back to article Security analyst says Yahoo!, Dropbox, LinkedIn, Tumblr all popped by same gang

Five hackers are said to be behind breaches totalling up to a staggering three billion credentials from some of the world's biggest tech companies including the Yahoo! breach that led to the loss of 500 million credentials. The claims, made to The Reg by recognised threat intelligence boffin Andrew Komarov, pin the world's …

1. Mark 85

It's not "if", it's "when"...

So when will FB or MS get it? Any bets? Maybe we need a bookie to take bets on this as these two could be considered the Holy Grail of breaches and data pilfering.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: It's not "if", it's "when"...

I agree on FB, but MS?

Surely the greatest treasure troves would be either Google or NSA.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not enough money in it, the buyers probably have "agreed" acess anyway.

3. Goopy

There have betting lines in Vegas since at least 2000 for cybercrime ifs and whens. Remember Y2K?.

2. Dave 32
    Coat

IDs

Well, I only have one ID on that list. And, for that one ID that I have, most of the data associated with it is false anyway. Why would anyone enter their real data on a site like that in the first place?

Bad data rulz! ;-)

Dave

P.S. I'll get my coat. It's the one with the fake IDs in the pocket.

1. Goopy

Re: IDs

On a site like Yahoo? Ok, then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Customer List?

I wonder who's on their customer list of nation states. Bet it isn't confined to eastern European and Asian countries.

4. ultrastarx1

pa55w0rd

post it notes, general mistakes, easily guessed passwords, for email accounts that actually matter must be of greater concern than 599.9 billion accounts that nobody uses, havent set up, dont use for banking.. I mean if somebody wants 250 billion accounts worth of spam, links to fazebook, links to anycestory etc

this will really all only matter when biometrics become passwords, and you cant change your retina fast enough..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like