back to article Hey! spies! Get! in! here! and! explain! this! Yahoo! email-scanning! 'kernel! module!'

Four dozen members of US Congress have signed a letter requesting a full briefing on the Yahoo! email scandal. In the letter, addressed to Attorney General Loretta Lynch and US director of national intelligence James Clapper, the bipartisan group of representatives asks that they be provided with more information on the …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Only incoming mail?

What if my terrorist group used Yahoo! as a distribution server. Did the NSA catch me then?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

pardon?

"The Purple Palace denied that the move to disable forwarding had anything to do with either the government surveillance revelation or the massive hack that exposed the details of 500 million Mail accounts."

"Yeah, bored one afternoon, and we flipped a coin and just decided to disable this feature. There is no relationship what so ever..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: pardon?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised since that seems to be how they develop most other services. Their depth of ineptitude is remarkable.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US Congress demands answers on what exactly was slurped and how

Keep it easy. Anwser=everytimg. How? you've already explained surely=buggy kernel.

4. goldcd

HTF still uses Yahoo for anything?

Seriously?

I've mentally pegged them with lycos, altavista & geocities

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HTF still uses Yahoo for anything?

Yeah, I'm surprised she hasn't left yet ;)

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Quite a lot of people, actually. Usually people that aren't all that technically savvy and learned how to use computers in the 90's. Mostly parents and academics, really; quite a few message board idiots, too.

AOL still has millions of users. These things are still in use, and will be until the last remaining users die off. They people that use these services are the die-hard "You'll pry it form my cold dead hands because there is no way I'll change" crowd.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ok, I'll bite. Short of running and maintaining your own email server, what is the advantage of the alternatives to either Yahoo or AOL for free basic email?

I've had my AOL account since 1986 or so. And while I don't have the AOL desktop software installed on my windows partition currently, I do use it from time to time when I need to do the occasional reset of my multiple accounts. I install it, sign into the master account from where I can change the passwords on all of my accounts in one go and/or add or remove accounts, then I uninstall the AOL software. It beats having to sign into each account one after the other.

Granted, I could do similar with other services but to what advantage other than avoiding snide comments from young snits (not saying this is you) who think anything not newer than the turn of the century is passe?

Now, get off my lawn!

<Posted from the linux side of my dual boot 8 year old rig. If it ain't broken, still does its job - don't putz it up for no good reason.>

1. Mark 65

Yahoo does also have disposable email addresses which most other services don't. That makes it my more throw away buy shit off the internet email system.

5. Camilla Smythe

Huh?

This has allowed us to bring a better search experience to Yahoo Mail.

May one enquire as to whom it is 'better for'... Spooks, Advertisers or Users?

May one enquire as to whom it is 'better for'... Spooks or Advertisers?

6. a_yank_lurker

Watching a slow motion suicide

The Putrid Palace should be on a suicide watch as this fiasco as all the appearances of a slow motion suicide. The brand has almost no value after this.

7. Steve Crook
    Coat

At least Scunthorpe's email is safe

As it's not smut they're scanning for....

8. Milton

The Cheshire Cat ...

Maybe there's still time for the hapless Mayer to manage one last futile shopping spree, before the purple-people pisser-off gradually disappears ... the last thing we'll see on its banner, fading away, will be the !

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I find it reassuring that your representatives in Congress are finally getting the idea that this sort of thing isn't good. I look forward to the day our own representatives in Parliament cotton on to it.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

In other news:

Hens missing. Senior foxes take charge of the investigation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I find it reassuring that your representatives in Congress are finally getting the idea that this sort of thing isn't good.

Four of them, out of what, 535?

3. Youngone Silver badge

@ Doctor Syntax

I just assumed there was an election happening in the US and they needed to be seen to do something.

Well, get their names in the news anyway.

10. luis river

G Jang shadow

With the scandal details 500 million of e mail Yahoo filtered to them agencies of security USA, Marisa Meyer is now against the ropes ,her was its work in Yahoo follow orders of the illustrious G Jang, consisted in its sale at any price, so many years expected. Now your Verizon buyer wants a great discount by the scandal, a clause in the purchase requires it, Marisa despite having supporters many years who have flattered, the ultimate reality put her in true situation for all people.

1. herman

Re: G Jang shadow

Uhmm, what? Maybe you should rewrite your post in Greek.

1. x 7

I think he used Yahoo translate..........

2. luis river

Excuse me, in firts place is Jerry Yang the name and surname, in second place I am self studing english lenguaje, repeat excuse me.

11. scrubber

Dear Congress,

Let me explain:

After 9/11 your black ops agencies saw an opportunity to use the fear and panic of the American people and politicians to engage in a wholly illegal operation of mass surveillance of the people of this planet. With the support of the administration and quiescence of the public, opposition, judiciary and, worst of all, the media, the constitution as we know it was ignored, torture performed, rendition, surveillance etc.

Since then all your agencies have been using 'national security' as a way to gather info from corporations and to get courts to allow blatantly unconstitutional practices. One of those is to get them to install software with backdoors that allow so-called law enforcement to access data without a court order. The result of back doors is that not only those we 'want' can use it to get in. Hence data, including that of honorable members, was stolen by parties unknown (ignoring the fact it was also collected by agencies known!)

Think of that next time you vote on a bill.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like