back to article Facebook, Amazon, Twitter and BT bid for Indian cricket online

Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and BT have been revealed as bidders for rights for India's top sporting attracting, the Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket competition. IPL matches often attract more than 100 million television viewers and the League runs all-but-daily for nearly two months, making it a media monster with few …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and BT"

The four horsemen of the infocalypse!

I'm just not quite sure which of them represents what right now.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Devil

Twitter's attempts to turn itself into a media concern by bidding for sports rights reminds me of ITV's ill-fated attempt to do the same with football. Let's hope it drives them to bankruptcy as well!

1. tiggity Silver badge

ITV

Ironically the last time I watched IPL was on ITV4, since it moved off free to air channels I have never seen it since (a shame, I really enjoyed seeing free to air cricket (albeit a frenetic format) again as, bar the odd few minutes of test "highlights" (with too much chat & too little cricket) essentially all cricket on Sky in UK now).

That was a case of either go Sky or go without, so I went without.

Doubtless be similar whichever of Amazon, BT etc. get the rights: e.g. Not going to buy Amazon Prime just to watch a sport I like (in UK more than enough cash is spent on mandatory TV licence & household budget cannot justify any more cash on streaming / TV services)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: ITV

http://guerrillacricket.com is what you want.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

BT might be the best bet in this case, seeing as they already employ people who know which way round a cricket bat is held.

2. Andy 97

Disaster ahead.

They'll bid more than it's worth and get bitten by shareholders.

But I'm really surprised that the MNDA allowed the naming of the interested parties.

1. Chris King

Re: Disaster ahead.

"They'll bid more than it's worth and get bitten by shareholders".

Sounds like a typical web two-point-doh financial plan. Sold to Twitter !

3. Seanmon

What's "Cricket?"

Sincerely, everybody, Scotland.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: What's "Cricket?"

When I was at uni in Scotland back in the day, uni team played a friendly against the reigning UK Village cricket team champions - who happened to be Scottish (Freuchie cricket team). So some Scottish areas are keen on cricket!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: What's "Cricket?"

I attended the Australia vs Scotland match at Worcester in the 1999 World Cup. Australia won without getting into third gear, but Scotland comprehensively out-sang the Australians in the crowd. Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65196.html

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't Scotland a minor county?

And ditto in cricket?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like