back to article Twitter to take buyer bids

Revenue-averse Microblogging site Twitter is opening up its doors to a potential acquisition. A report from the Wall Street Journal cites sources familiar in reporting that this week, Twitter is entertaining bids from potential buyers. Among the possible suitors named was Marc Benioff. The Salesforce.com founder is said to be …

1. Herby
    Trollface

I'll bid....

$1.00

Which given that it is not producing much in the way of income (let alone profits) is about right.

Lose a bit on each one, make it up in volume.

1. Mark 85

Re: I'll bid....

I'll see your $1.00 bid and raise it to $1.03 only because I found a few pennies under the sofa cushion. Or we merge our bids and become joint CEO's with bonuses and whatever perks we can finagle.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Of course you can buy failing businesses for a quid, wouldn't be too keen on taking on liabilities the likes of Twitter would have though!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So long as you don't have to personally guarantee the debt, who cares? You just pay yourself a big fat salary and keep extending your line of credit until the banks say uncle, then declare bankruptcy.

Worked for Donald Trump.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

BBC should buy it?

They behave like it's part of their org, or else why do they promote it when they have their own websites?

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Twitter has been operating since March 2006. That's 10.5 years. A company that still doesn't turn a profit after a decade of trying doesn't have a viable business model.

Still, that doesn't prevent Twitter from having a market capitalization that's roughly 15 times their annual revenue, give or take a few billion. Is that a big bubble or what?

4. David Roberts

Wake up call

For all those businesses/public services who have scrapped support web sites and phone lines and replaced them with a Twitter feed.

Yes, free is cheaper.

As long as it stays free.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon