back to article ‘Inflexion point’ BlackBerry washes hands of hardware biz

Here’s your chance to design your own BlackBerry. BlackBerry today ended its 17-year adventure as a phone-maker with CEO John Chen announcing “a new strategic direction focussed on licensing our secure device software and the BlackBerry brand.” There will still be BlackBerrys – a new one is imminent - but BlackBerry won’t make …

1. Nunyabiznes

The day finally came.

We all knew it was coming. Blackberry had some brilliant moments and I personally welcomed the idea (if not always perfect execution) of security THEN fashion.

However their business decisions all too often resembled someone stepping (even tap dancing) on their crank with golf shoes.

We were going to buy into the BB ecosystem 10+ years ago but we were denied because they didn't have some shiny feature or other. I guess the C suite was correct.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tough choices

I happened to charge, boot up and update my daughter's Z10 BB10 phone the other evening.

After almost 18 months it didn't actually feel slow or dated, and the hardware was as tank-like as ever.

But the is no question that things have moved on, my daughter is now using Android and my son had a new iPhone 7 delivered today. There are not going to be many competitors to these two platforms now until a new generation emerges whenever that will be.

3. Nik 2

Bloody hell...

"shifting 400,000 phones, with an ASP (average selling price) of $271m"

So that's why they don't carry them in any of the high street shops.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Bloody hell...

I came to the comment forum with this in my copy-and-paste buffer.

"shifting 400,000 phones, with an ASP (average selling price) of $271 million"

LOL.

Yep... $108.4 TRILLION should be enough to keep them above water.

4. Mage Silver badge

my son had a new iPhone 7 delivered today

Why?

Is he independently wealthy? A phone that costs more than many laptops (nearly £700 excluding accessories) and twice comparable phones made by others, though more awkward (no 3.5mm jack for car/hifi/earphonse, non-standard I/O connection compared to most phones, nearly impossible to transfer content without iTunes, glued in battery).

It's a shame the only choices now are really Android, or else Apple if you want to spend x2 more and have less functionality. Like 1995 to 2005 for PCs.

I was looking at a MS phone. The Win8 is poorer than Android, the Win 10 upgrade doesn't support some features and is as creepy privacy wise as Android. Shame as it's nice HW, though no USB host mode and probably doomed as a platform.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: my son had a new iPhone 7 delivered today

> Why?

Because he wanted one, and it's his money not mine. He previously had an iPhone 4S and then an iPhone 6 so he's replaced each phone after a couple of years. By the 2 year mark the screens are usually cracked, I am hoping that he manages to look after this one better with the assistance of a decent Spigen case.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Cracked screens.

Every city & shopping centre has people that will fit a new screen from stock for common things. Unlike a TV set it's an economically viable repair for common models.

1. Tom Paine

Re: Cracked screens.

I did mine myself. New screen for a Bb Z10: £12. Set of 30-odd impossibly tiny Torx drivers down to #2 : six quid, including shipping. Oh and a pair of +3 reading glasses from the chemist -- really needed for the fiddly bits of the job, which was most of it. Fascinating to see inside the box, though: the actual /phone/ board (as opposed to battery, display, case etc)is the size of a stick of gum.

Edit: oh yeah, and a walk-through of the process on YouTube was an essential help.

2. Deltics

In 20+ years of mobile phone, PDA and smartphone ownership (many, many devices used as every day workhorses, most of them pre-dating "Gorilla Glass") I have never once suffered a cracked screen on a single device.

They don't crack spontaneously ya know and adding a case is not synonymous with - nor a substitute for - actually "taking care" of a device.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately no platform is great privacy wise. Probably due to all the great features that can easily be abused with data collection. I think the lumia 950s can do host mode though.

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-950-and-usb-otg

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

£599 is not nearly £700.

The headphone jack is irrelevant as in the box you receive an adapter so can still use any headphones you like.

5. John Styles

Where are they made these days (prior to this announcement)? Are jobs going or is it all outsourced to a Chinese megacorps anyway?

1. Phil W

My BlackBerry Priv says Made in Mexico on it.

I've actually quite enjoyed my Priv, I'm slightly saddened that there is now unlikely to be a successor of any real quality. Back to Samsung Notes I guess, as long as they can stop them exploding, my Note 2 and 3 were fantastic aside from the lack of keyboard.

1. Daniel B.
        Boffin

Yup

All of my Blackberries were Made in Mexico, which meant that every time I was buying one, I was also helping my own country's economy. It also means there was no risk of having Chinese spyware in it.

1. Somone Unimportant

Re: Yup

My 5820 was made in Canada I think.

My 7230 was made in Hungary

My 8210 and 8220 were both made in Mexico

My Classic was made - you know, I have no idea where it was made.

Time to stock up on Passports, Classics and Privs methinks.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

Stick a fork Blackberry, it's done...

Look how well that model of licensing an Android flavour and apps is working for CyanogenOS.

7. Frank N. Stein

Really??

Maybe Chen will license to Lenovo so their Motorola Division can produce a side slider?

1. Phil W

Re: Really??

A new Milestone with modern specs? That would be a dream come true!

8. Jim84

Crap

There definitely is a lack of variety out there. Every phone is basically an iPhone or a cheaper variant of it now.

I am one of the 5% of people who really do like physical qwerty keyboards. I guess this is the end of the road for them.

1. Daniel B.

Re: Crap

Count me on that 5% as well. I ended up switching to iPhone last year, as the writing was in the wall and I needed the second-best secure phone out there. One of my main gripes is the lack of qwerty keyboard.

9. Chez

A damned shame, really - I liked the look of the Priv.

1. Bronek Kozicki

I do not care that Blackberry is not making them anymore - will buy one anyway. One and the only Android phone with Blackberry keyboard, it is not going to refuse to work just because vendor is not making new ones.

10. Bronek Kozicki

I really, really hope ...

... this is not the end of phones with real keyboard. But probably few years before someone comes and fills the hole left by RIMBlackberry. For now, since I cannot type on touch screens and am not willing to learn it, I am going to make a small stock of Blackberry phones.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like