back to article Galaxy Note 7 short stack

Looking to replace your pyrotechnics prone Samsung Galaxy Note 7? You might want to hurry before they run out. A report from The Wall Street Journal finds that despite selling roughly one million Note 7s in the US, Samsung has just 500,000 replacement units on hand. For those that claim their replacements in time, the new …

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Maybe in fact

Maybe the battery is replaceable after all, and the returned units (those not already combusted) will have a safe(r) battery fitted to go out to another customer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe in fact

Yes, as with the iPhone the battery is easily removed/replaced once you have the phone opened up. Though you'd probably lose the water resistance if you opened it yourself, unless you had the right materials and know how to reseal everything just so.

However, didn't Samsung say they'd replace them with a NEW Note 7? Granted, a month old device is still pretty "new", but class action lawsuits have been filed over less...

1. Down not across

Re: Maybe in fact

However, didn't Samsung say they'd replace them with a NEW Note 7? Granted, a month old device is still pretty "new", but class action lawsuits have been filed over less...

Yes, Samsung have said they're replacing with NEW Note 7. I'd say if you're being stupid enough not to contact for replacement, it would be perfectly acceptable for Samsung to replace the the refuseniks' phones (if they ever get them replaced) with a refurbished one. Let's face it they will have rather large number of refurbished <1month old phones available soon.

Here in blighty at least CPW is apparently getting replacement stock in on 22nd.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most people aren't listening to the warnings

I believe Samsung stated only 5% of Note 7 buyers in the US had contacted them or one of their resellers about replacement. So 500,000 will probably be more than enough, at least for now, since most people are stupid and will think "it won't happen to me". I'll bet we continue to hear about Note 7s catching fire through the end of the year, unless the flaw is so bad in the affected phones that odds of surviving a few months of daily use without exploding are minimal.

1. Down not across

Re: Most people aren't listening to the warnings

since most people are stupid and will think "it won't happen to me".

Which really defies any logic. Why take the risk with rather expensive device when free replacement is offered?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Most people aren't listening to the warnings

Especially when being wrong means it might burn down your house and/or put you in the hospital?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Oh yeah. https://xkcd.com/1328/ "Update"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon