back to article Narcissist Heidi Powell wants her dot-com and she wants it now, now, NOW!

Heidi Powell wants her namesake dot-com and she's suing to get it. Heidi who? Heidi Powell of course, the legendary fitness coach from Flagstaff, Arizona. What do you mean you've never heard of her? The Heidi Powell. Perhaps this will help: we're not talking about 60-year-old marketing consultant Heidi Powell who registered …

1. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

Popcorn Please

However, better make it healthy low fat, low Carb, Low cal popcorn. But make it better quality than what-is-her-name's legal games.

On second thoughts is this a taster for some new TV series. a sort of legal comedy?

1. PNGuinn
      Joke

Some new TV series. a sort of legal comedy?

Over here on the other side of the pond yonks ago we had a series I believe called something like A. P. Herbert's Misleading Cases.

Quite funny at the time but nowhere like as hilaryous as this. This one must trump the lot.

Audio lolly unfortunately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbOLuNZEUnk

2. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: Popcorn Please

The sad thing is that this is real.

I've had my domain for 22 years and I have to wonder when some numbnutz tries to sue to take my domain name away because I don't run a public facing web site.

This should have been dismissed on the face of it.

Its really a no-brainer, but in the US, the court system is designed to keep the lawyers employed.

3. mstreet

Re: Popcorn Please

...Legal comedy?

I think the word you were looking for was legal "tragedy".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ad hominem

It isn't nice to draw personal conclusions about someone just from an article.

But eff me, the opinion that formed of Narcissist Heidi is the polar opposite of nice.

I wonder about people like that, whether they are chancing their arm or are actually deluded.

Scamming is sort of understandable... If detestable.

I fear she's serious, and that's sad. I wonder, therefore, about her mental ability and health.

Ah well. One way people can avoid bad opinions being formed... Don't make a c--- of yourself!

1. AndyS

Re: Ad hominem

I wonder about people like that, whether they are chancing their arm or are actually deluded.

Scamming is sort of understandable... If detestable.

I fear she's serious, and that's sad. I wonder, therefore, about her mental ability and health.

She? Her? Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about a certain presidential candidate with a floppy wig.

That's the odd thing about Americans, isn't it? Not only do they have a large number of deluded idiots, but an even larger number of presumably sane people who look up to them.

2. billdehaan

"I wonder about people like that, whether they are chancing their arm or are actually deluded."

I have met people like this. One was so pretentious and self-important that he spoke naturally, and without irony, in the third person.

He refused to submit to peer reviews on the basis that "I [sic] have no peers".

He attributed the fact that people were constantly laughing at him, openly and publicly to "jealousy".

As one cohort said, he'd met people who were smitten with themselves before, but he'd never met anyone who was in awe of their own greatness before.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Trollface

@Begeleiding

Ahh... the old 'Legend in his own mind" syndrome...

3. wolfetone Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Ohhhhh

THAT Heidi Powell. Sorry, I got her confused with Heidi Powell.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Ohhhhh

No, not that one- she's married to Colon.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: Ohhhhh

Is it the other Heidi Powell then? The one with the family in the Austrian hills?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

What would happen if one of the opponents for divorced and resorted to her maiden name.

5. Richard 81

Lets just call them Heidi Powell #1 and Heidi Powell A.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

@Richard 81

Which one feels like a "B" Heidi?

6. Anonymous Blowhard

Why does everyone still want a .com?

Is heidipowell.bitch taken then?

1. oldcoder

Re: Why does everyone still want a .com?

Soooo....

Who's on first? :-)

7. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'm Heidi Powell

Fortunately, I'm more of a .net person.

1. Ralph the Wonder Llama
      Joke

Re: I'm Heidi Powell

I'm Heidi Powell, and so's my wife!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

don't you just love the USA

Where simply having a name for 60 years is enough to get you sued.

Perhaps the new Heidi should change her name again... you know to one where she can get a .com domain without all this trouble.

Hah, she's the spoil brat of the kind you see in supermarkets screaming that they want [insert sugar[1] laden bit of crap here] NOW. Not later but now. Then when they get it, the throw it awat and start screaming for something else.

[1]Look for 'High Fructose Corn Syrup' on the label. It seems to be in pretty well everything on sale in US Supermarkets these days. no wonder so many people have Type 2 Diabetes.

1. macjules

Re: don't you just love the USA

Meh. Just wait until Donald Trump Jr sues Donald Trump for namejacking.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: don't you just love the USA

Not a problem - from next year all those "Trump xxx" name licensees around the world will be paying an upgrade charge to entitle them to use "President Trump xxx" instead.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

do you know who I am!

I see ronniepickering.com is up for renewal in a couple of days, could get nasty.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: do you know who I am!

And I was going to use that as an answer!

Well he is more famous here than either Heidi

10. HkraM
    Thumb Up

let's call her Narcissist Heidi

OK, I was planning to clean my screen today anyway!

11. Ole Juul

Oh dear

I fear we're soon going to get a Heidi Powell icon here. In any case, she's a great meme.

12. Little Mouse

Precedent?

Didn't Mike Tyson (the famous one) do exactly the same thing a few years ago? How did that work out?

1. frank ly

Re: Precedent?

There was an identical thing with Madonna (the singer, in case you've forgotten her) who tried to get Madonna.com taken away from someone who'd had it for a long time and used it to display images of The Madonna. However, that seemed to work out for her in some way as I've just found out by having a look at it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Precedent?

Madonna was able to swipe it via WIPO. Maybe the evil Heidi Powell will try that if she doesn't get satisfaction from the US courts, though Madonna is even today about 10000x the celebrity this fitness instructor no one has ever heard of is.

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-0847.html

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're kidding, but that exactly what happened with the armani.it domain

The fashion powerhouse had no idea of what that thing called "the Internet" was. So nobody care to register the domain early. It was registered (1997) by a small plaques/stamps factory, the owner name was Luca Armani - and under the Italian domain name authority rules, he had full rights thereby to register that domain.

One day in 1998*, they asked Armani the stamp maker to transfer the domain to Armani the tailor. He refused, but when the issue went to court, the judge decided the more famous Armani had more rights - she applied the trademark law, deciding it was to be applied to domain names too, giving Giorgio Armani the precedence.

Now, GA is a little more know than HP (is she going to request hp.com as well???) but don't forget judges may reason against common sense...

* Giorgio Armani was also unable to register armani.com in 1997, because some A. R. Mani registered it in Canada - but there the tailor lost (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/08/06/judge_lambasts_armani_in_domain/, although it looks the domain now has been transferred)

14. Huw D
    Trollface

Is Narcissist Heidi's name pronounced "Pooh-hole"?

15. imanidiot Silver badge

I'm sorry?

Who?? And who???

I neither know nor care for either of this person. But from the article I can only side with the Original Heidi.

1. AndyS

Re: I'm sorry?

thatsthewholepointofthearticle.com

(it's ok, it's free, I checked).

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I suddendly feel the inexplicable urge to register that domain...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

narcissistheidi.com is available too ....

oh .. so is theoriginalheidipowell.com

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Heidi Classic.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"do you know who I am?"

No, should I?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "do you know who I am?"

Whenever I hear that question, I always think of the cashier lady who responded by picking up her microphone and making a public message to the effect of "if anyone knows who this person is, could they please come and tell him".

I don't know if it's a meme, an urban legend (probably), or just a joke, but I love the idea.

1. a pressbutton

Re: The future... - meme

The first time I heard it, it was credited to peter cook

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Re: "do you know who I am?"

My favorite joke in that genre was the student who continued writing his last exam answer after "pencils down".

The professor refused to take his paper because of it, causing the student to retort, "Do you know who I am?"

The professor replied that he neither knew nor cared who he was, to which the student replied, "Great!", shoved his exam into the middle of the pile, and left.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@ Captain DaFt

Yeah, heard that one too. Funny, but the issue I have with this joke is that, in this case, the arsehole gets away with it.

I prefer asses getting their comeuppance.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I caught a bit of a 'Room 101' episode a few years ago and Cilla Black was on it. (Not a fan but respect for a lifetime's achievement).

Her entry for Room 101 was "People who say, 'Do you know who I am?'".

For somebody who had been as famous for as long as she was to not assume some self-importance - Respect!

3. Alistair
      Coat

@DrLifecandy

"do you know who I am?"

No, and the question proves that I don't need to.

1. hplasm
        Devil

No, do you know who I am?

"Of course not!"

Good. (Hangs up).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

On reflection the best response is, I know WHAT you are

Rhymes with hunt

17. Potemkine Silver badge

What's the saddest, having people being nuts enough to act like this or having a judicial system authorizing this kind of abuse?

1. Adrian 4

How would the judicial system pay for itself if it didn't allow this sort of time-waster ?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"do you know who I am?" law

I'm surprised that you seem surprised that such law exists. Of course it DOES and it does everywhere. Being famous, infamous (think politicians and stand-up comedians) or just having your mug recognizeable by any representative of the law - from a humble traffic police officer to a humble Judge of the Highest Order - more often than not, gets you favours. Sometimes it gives you grief, but in general it gives you favours. Sorry.

19. Blofeld's Cat
    Angel

Hmm...

There seem to be a few other appropriate domain names still available: heidipowell.fail, heidipowell.gripe, heidipowell.lol and heidipowell.wtf to name but a few.

I see that, somewhat surprisingly, heidipowell.fitness and heidipowell.coach are still available - at the moment ...

1. frank ly

Re: Hmm...

That's because Narcissist Heidi doesn't know about anything apart from .com domains. Shhhhh, let's watch and wait and be entertained.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Hmm...

"There seem to be a few other appropriate domain names still available: heidipowell.fail, heidipowell.gripe, heidipowell.lol and heidipowell.wtf to name but a few."

Also heidipowell.sucks; finally a legitimate use for this TLD!

Anyone interested in a share?

20. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We wonder what she'll do when the judge throws the case out. Whatever it is, it won't be pretty."

Maybe she'll thcream and thcream 'till she's thick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_William

21. JimmyPage Silver badge

Whatever happened to Mike Rowe ?

(yes, I am *that* old !)

1. Michael Thibault

Re: Whatever happened to Mike Rowe ?

>(yes, I am *that* old !)

On the bright side, you're not alone. Apparently.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whatever happened to Mike Rowe ?

IIRC they bought him out for an xbox and a bunch of games.

22. CraPo

According to WikiPedia...

One of Narcissist Heidi's children is called Cash!

On the other hand, you are being slightly disingenuous when you say she changed her name; you make it sound like she randomly changed it, where in fact she married one Chris Powell. I'm still on First Heidi's side though...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: According to WikiPedia...

"Cash"? It thought it was "Barge"

23. Mage Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Wikipedia

At time of writing only her husband has a page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Powell_(personal_trainer)#Personal_life

The latecomer to the name deserves to lose and have to pay costs and damages.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Wikipedia

And Wikipedia deleted Verity Stob one???

24. Big_Boomer Silver badge

SURPRISE!

Oooh, someone who is so self obsessed that they feel that the whole universe exists just for their benefit? There are more of these people out there than you think. I see many of them every day and some of them are so far up there they can kiss their own tonsils. ;-)

25. Locky

Due diligence

The judge should just ask if she did a whois search before signing the contract getting married.

If not, throw it out

26. Adair Silver badge

Je suis Heidi Powell

enough said

27. Hollerithevo

Go for it, No 1 Heidi!

Being accused of using an abusive lawsuit to get a bit of free publicity is rather rich. If I am dragged int the limelight and forced to spend time and money defending my right to something, why not use my moment in the sun to get some benefit out of a sorry situation?

I was asked if I used my [name].com any more by a younger woman of the same name setting up her solo practice teaching yoga and other relaxation methods to kids with autism and other issues. I wasn't really using it, so I gave it to her and got the .co.uk version for me. But the young woman was quite prepared for me to say, 'no, sorry, I'm keeping it'. These things can be done in a civilised way if you are prepared to accept that the universe doesn't owe you whatever you want.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Go for it, No 1 Heidi!

What's it been? Six months? It's still going on, check out the page http://www.heidipowell.com

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HeidiPowel@doyouknowwhoiam.loser has a ring to it.

Just give her a mirror, and a little bell; she will be as happy as a lark.

(Or possibly a budgie).

29. Commswonk

It would be nice...

...if someone had the email addresses of both Heidi Powells. If they were sent a link the original would get to know that she has a lot of support (On El Reg, anyway) and the imposter would get to know that she, er, doesn't.

I understand that Narcissistic Injuries can have rather nasty manifestations, and in many cases are truly deserved. It's just a pity that we wouldn't get to see them.

1. Corky

Re: It would be nice...

You can Tweet them from the original Heidi's page http://www.heidipowell.com

2. Corky

Re: It would be nice...

No email but would Twitter accounts work? You can Tweet the narcissist from #1 Heidi's page now http://www.heidipowell.com

30. James Wilson

Has anyone checked

if itaughtheidipowellhowtogivehead.com is registered?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Has anyone checked

don't you mean the new TLD one at itaughtheidipowellhowto.givehead

31. Zulima

Publicity, Publicity, Publicity

Money just can't buy all this publicity, so you just have to wonder if this is all a publicity-seeking stunt by "Celebrity" (in inverted commas) Heidi Powell herself. Never having heard of her before now, I am wondering where she fits in the A-list, B-list, C-list or Z-list celebrity status scale.

Has she got a new book or fitness video to promote. Isn't this what all "please notice me" celebrities do?

"Celebrity" isn't about being a do-gooder. It's all about getting in the news headlines, in which case, TV star Heidi is succeeding. Before all this, most of the world had never heard of Heidi the "Celebrity", but they do now. Who knows, next follows offers to appear in Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here, followed by the book rights to her life story. She will be raking it in. Don't suppose she is thinking too much about all the grief she is causing the original Heidi Powell. Anyway all this free publicity will mean love-her-or-loathe-her Heidi-the-"Celebrity" should easily be able to pay any legal fees and compensation for the suffering she is causing Heidi the Original whose only failing is that she owns the domain name (registered years before Heidi-ordinary-person became Heidi-the-"Celebrity") that Heidi-the-"Celebrity" wants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Publicity, Publicity, Publicity

On the A list to Z list of celebs, I understand she is down in the "Special characters" list.

"Special" being the operative word.

This idiot makes Paris Hilton look like a Theoretical Physicist.

32. Heyman

What Heidi Powell wants, Heidi Powell gets. Well not quite.

Knock knock at the door. Open the door. Standing there is Heidi Powell, the celebrity that most people haven’t heard of.

Hello, I’m Celebrity TV star Heidi Powell, you must have heard of me. Oh you haven’t, well never mind. I’ve moved into the area just a few years ago and I live in a house a few streets back from the waterfront. I see you live in a nice house with an ocean view and I want it.

Oh, I’m sorry, but this is my home and I’ve lived here years before you even moved into the neighbourhood.

But I want to buy it!

Sorry, but it’s my home and I don’t want to sell it. It’s not for sale.

Well, **** you, *****. I’m just going to sue you

33. SomeoneInDelaware

The judge is probably wishing he could dismiss the case with EXTREME prejudice.

34. tr1ck5t3r

I'm Victor Meldrew and I dont believe it!

35. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I am changing my name to 'The Register'.

You will be hearing from my lawyers soon.

36. sniperpaddy

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

She's simply not right in the head. A Pb pill is the cure.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heidi the Celebrity is on a mission

Need all the Heidi Powells in the world fear Heidi Powell the Celebrity (the celebrity that most people had never heard of)? It really is so easy to go out and register a trademark, so she trademarked her name just a few months ago and now she is on a mission.

Mind your back Heidi Powell, Realtor, Freeport Pennsylvania

http://www.remax.com/realestateagentoffice/freeport-pa-16229-heidipowell-id27615549.html

And watch out Dr. Heidi Powell http://art.utexas.edu/about/people/dr-heidi-powell,

Prepare to close down your websites because you are using Heidi Powell’s trademarked name.

Andy Warhol said “In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes”

So enjoy your 15 minutes of fame Heidi, although which of the many thousands of Heidi Powells worldwide we are talking about, I am not sure.

38. Terrance Brennan

Now she can't get out of it

Apparently the celeb Heidi filed to have the case dismissed; but, Grandma Heidi is not going along. She wants the case dismissed with prejudice (meaning it cannot be filed again), wants Celeb Heidi to pay her legal fees, and is still pursuing her counter suit against Celeb Heidi for domain hijacking. Payback is a bitch; but, Celeb Heidi is getting all sort of "free" publicity. Celebrities who haven't actually done anything need all of it they can get.

http://domainnamewire.com/2016/09/19/reality-star-heidi-powell-wants-drop-cybersquatting-case-lawyer-says-not-fast/

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grandma put up a Tweet Box and a Go Fund Me....

Have you been to the domain lately? You can tell Narcissist Heidi what you think about her, via a Tweet from the page. Check it out https://www.heidipowell.com/

And grandma has a video on a new Go Fund Me page over here https://www.gofundme.com/grandma-bullied-sued-for-her-name

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like