back to article T-Mobile and AT&T halt all Galaxy Note 7 sales

US mobile carriers T-Mobile US and AT&T have decided the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is too great a risk and have stopped shipping replacements for the phirebug phablet. T-Mobile took to the web on Sunday afternoon with a statement in which it said "While Samsung investigates multiple reports of issues, T-Mobile is temporarily …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was on the evening news in the US

There have been at least four new reports of replacement Samsung Note 7s catching fire in the US in the last few days.

Either the battery wasn't really the problem, or wasn't the whole problem, because the "fixed" ones are going up almost as fast as the old ones.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haven't Samsung suspended production?

I think I saw it on BBC somewhere that Samsung have stopped production, but I recall them saying the problem as a "rare" manufacturing error. I think it's PR 101 that you stop belittling a problem that is so severe you best pack a set of burn bandages in the box and that has gained your equipment a flight ban.

There are now also some reports of iPhone 6 fablets having a problem, not quite in the same volume, but still. I'm hoping if this is not another problem with people working with off-spec chemicals like the elco problem a few years ago where someone decided that they'd cook up their own recipe rather than license the stuff that worked, which resulted in capacitors with an increased enthusiasm for blowing up. It took years to clean up the supply chain, the damn things were everywhere.

Whatever it is, Samsung has IMHO been rather late to react and has thus suffered significant brand damage. To little, too late, well, too bad.

1. Vince

Re: Haven't Samsung suspended production?

Meanwhile Samsung's issues are getting all the press and Apple are laughing because nobody it talking about the increasing cases and class action cases being launched against Apple for defective iPhone 6 series devices, and various other Apple problems.

Must be good to be in Apple PR right now - you don't even have to try. Great work Samsung.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like