back to article Reseller offered $$$ for old tech gear – then stiffed thousands with suddenly lower quotes

US trade watchdog the FTC has terminated second-hand electronics reseller Laptop & Desktop Repair in Sparks, Nevada – after the biz shafted people out of millions of dollars. The company, operating under such names as cashforiphones.com, cashforlaptops.com, ecyclebest.com, smartphonetraders.com and sell-your-cell.com, offered …

1. Camilla Smythe

If an offer looks too good to be true

Meh... I buy all my 2TB USB drives from e-bay for £0.50. I must have about 400TB of photos by now.

Bargain!!

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Apple II worth a few bucks? If you can't see the over inflated prices they were offering, well....

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Bruce_c

Read slower

"typically between 3 and 10 per cent of the original amount offered."

So that is 90%-97% less.

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: Read slower

Better than saying that the offered price is "between 10 and 30 times smaller than..."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

news?

I thought ALL of those 'send us your phone in the post after we've given you a possible price' companies worked like this - certainly I've never heard any praise or good news about them all. this is even in the UK.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

One of Simon's companies?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Nah, Simon wouldn't have been caught.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

An offer doesn't have to be "too good to be true" to be a scam. Even a fair offer that turns into not paying would work. On the other hand, if your target victim is gullible people, then maybe promising more does work better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like