back to article Cosmology is safe and the Universe is one giant version of the Barbican

Scientists have confirmed that the universe is very likely the same in every direction, showing that the assumption of the universe being isotropic can be safely used in cosmology. The results, published in Physical Review Letters show that there is only a 1 in 121,000 chance that the universe is non-isotropic. On small …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"For now, cosmology is safe."

For now....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just wait till after Brexit...

2. Faux Science Slayer

Mysterious Dr X says...Universe is NOT Expanding !

How convenient.... the Universe is expanding, and the Milky Way is in the MIDDLE...

BUT....in a Time magazine interview, "Shift on Shift", Dec 14, 1936....the father of Big Bang....

said that it is a HOAX....see the Cosmology tab at FauxScienceSlayer....

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

"Cosmologists call this the cosmological principle.". Really, all the good names used up?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I don't get the problem

The principle that underlies all cosmology is called the cosmological principle. What do you expect them to call it - Fred?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get the problem

Bruce.

2. David Nash Silver badge

ESA are good at names too...

See also the VLT, OWLT etc https://www.eso.org/sci/facilities/eelt/owl/index_3.html

3. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Pity...

... I liked the "quantum weather" idea from the aborted Tracy Hickman/Margaret Weis Starshield novels. Use your warp drive for a few lightyears, but then Laws change to a section of the universe where magic reigns and you have to bring out the dragons to tow your starcruiser.

1. BoldMan

Re: Pity...

I remember that - I had a little corner of that universe for my own, The TriClonic Gerontocracy :)

It was an early attempt at a mass participation universe creation project, pity it never really went anywhere and the novels were a bit crap.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

The Universe:

"The simplest solution that there is" .... but in which solution space?

1. Ralph the Wonder Llama
      Coat

re: The Universe:

(and Life, and Everything) - with apologies to the late DNA, "I think the problem such as it was, was too broadly based. You never actually stated what the question was."

1. Mutton Jeff
        Joke

Re: re: The Universe:

I booked a table a Milliway's, but couldn't get there.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. asdf
      Trollface

life in the matrix

> but in which solution space?

Well the BBC lately has really been harping on us all being part of some alien comp sci grad students simulation. If so he seemed to get his initial condition variables spot on this run at least for me lol.

1. Mark 85

Re: life in the matrix

Methinks someone at the BBC has been reading too much SF from the 50's......

5. Rich 11

Pedant alert

left over from the energetic blast of the Big Bang

The Big Bang wasn't a blast. You can look at it as more of a cooling event. And as the CMB dates from 380,000 years later, it's more a snapshot of the early universe than anything. Though I suppose you could also say that we're all leftovers from the Big Bang.

Sorry, but I did warn you. Friday morning pre-pub mood.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Pedant alert

I remeber. It was FIRE EVERYWHERE AT EVERY POINT IN SPACE.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Obligatory HHTTG reference

It is after a couple of pan galactic gargle blasters at the eponymous burger bar.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I get what you're trying to get at. But think it through a bit more.

Once the detonation is over, any explosion will cool as it expands. So that's nothing special.

The normal definition of a detonation is a supersonic chemical reaction in which molecules release energy as they go from a high energy state to a low energy one. Again the big bang took matter from a high energy state to a low energy state at superluminal rates, releasing energy.

The only real differences between the big bang and a regular explosion is that regular explosions don't create spacetime and the temperatures were so high molecules couldn't form.

(Well, I say molecules couldn't form. Really I mean temperatures were so high the laws of physics couldn't form.)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The only real differences between the big bang and a regular explosion is that regular explosions don't create spacetime and the temperatures were so high molecules couldn't form."

And there's nobody around to say "I only told you to blow the bloody doors off".

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge
        Boffin

The normal definition of a detonation is a supersonic chemical reaction in which molecules release energy as they go from a high energy state to a low energy one

Raising the pedantry level a bit, there are also entropic explosives (like TATP) which release little if any energy when they go bang. It's the massive increase in entropy that drives the explosion.

Raising the pedantry level a bit, there are also entropic explosives (like TATP) which release little if any energy when they go bang. It's the massive increase in entropy that drives the explosion.

I don't understand this.

The above statement applies to little kids but rather less to TATP. If you blow tops off buses, there sure is energy being released.

3. P. Lee
        Angel

Re: temperatures were so high the laws of physics couldn't form

It was a time of magic.

If the laws of physics had not yet formed, things do not fall under natural laws - they are "supernatural."

Not only that, but if the laws of physics don't apply, you can't use the laws of physics to study it.

"Here be dragons" as the old maps say.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"In the Beginning there was Nothing, which exploded."

4. asdf

>CMB dates from 380,000 years later,

Hopefully someday we can accurately map the CNB. That will give us a picture of what the universe looked like 1 to 2 seconds after the Big Bang (with very little distortion due to matter). Pretty impressive z at that age lol.

Edit: forgot about the GWB. That one might actually be doable (probably not in my lifetime though) before the CNB and it gives a picture of the universe a tiny fraction of second after the big bang.

5. StephenCrothers

The 'CMB' does not exist!

The Herouni Antenna - The Death of the Big Bang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8lKQMEYYLw

Herouni's telescope, Big Bang Theory, and Ian Gillan's only question,

https://www.mediamax.am/en/news/special-report/33818/

The Life and Work of Professor Paris Herouni: A Documentary, https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVCCCf3HCSijVeoE7

P. Herouni, Measured Parameters of Large Antenna of ROT-54/2.6 Tell about Absence of Big Bang Journal of Astrophysics: Reports. — National Academy of Sciences of Armenia 2007, v. 107, no. 1. 73-78. http://rnas.asj-oa.am/2542/1/73.pdf

P. Herouni, About Self Noises of Radio-Optical Telescope ROT-54/2.6 Antenna. Journal of Applied Electromagnetism. Athens. 1999, v. 2, No. 1, 51-57.

http://jae.ece.ntua.gr/archive/1999/vol2no2_June1999.zip

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

barbican?

I know its some building in london but beyond that I know nothing about it.

For those outside the M25 "bubble" please try to use more meaningful metafors.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: barbican?

OK, it looks like the world's biggest wheat field. Happy now?

1. Unep Eurobats

If it was really like the Barbican it would have a helpful yellow line running through it for people to follow until it randomly disappeared into a stairwell or brick wall.

American readers had to be told that Asda was like Walmart a few days ago. They're really going to struggle with the Barbican, so for their benefit, it's like Lincoln Centre. Sorry, Center.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

UE mentioned, "American readers had to be told that Asda was like Walmart a few days ago."

Dumb Americans.

Walmart is American. Asda is British.

But Walmart *owns* Asda.

Hmmm...

;-)

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Totally off topic... I dimly recall visiting London in the early 1980ies. We went to the Barbican Centre (can't remember why) early on a saturday or sunday morning (can't remember why either) and for some reason we walked through a couple of blocks of 'The City' which were totally deserted. I was like in one of those desaster movies where the hero wakes up one day and finds that he is the last man o earth or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I used to live around that area, was amazing at the weekends, the place was deserted! Bit shit during the week though with loads of City Tossers and Wanker Hipsters

7. Magani
    Unhappy

"...the universe is probably directionless."

Nothing new there. So are a few countries I could think of at the moment.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: "...the universe is probably directionless."

So are a few countries I could think of at the moment.

Not ours! We are going straight to Hell!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Where we go, we need no eyes"

Firing up that warp core now.

1. Mark 85

No need for roads then we're going?

8. David Nash Silver badge

non-istotropic

Cosmologists seem to use the term anisotropic. As in http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: non-istotropic

... as do graphics-card manufacturers ("anisotropic filtering").

9. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
  10. G R Goslin

Surely?

Surely that would only be the case if one's viewpoint was at the geometric point in a perfect sphere, or in an infinite environment. . I too could say the same, if I stood out in the open, in a dense fog. "It's exactly the same for as far as I can see, as far as I can see."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Surely?

No: it's the same in every direction wherever you are. One of the most important assumptions in cosmology is that we aren't at some special place in the universe.

It is, unfortunately, hard to give a good picture of what the universe looks like that can make this be true. One way of thinking of it is to think of an ant on a balloon: wherever the ant is, the balloon looks the same. This is, inevitably, not a completely useful model.

11. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Angel

God...

Just like the rest of us.

"Select area"

"Copy"

"Paste, paste, paste, paste..."

1. G.Y.

Re: God...

That option makes it _homogeneous_ . Isotropic is another issue

12. ColonelClaw

There's one thing I've never been able to get my head around:

Go outside and point in any random direction. What happens if you keep going, and going, and going (forever). Where do you end up? Is there no end, or do you somehow come back around on yourself? Or something else?

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

CC asked "...come back around on yourself?"

Best analogy is one dimension down, the surface of a sphere.

So simple answer, yes.

But, since it's expanding, probably not exactly.

Then there's the speed, time and distance problem. So it's impossible anyway.

"...come back around on yourself?"

The standard FLRW solution for a matter-gas filled isotropic expanding Einstein Gravity universe says:

... yes if it's "closed" (akin to a sphere surface everywhere)

... no if it's "open" (aking to the centre of a saddle surface everywhere), then you just keep going

But it may have more complicated shapes, too. You may even hit a "domain wall" if it's divided into various areas of distinct physics (or not, you will probably never reach the wall due to worsening expansion)

1. stephanh

You can still have a flat or even negatively curved space which "repeats", like in Pacman. The technical term is a non-simply connected space. There have been searches for that, too, but it now appears that if we live in such a space, then the distance to go "around" the universe must be larger than we can look, i.e. greater than the size of the observable universe.

2. Andrew Commons

Just go half way?

"...come back around on yourself?"

If I compare images looking North and looking South should I be able to see the front and back of the same distant galaxies if the sphere analogy is valid?

2. Axman

> "Go outside and point in any random direction. What happens if you keep going, and going, and going (forever). Where do you end up? Is there no end, or do you somehow come back around on yourself? Or something else?"

It doesn't matter, because you'll take so long to get there that by the time you do, it'll have moved off elsewhere anyway...

13. alain williams Silver badge

1 in 121,000

Hmmmm, not quite the 1 in 3.5 million (5 sigma) that is used by the boys at CERN.

Still: much better evidence than the myths about the universe that some people try to get me to accept.

14. asdf

Wait a sec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMB_cold_spot

Still that pesky matter to deal with last I heard.

1. asdf

Re: Wait a sec

A possible void nearly 2 billion light years across (Wikipedia's listed estimate is wrong on this according to some other articles about its size) especially when the universe was 11 billion years old (well aware of comoving distance) is not as easily dismissed as it seems to be.

Re: Wait a sec

It's like cold curry in that respect.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

15. sisk

Isn't 1 in 121,000 pretty far short of the all-important 5 sigma mark?

Yeah, but the "5-sigma" does not really apply here. You need it when you pretend to have found a new unicorn and run repeated experiments to make sure that the unicorn does indeed appear in your setup.

Here, you just check whether the unique greyness is indeed rather uniformly grey. Then you can state "yep, it's uniformly grey" with pretty good assurance.

1. sisk

I guess I'm sort of in the habit of treating all claims as an - in your context - unicorn. After all it's not so long ago that science was pretty sure gorillas didn't exist or that we believed in the big bounce.

If you accept currently popular theories with a much lower certainty threshold than new theories then you run into a problem of potentially valid theories being edged out by popular, but ultimately incorrect, theories because they seem like they should be right. The benchmark for certainty needs to be the same for every theory. Otherwise why even have a benchmark?

16. Pursebearer

On small scales, the universe appears clumpy.

"On small scales, the universe appears clumpy."

How do we know what counts as small, maybe beyond the 'tiny' limit of the observable universe it's also clumpy and what we see is a mere isotropic clump. Isn't there infinite light years in every direction?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: On small scales, the universe appears clumpy.

Possible. But not likely.

17. Unicornpiss
    Joke

"The universe is probably directionless."

The poor thing. Obviously it didn't get the talking to from guidance counsellors in high school that the other universes did..

18. StephenCrothers

WMAP and Planck have no data

It is in fact impossible for the WMAP and Planck datasets to signify anything on 'expansion' of the Universe:

Crothers, S.J., Comment on the Isotropic Expansion of the Universe,

http://vixra.org/pdf/1609.0309v1.pdf

19. StephenCrothers

M87

Time Warps And The M87 ‘Black Hole’,

https://principia-scientific.org/time-warps-and-the-m87-black-hole/

20. StephenCrothers

Dr. P.-M. Robitaille,

April 10th, 2019 - Claims of a Black Hole Image: the Day Astrophysics Died,

Sky Scholar, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI14fpM3ouU

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon