back to article Spain's iPhone killer actually a rebranded Xiaomi – new claim

An Android phone maker in Spain is facing allegations that its flagship product is just a rebranded Chinese model. The Zetta handset had been advertised as a smartphone built in Spain's Extremadura region, and was considered the country's own answer to the iPhone, with more than 80 shops selling it. However, according to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cute !

I like that acorn with the bit out ofit as their logo. Reminds me of something, but can't quite put my finger on it. The middle one.

1. Benchops

Re: Cute !

If you can't put your finger on it, you're probably holding it wrong.

2. Bloakey1
      Coat

Re: Cute !

"I like that acorn with the bit out ofit as their logo. Reminds me of something, but can't quite put my finger on it. The middle one."

I was discussing the name of the most sensitive part of a woman's body today. We had problems remembering the name. He could not put his finger on it and it was on the tip of my tongue last night.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Damn, you peeled off the sticker

And I would have got away with it, if it weren't for you pesky kids.

They apparently managed to get all manner of local and regional subsidies for the business. Wonder what the chances are of them being returned.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Damn, you peeled off the sticker

....managed to get all manner of local and regional subsidies for the business.

In Spain? Colour me unsurprised. They've got form for bent subsidies.

One of the more famous was the government subsidy for "overseas investment", which basically meant that if you were a Spanish firm and bought a non-Spanish one, the government picked up much of the tab.

The EU were only fairly pissed off with this blatant breach of the market rules, until they found that the Spanish government were "reallocating" EU development cash to do it. In effect we paid for Telefonica to buy O2, Ferrovial to buy BAA and Santander to buy Abbey National.

The "sanction" from the EU was, er, they were told sternly not to do it again (although they were allowed to complete any deals ongoing first).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The EU were only fairly pissed off with this blatant breach of the market rules, "

The thing is, British governments totally failed to do anything about it. They were happy to let UK utilities be bought up by bent foreigners because they didn't really care about it. If they had got in there, screamed and kicked and demanded that countries like Spain and Ireland not be allowed to divert EU funds some of which we had provided - the EU would have been a better organisation and we would not have wanted to leave it.

Our position is basically that of someone who joined a club, didn't go to management meetings but sent an idiot instead, ignored other people breaking the rules, and then decided to leave because the place was going to pot.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
          Unhappy

We weren't allowed to do anything about it. Such "protectionism" isn't allowed. Except if you're French. Or German.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"We weren't allowed to do anything about it. Such "protectionism" isn't allowed. Except if you're French. Or German."

You misunderstand and are wrong. The Spanish government diverted funds into State Aids - which are normally illegal. We failed to document and register complaints about it. State Aids cases go on all the time in the EU, and are certainly not limited to France and Germany. A country's government cannot apply a State Aid to enabling a company in its jurisdiction to purchase an asset in another jurisdiction.

Ireland was diverting EU funds intended to build infrastructure into the building of bungalows by IRA-linked companies. Also illegal.

Greece by contrast just spent loads of money on stuff and failed to tax the rich to pay for it, by allowing a whole load of tax fiddles.

You could argue that we were up to our eyeballs in running dodgy tax havens like Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands and didn't want anybody trying a tit for tat. But that's still entirely the fault of the British Government, not the EU.

You're just proving my point. Ignorantia juris non excusat, whether it's New Labour or the Conservatives.

2. Nifty Silver badge

Sad but true. But even if the UK had invested in being a more competent/influential EU member, we'd still end up being outflanked. Good money after bad. Better off Out After all.

2. Eddy Ito
        Trollface

It seems simple to me, they should have just gotten a subsidy to buy Xiaomi and solved the whole problem.

2. Warm Braw

They apparently managed to get all manner of local and regional subsidies

Imagine how much more they'd have got from the authorities in Extremofácil.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Sure these are Xiaomi phones

The 5.5" model would have to be based on the Xiaomi Note, The Note 1,2&3 had the same cpu, but on the versions that support ac wifi, there is no microSD slot.

Note4 marks the return of the SD slot, but also ups the cpu to a deccacore.

Also, none of them has "proper" Gorilla glass.

What they might be doing is buying "fake" Xiaomi Note phones which are based on a more generic MTK body, then adding a new screen and case.

4. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

Is that illegal?

Buying stuff cheap and selling them more expensive after a lick of paint is a well-established business practice... Maybe it comes into false advertising?

5. Velv
    Trollface

And in other news, the Apple iPhone is an American made SmartPhone.

Perhaps they've been playing slightly lose with the term "built" in Spain, and in Apples defence they're clear it's designed in America and fabricated elsewhere, but if the Spanish outfit are modifying an existing base device to add value this is quite a common across technology.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually the iPhone designs come out of Tangerine in Hoxton Square iirc.

Sir Jony designed Apples products.

So Apple kit is:

Outsourced from California

Designed in Britain

Built in China

So those Apples are actually Oranges.

Is this why people say you can't compare Apples to Oranges?

Based on that logic is my arse in fact my elbow and vica versa?

Totally confused.

6. Aladdin Sane
    Coat

Nobody expects

the Spanish Inquisition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody expects

The Spanish Acquisition.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No doubt that the unexpected outcome will be an inquisition because nobody would expect that.

8. The New Turtle
    FAIL

Website not functional just now.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

It's working at the moment, it's got a blog entry saying everybody's wrong. Apparently they "share electronic components with manufacturers in China".

I also checked the previous blog entry which is a firmware update image for one of the phones they sell with a link to, I am shitting you not, Mega.

9. Aitor 1

Not illegal

Most stuff "german made", except automotive, is made in china, etc, and some screws put in germany, so "german made". You buy chinese stuff with a german badge. And it is the few screws put in germany that fail.

I say this while 3m away from our robotics bay.. all german, swiss, etc made. Yet almost all is made in china and a few final touches are put in those countries.. and those final touches are mostly wrongly done.

These guys were just rebranding, and changing a few parts so it could be said "made in Spain".

Look:

https://www.thelocal.de/20120116/40137

How different is it from a 30.000£ robot we have that can be bought for a third of the price from china.. just 99% finished? also, should I had finished the job, I would have done it properly, you know, torque wrench, etc.. I think that for a 20k£ margin that is the least you can expect, not the some loose some crosstreaded some too tight screws, all without thread locker we got.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Not illegal

What's the difference? One's white label, one's a Xiomi mobile with a sticker over the Xiomi one in the battery compartment, a new back case from Aliexpress, and a new boot logo hacked on? I know there's little difference, but if Wileyfox did it, what do you think that'd do for their reputation?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not illegal

It is illegal if you are getting subsidies from your government for products that are supposed to be locally made that are not.

I don't know the letter of the law regarding those subsidies, but pretty sure buying a pre-made product and replacing the back cover does not count as locally made. That would be like me buying stalks of bananas, cutting them down to bunches and selling them as "locally grown produce".

10. Planty Bronze badge
    Stop

Or spun the other way.

iPhone only as good as a Spanish rebranded Chinese Android phone.

Seriously, where does this suggest this is not a good phone? Are Chinese phones automatically bad? Isn't the iPhone made in China?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares

Where something is made. What bothers me is that most new releases over recent years have been following what I call the "daftpunk" design principle. The design files follow the same markup language. It looks a bit like this:

Work It

Make It

Do It

Makes Us

Harder

Better

Faster

Stronger

Funnily enough the salea droids are programmed to say trhis as well.

If you look closely the language lacks the syntax for innovation only incremental change.

12. jamesinspain01
    Meh

I have a blackberry z10 from 3 years ago with the same bits and pieces

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like