

What's fun about this is Verizon's new advertising campaign: "Don't be limited by an Unlimited plan, Verizon offers 20GB of Unlimited data...."

After hearing that ad, all I could think of is "War is Peace! Freedom is slavery! Ignorance is strength!"

T-Mo has changed their marketing, while the plan is still "Unlimited*" the not-so-fine print is clear that the top 3% will get throttled, and the current cap is 35GB. Said qualifier is easy to see and is put very near any and all usages of "Unlimited*" So, yeah, a mea culpa and a promise never to do it again, and a fine.

2. Notas Badoff

Sad sacks (the customers)

"... $35.5m of that package also be earmarked for return to customers in the form of discounts on accessories" Hot damn, now that's a settlement of real benefit to the customer!

They get to disown their previous misleading words, agree to make "less misleading" misleading words in the future, and atone by giving gouged customers useless vouchers? This watchdog accepts hushpuppies. There's no meat here!

3. Richard Boyce
    Facepalm

4GB data credit?

What use is a 4GB data credit to people who are already on "unlimited" plans?

4. Tromos

Wrong!

"When broadband providers are accurate, honest and upfront in their ads and disclosures, consumers aren't surprised..."

Not so. I for one will be bloody amazed if the day ever comes when broadband providers are accurate, honest and upfront in their ads and disclosures.

1. Charles 9

Re: Wrong!

Heck, if I wanted to demand one thing from Congress, it would be a law that required that ANY interaction with the general public be required to be solely and completely truthful just like at a trial. That includes any statements before a TV camera, any ads, whatever.

1. Swarthy
        Devil

Re: Wrong!

But then the congress-critters would have to be honest and up-front in their ads - and none of them want that.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The old carrier ways are back

The US T-Mo "ONE" plan is "unlimited" but multimedia is strangled down to 1.5 Mbps unless you pay $20/month to turn that feature off. Tethering is also throttled unless you pay extra or don't use T-Mo's app.

6. Zmodem

t-mobile uk is unlimited, throttles, and just gone upto £12, watch as many movies as you like on youtube in 144p and download as many games as you like on steam

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay! Discounts on accessories for my new Galaxy Note 7!

Doesn't get anymore useless than that...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like