Anyone dealt with icann before?

This topic was created by ATeal .

1. jake Silver badge

Unfortunately ...

... as long as the name-squatter pays the bill, it owns the name.

Note that I don't necessarily agree with this reality ...

2. Known Hero

Was discussing this recently, Personally I feel domains are way to cheap atm, Make the minimum renewal price £20 per year, and your problem with name squatters is solved.

Yeah I know we all don't want to be paying more money each year either but common £20 is not alot of money, unless your buying in bulk.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Please, no.

2. Phil W

"Make the minimum renewal price £20 per year, and your problem with name squatters is solved."

Not really, a lot of domains like described by the OP where the domain is owned but is being used for absolutely nothing and has no working services are owned by businesses, in some cases very large businesses. Perhaps for a now defunct brand, or a company they've previously bought out.

Even if they are not intentionally holding on to it in case they want to use it again, a £20 (or realistically anything less than a few hundred pounds, which rules out personal users having domains really) isn't going to solve the problem.

In a very large business the person responsible for arranging the domain won't care much about the cost anyway regardless of how high it is assuming they even still work there, and the finance department getting regular invoices for £20 if it's been previously authorised is not likely to be sufficient to raise any questions.

What it really needs is a method for claiming domains like this. It would be a bit long winded but a system where you can pay a fee to put in a claim on a domain, something substantial to deter abuse but not totally unaffordable, the registrar then contacts the current owner using their registered contact information say 4 times over 12 months to ask them to confirm they are still using it. Should they fail to responded after all those attempts then the domain can be transferred to the claimant.

Seems fair enough to me? If you can't respond to 4 requests in 12 months or haven't updated you domain registration details in over 12 months you don't deserve to keep your domain anyway.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Eminently reasonable, and therefore impossible for icann.

Back to OP - I haven't gone into how much regulation icann has over delegated names; I would've thought it was ultimately .uk that had control. That's how it should be imo.

3. jordandevin

All ICANN-accredited registrars follow a uniform dispute resolution policy. Under that policy, disputes over entitlement to a domain-name registration are ordinarily resolved by court litigation between the parties claiming rights to the registration. Once the court rules on who is entitled to the registration, the registrar will implement that ruling. In disputes arising from registrations allegedly made abusively (such as "cyber-squatting" and ?cyber-piracy"), the uniform policy provides an expedited administrative procedure to allow the dispute to be resolved without the cost and delays often encountered in court litigation. In these cases, you can invoke the administrative procedure by filing a complaint with one of the dispute-resolution service providers.

4. jordandevin

Eminently reasonable, and therefore impossible for icann.

Back to OP - I haven't gone into how much regulation icann has over delegated names; I would've thought it was ultimately .uk that had control. That's how it should be imo.

5. jacobwilliam1985

One of ICANN's key commitments is to promote competition in the domain name market while ensuring Internet security and stability. New generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs) help achieve that commitment by paving the way for increased consumer choice by facilitating competition among registry service providers. Soon entrepreneurs, businesses, governments and communities around the world will be able to apply to operate a Top-Level Domain registry of their own choosing.

6. waltercarroll

While we caution potential registrants to be skeptical of claims that a name can be “guaranteed” names, ICANN supports programs that are set up to help interested parties keep track of when the new domain names will be available. For example, some Registrars are providing programs that allow potential registrants to subscribe to status updates on new gTLDs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon