back to article Brace yourself, Samsung: Activist investor Elliot's in an arm-twisting mood

Activist investor Paul Singer's Elliott Management is not shy about on taking on the world's biggest companies, and now it wants Samsung to bend to its will, splitting in two and paying shareholders an eye-watering $27bn. Elliott famously tried to seize an Argentinian war ship in its pursuit of a payout from the embattled …

1. Gio Ciampa
    Devil

So basically...

...he's a vulture - scavenging for whatever he can extract, without actually doing the company any service whatsoever...

(...where's the Vulture icon when you need one?)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: So basically...

Apple suffered for years with 'investor' Carl Ichan meddling with their affairs so perhaps it is a tad ironinc that another 'vulture' is taking aim at Samsung when they are reeling from the smartphone battery and exploding washing machines.

From my understanding of Korean economics getting Samsung to sell even one broker brick from a demolished building is virtualy impossible.

This will be worth watching but I fully expect it to fall flat on its head.

2. Doogie Howser MD

Elliott

Are asset strippers of the worst kind.

1. P. Lee

Elliott

"I liked monopoly, so what?"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget it, the South Korean Government would never allow it and with North Korea on the rampage I'm not sure the US Gov would like it either as it would prefer to have strong SK companies to fund the buying of US arms.

Just be careful on train platforms Mr Elliot, you don't want to "accidentally slip" in front of a moving express or some other misfortune.

AC because you never heard it and I was never here.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Remember folks, he's got a mortgage to pay as well (probably).

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Like bollocks he has. If he's got one, some other poor bastard will have been forced to pay it for him.

5. Frederic Bloggs
    Happy

Hm.. Aikido at El Reg?

Do you have some Aikidokas at El Reg? Nice picture illustrating effective arm (more accurately wrist) twisting with Sankyo. The lower arm will twist too, unless one isn't too bothered about waiting for it and the attached body to catch up). Happy memories.

6. Alien Doctor 1.1
    Thumb Down

Forgive my ignorance...

of things financial, but how much clout can an investor have when they hold 0.62% of stock, that's like saying the british national party could argue for the number 10 job because they have half a dozen members?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure they will very politely tell him to

FCUK OFF.

1. genghis_uk

Re: I'm sure they will very politely tell him to

I was just wondering what Korean for Fuck Off was... maybe I need to wait for the reply

1. Joe User

I was just wondering what Korean for Fuck Off was... maybe I need to wait for the reply

Google Translate produced 3 versions:

썩 꺼져!

방해하지 마라!

자지 갈까!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you took the Korean phrase that people might use in that situation and translate it, you might have a few options:

Fuck off

Bugger off

Screw off

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another prime nominee to put on the list of who to send to space !

9. Lou 2
    Pint

You liked the company so much you bought a minuscule share

Lets understand this - he owns "Singer has his hooks into Samsung, with a $1.2bn, 0.62 per cent holding" and he wants to tell them where to take their company.

Ok - that is going to work.

10. Fedup

This as we know is a short term financial gain for a long term loss and the possible collapse of a company. One of the biggest threats to the longevity of companies is the constant raiding the piggy bank to fund shareholder value and dividends at the cost of investment in products or manufacturing facilities to increase profitability. Just look at some of the great companies we have lost over the past few years through a lack of basic investment.

11. Badger Murphy
    Pirate

It makes perfect sense!

The company could totally get on the right track if it just gives away all its money! Of course!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like