back to article Tiery-eyed NetApp previews on-prem storage and cloud tie-up

NetApp has previewed a FabricPool technology which combines on-premises and AWS cloud storage into a single repository. This is part of NetApp's overall Data fabric strategy of converging and integrating on-premises storage with the public cloud. Joe Caradonna, senior technical director at NetApp, presented Fabric Pool at …

1. RollTide14

Very interesting feature

I was out at Insight and I thought that the roadmap for new products was very promising. If they can deliver on the pieces like FabricPools, SnapCenter (with cataloging), and my personal favorite CloudSync then NetApp definitely has gotten some of its mojo back.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Wait!

I thought Netapp was trying to convince people it had changed and not everything revolved around clustered ONTAP anymore.

Yeah right.

You'll get clustered ontap up the a$$ as deep as they can drive it. There's no way this changes. No way.

My condolences to the Solidfire cheerleading crew.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this CloudPools

Sounds a lot like CloudPools which Isilon introduced last year and as the article says Avere and Quantum also do this kind of thing. Not quiet a return to the innovation of early NetApp, but I guess the big companies are slower. I am more concerned about if cDOT will keep supporting vVols - I was told vVols will be SolidFire only, which has me concerned for cDOT.

1. Storage Guy

Re: Is this CloudPools

First, the obligatory disclosure - I'm an employee of Dell EMC.

@AC: IMO, not like Isilon CloudPools. CloudPools utilizes multiple policies such as file type, last touch, age, etc to tier to cloud. Based on current publicly available info, FabricPools appears to me to be more like repurposed FlashPool code which I'd categorize as more of a caching algorithm with policies on functional cache properties. That's substantially different thanCloudPools where policies are applied directly to the data itself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

News Flash!

Enterprises don't go to the cloud so they can manage storage. One of the reasons they go to the cloud is to stop managing storage and having to deal with the massive complexity their vendors have created in their own data centers. In other words to gain "agility" as the marketing droids call it. Hold on! Why would I follow to the cloud the same vendors whom have created this complexity. Fundamentally, they are part of the reason I'm moving away... It defeats the idea of gaining simplicity and agility!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like