back to article Spoiler alert: What Oracle is going to announce today

It's that time of the year again. Oracle's OpenWorld is in San Francisco. Supremo Larry Ellison has given his Sunday keynote. Here's a summary of what the database giant is going to reveal today in easily digestible chunks. And, yeah, warning: everything is now cloud. Anything you'd call an application or a software service is …

1. Jay 2

Cloud this, cloud that

I must say whilst reading that article I got a bit sick of the work cloud. Do you think Oracle are trying to press a point? To be honest I think it's a bit shortsighted, like in previous years we've had isomething, esomething etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cloud this, cloud that

Remember when Sun added the word "Java" to every product name? That ended well...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cloud this, cloud that

Its the latest buzz-word that gets PHBs excited. Give a few years and something else will come along and Oracle et al will be jumping on a whole new bandwagon.

2. Steve K

Is it REALLY cloud though...

Is it really cloud though, and not just smoke....?

Some of Oracle's "cloud" offerings are really just fixed-term hosting, without the scale up/down one would expect from a cloud solution.

The devil is in the detail (and smoke) behind the headline. You can always be No.1 in Cloud if you set the definition...

The on-premise stuff is interesting BUT I suspect it is tied to Oracle's hardware (but I suppose that's similar to how Microsoft's Azure on-premise is tied to specific Dell/HP OEM-installed hardware)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Is it REALLY cloud though...

> Is it really cloud though, and not just smoke....?

You're right. Oracle's announcement is complete BS*.

* Bureau Services

3. Conrad Longmore

What Oracle is going to announce today..?

Something I do not give the tiniest shit about. Oracle is a great lumbering mess that only still has customers because it is too difficult for those customers to extricate themselves from their engagements.. and what choice is there? SAP? Just as bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Oracle is going to announce today..?

I've asked this before, but should we consider Oracle's business model that of a database and related services vendor, or are these ultimately just the means to an end, the bait in an entirely legal scheme to lock businesses in, hold them to ransom then squeeze them until the pips squeak?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Oracle is going to announce today..?

No worse than Microsoft or IBM, both of which everything has also turned to crap in the last decade

4. Natalie Gritpants

I came here expecting some droll comments

but it seems like the article is not satire. My mistake.

5. fruitoftheloon
    Thumb Down

Welcome to Oracle 'Open Wide'

Funnilly enough I am checking out cloudy solutions for where to put & develop stuff for my nascent business, from my indirect experience of Larry's extortion crew, surely anyone new to the game would have to be friggin bonkers to use the Oracle Cloudy thingy?

Or am I being unfair??

/cynicism

1. Naselus

Re: Welcome to Oracle 'Open Wide'

I think they tagline it 'Oracle Cloud - because it's not like we can shaft you any harder, right?'

2. RudderLessIT
      Thumb Up

Re: Welcome to Oracle 'Open Wide'

I don't think that you are being unfair at all.

If Oracle are now buying into cloud, then fair enough - they are certainly going about it the right way - bigger & cheaper.

However, for some of us, we have already had some interactions with Oracle and I'd say a fair few of us, are not willing to repeat the experience - regardless of how much bigger or better it is.

Good luck in your own migration to a cloud. There are lots of haters here, but I think it is the right way to go (IT as a commodity) and there is more than just AWS...

6. Alistair

Corrections:

Oracle Database 12c Release 2 is going to be first made available via the tech goliath's cloud beta testing service.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adaptive Intelligent Applications

Oracle already uses Adaptive Intelligent Applications to squeeze the most possible from their customers

8. TVU Silver badge

Spoiler alert: What Oracle is going to announce today

And there was me hoping that they'd be doing everyone a favour by announcing an end to all their vexatious, pointless and destructive lawsuits.

9. captain_solo

Me: "have you got anything without cloud in it?"

Oracle: "Well, there's cloud egg sausage and cloud, that's not got much cloud in it."

Bloody Vikings.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like