back to article Bloke gets six years in slammer after fessing up to £4.75m tax scam

A businessman from Essex, UK, has been jailed for six years for claiming back sales tax on computer memory sold overseas in a deception also known at carousel fraud. Robert Waterman funded a lavish lifestyle of expensive houses, luxury cars and a Marbella holiday home through a scam in which he pretended to trade memory sticks …

1. Hans 1
    WTF?

To reclaim VAT, you must prove that you paid VAT, right?

Now, how can this guy cheat many thousands of times without getting caught ? Is it that easy ? Let's all do it, then .... oh wait ...

Seriously, how much did he "sell" the USB sticks for, then, according to HMRC ?

1. d3vy

VAT is mostly done through self assessment. so Yes, it is that easy, however its also quite easy to prove your fiddling it if you get investigated so I'd imagine that very few people do it - there will be less easily detectable scams out there.

All HMRC would need to do in this case is ask him to provide proof of purchase for his stock that he has been shipping and hes screwed. He could have been crafty, actually bought the stock claimed to have shipped it but sold it for undetectable cash or bitcoins somewhere.... but that would have been too much like actual work for the lazy fuck stain.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"VAT is mostly done through self assessment. so Yes, it is that easy"

Theoretically.

In practice, there are various red flags built into the system that will get you onto their radar.

One of the red flags works in the following simplified manner :

In a normal business the expectation is that you will always end up paying HMRC something, because the expectation is that a business is profit-making and therefore the balance always tips in HMRC's favour of being the one to receive a cheque in the post.

There are perfectly kosher circumstances whereby a business may occasionally end up with a HMRC sending them the cheque instead. However, too many of those circumstances (or too odd a pattern or whatever), and at best you'll end up with a friendly tea & biscuits session from your local HMRC officer who will come for an informal sniff-around your offices and your files ... but if you're doing something really fishy, then the big guns at HQ will take interest.

There are other red flags out there too, some of them industry specific. There are various "schemes" that HMRC are aware of in relation to IT and Telecoms, and they take specific additional monitoring steps for companies involved in those areas.

1. P. Lee
          Facepalm

>In a normal business the expectation is that you will always end up paying HMRC something, because the expectation is that a business is profit-making

I think in this case, because the "goods were being exported" outside the EU, reclaiming VAT would be expected on a profitable business.

However, defrauding the UK government and then keeping assets under UK government jurisdiction? D'oh!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re. There are other red flags out there too

well, clearly they did take some time to put up those red flag, eh? So what's my "window" before he should have started packing up his bag? 1.5 years or so...

2. Velv
      Boffin

Clue's in the name of the scam - Carousel Fraud

The same goods are sold in a circle of companies inside and outside of the EU.

A sells to B

B sells to C

C sells to A

So on paper millions of pounds can be transacted with very little actual capital.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Chavs Holy Trinity

Essex, Range Rover Sport, Marbella. Says it all.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The Chavs Holy Trinity

Sounds like a typical candidate to be on The Apprentice. Sadly, I caught a few minutes of it in the PIP corner of the screen while looking for something worthwhile on the Tivo box. It was a crap show when it first started (I watched a few episode) but judging by the few minutes I saw the other night, it's gone far, far down hill in terms of the arrogance of the contestants. IIRC it was some twat stating he was going to be Prime Minister but first he'd a become a billionaire. Luckily I quickly found my recording of The Sky At Night and spent a happy time watching some fantastic images from Rosetta.

3. casaloco

Another Example...

Another example of where someone would have got away with a crime if they had just stopped doing it slightly earlier. But they got greedy and kept going until someone noticed.

1. goldcd

Can't help but think as I type this

There's somebody reading this thinking "I really should stop about now"

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Can't help but think as I type this

If somebody is doing this kind of scam, I highly doubt they are checking El Reg for reading material.

This IS the only place for news right?

1. Pen-y-gors

El Reg is the only trustworthy place for news

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

El Reg is the only trustworthy place for news

Don't forget Private Eye. Though you'll have to go and buy a paper copy...

"You and Yours" - BBC Radio 4, 16 Sept. 2016

"We talk to Private Eye editor Ian Hislop about his thirty year tenure on the satirical magazine. It's paper-only but sales are at a thirty year high. How has he done it?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07tqq66#playt=0h34m53s

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's somebody reading this thinking "I really should stop about now"

For some reason that reminded me of this cartoon :).

2. Phil Kingston

Re: Another Example...

When I worked for a bank, I seem to remember one manager telling us a few times that if we're going to try something "do it once, do it big, and get out". Advice I took on board.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Another Example...

if we're going to try something "do it once, do it big, and get out"

You may end up with a protesting partner, though..

:)

3. 's water music

Re: self fulfilling...

Another example of where someone would have got away with a crime if they had just stopped doing it slightly earlier. But they got greedy and kept going until someone noticed.

a bit like that thing you lost always being in the last place you look for it...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is easy to prove he paid VAT buy printing his own invoices from any other company. It's only uncovered when HMRC tries to join the dots.

1. katrinab Silver badge

They usually like to see bank statements. If you don't pay the invoice within six months, you have to repay any VAT you claimed on it. Also they will check that the VAT number on the invoice is valid, you can do this yourself at http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/ and they might visit the supplier to see if they declare it as a sale.

5. J.Smith

Think bigger

Only 4.75million? That's childs play. Now if he'd thought bigger, and went large scale like the big boys, he'd make billions, and a pat on the back, maybe even a knighthood if he was mixi(buying)ng in the right circles.

6. MrT

Wow, Six years...?

Shows where "the system" has its values. It's a fair wedge, admittedly, but it's not as if this guy ran a couple of 'virtual presence' mail forwarding addresses in posh bits of London, run by shell companies in various trading partners names, each buying off the other, charging real people for the privilege, yet hiding in another barely related address well away from things, and then running a copyright trolling business on the side that caused very real distress to ordinary people by demanding money with spurious threats of legal action, before stamping on an innocent Uber driver's face in a drunken rage outside an exclusive members-only club that had refused him entry, and then only getting 20 measly weeks in clink, whilst crying on about how that would ruin his life and all those that worked for him.

Money before people. Yeah, swapping those sentences over would seem more like justice.

</Rant>

Erm, it's a bit high on this horse - can anyone give me a hand down...?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Wow, Six years...?

No you stay up there and keep telling it how it is cos you're doing a good job!

2. 2460 Something

Bravo sir, Bravo.

As much as I don't like what he has done, it is completely disingenuous for HMRC to state

"We will not tolerate tax fraud and our job doesn’t finish when someone is jailed. We will now continue our confiscation proceedings to reclaim all the money he stole,” added Barton.

I suspect the press release really went something like this before the publicity guys re-wrote it

"We will not tolerate tax fraud from someone who didn't employ one of us to develop appropriate loopholes and our job doesn’t finish when someone is jailed unless of course they were rich enough to have paid the appropriate bribes consultancy fees, in this case we ensure a reduced sentence in a no-security prison so they can still go home every weekend, honestly, between you and I, it's more like a county club. We will now continue our confiscation proceedings to reclaim all the money he stole because, once again, he did NOT go about this in the right way. If only he had listened and employed one of us, we could have earned him significantly more, even after our cut, and we wouldn't have touched it whilst he was at the spa for a few weeks either,lamented added Barton.

3. Jemma

So let me get this straight, the guy got more jail time for nicking money, than the average rapist, child murderer gets for destroying or taking a life/lives respectively?

Is it me or is there something wrong with this woodcut?

Not to mention the copper who was late for his dinner and ploughed into a teenage girl at 93mph in a 30mph limit?! (I think he might have got 5 years (10 minutes after good behavior)).

Methinks this society has its priorities in one hell of a muddle..

1. Wensleydale Cheese

"So let me get this straight, the guy got more jail time for nicking money, than the average rapist, child murderer gets for destroying or taking a life/lives respectively?"

It's because he nicked from the taxman.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Step one two and three

"Step 1: Set up a PO box in Dubai, Step 2: Send empty boxes, Step 3: Reclaim VAT"

Isn't this how Accenture, Apple, IBM, Microsoft etc operate out of Ireland?

--

"also known at carousel fraud" is your keyboard broken too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Step one two and three

I thought carousel fraud was simply the stupidly high price they charge for fairground rides, to the point where you might as well buy your own.

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Step one two and three

There's no prices listed.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

As we've seen recently when the yobs break into a server the operator can get fined if they'd not taken adequate steps to secure it. Why doesn't the same thing apply when they're able to run a long fraud against HMRC? Maybe a few bad annual reports, no increments, no bonuses, that sort of thing.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Think it through

If they catch him early, they can only claim to have caught say £100,000 of fraud. It won't make the headlines, and getting the money back would be simpler as he would have less time to hide the money. By waiting an extra year or two, they show that they are hauling in a big fish, and can employ a whole team for a year to track the money and bring it back.

In the mean time, a thousand commentards are I thinking "What a clueless twit - I could do it much better and retire in Brazil before they catch on." We will be reading about one of them five years from now. Excuse we while I get back to my paperless NHS software scam proposal.

9. Roger B

At least when HMRC sell his Marbella assets they should make some profit if the pound keeps going on its current course.

10. TheProf
    Joke

Vital Public Services

" with cash that should have been funding vital public services.”

How are they going to fund Lilly Cole if thieves like this are allowed to get away with it? That's why he got six years.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Vital Public Services

with cash that should have been funding vital public services

That's terrible. But it would have been OK if he defrauded them of the cash that should have been funding wasteful failed public sector IT projects.

2. Wensleydale Cheese
      Unhappy

Re: Vital Public Services

"with cash that should have been funding vital public services.”

cf GDS has no real strategy for £450m budget pot, internal plan reveals

It makes you wonder.

11. dsupple78

Surely if he'd posted a cheque for 20% of those proceedings to Conservative HQ, this would have a slightly different outcome? He could possibly even have offset it against corp tax. :)

Do it once, do it big, get out and make sure you've got mates in high places (photo's optional)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

brilliant

the only flaw (if you disregard the moral side) was that he did not squirrel away the (ill)gotten gains in various, non-traceable ways. You do your time (reduced to 3 years for good behaviour), move abroad and live off your "savings". And they say "crime doesn't pay"? :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon