back to article Cloudy with a chance of ransomware

Cybercrooks have brewed up a strain of malware that both encrypts and infects files. The Virlock ransomware is dangerous because infected files can be spread through through cloud sync and collaboration applications, putting enterprises particularly at risk of attack. Cloud security firm Netskope warns that the tactic creates …

1. Don Dumb
    Stop

You've already got a problem

Most of the things this malware does can only be done if the user is running as admin and accepts the prompts to install software. How many enterprises are letting the users do that?

This would be bad but then most malware would have already defeated an organisation who is already running such an unsafe and unprotected network.

1. steve 124

Re: You've already got a problem

I hear ya Don, but some software requires local admin rights (our EHR does) and although we're trying to find an alternative that doesn't, it's been in use for 14 years so it's not something that can be changed quickly. There are things you can do to protect systems from local admins but I'll agree it's much harder.

This is fairly aggravating news, just for the fact that these aholes keep finding new infection vectors. I wish we could unilaterally pass a death penalty law for anyone found creating or intentionally spreading ransomware. Maybe death by electrocution would deter some of these people, but of course, until we open our eyes and shutdown bitcoin services this is going to continue. Bitcoin is the root of the problem with all the current generation of malware/ransomware because it's designed (like the onion router) to purposefully hide the money trail.

It seems so obvious to me that Bitcoin is specifically designed to hide criminal activities (and I'm one who will defend torrent services to my grave, because it, at least, has alternative uses).

When I become King of the interwebs, I'll decree these things and we will all have peaceful weekends again. Remember, vote me for King of the interwebs in November!

2. Nifty Silver badge

Think of existing software downloads: Muggins decides to re-install via an MSI he's had on his drive for a while. Enterprises do allow that especially among its tech teams.

3. Herby

Once a customer...

Always a customer...

Pay up right here. A nice continuing revenue stream. What a product.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon