back to article Oracle settles with State of Oregon for US$100m, by locking it in

Oracle and the US State of Oregon have struck a $US100m settlement over Big Red's botching of a health portal project. But even though Oracle looks like the villain, it will probably come out ahead in the long term because the state has committed to implementing plenty of its software. The settlement came about after a $300m …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. The Count

If you actually read the article you would see it says $25m which is short for 25 million US dollars. Don't they teach abbreviations in UK schools anymore?

1. Mark 85

Indeed, it now says "$25m".... I'll delete my sleazy lawyer joke. Oh... I'm from the States... well versed in abbreviations.

2. Aitor 1

Angry

Just angry.

If only they got rid of bean counters, PHBs and most (but not all) lawyers, things could be done with a 10th of the cost...

And going into lock in with Oracle? Bring back the 90s!!

I love Oracle DDBBs, but they are NOT worth the license and maintenance cost.

1. The Count

Re: Angry

What the heck is a DDBB? Did you mean to say database? Because that's what the rest of the world calls them.

3. wikkity

Amazing, you really can't make stuff like this up.

4. Lennart Sorensen

Peoplesoft at no cost? There is no such thing. It costs a fortune in time to get set up and then forces you to change your processes to match what it wants, not what you want. It's not free at all.

5. Dwarf

Summary

So, the summary seems to be :

Botched project rewarded by second bite of the cherry with lock-in and long-term support costs coming in a couple of years time.

I wonder how they expect the deployment to go this time around and what happens if it goes bad again ??

Makes you wonder if there is any desire for any of the big projects to deliver successfully.

1. NotBob

Re: Summary

It has to work this time, otherwise Oracle won't have them locked in and required to pay...

6. Billl

This proves that Oracle was right.

The state of Oregon is incompetent. Oregon's issues were politically motivated/caused from the start. Oracle loses nothing in this settlement and the state gets to pay millions to Oracle in support costs. All of those products require Oracle DB and other services. Oracle has won big time here, but the politicians get to crow that they won. Oregon tax payers lose!

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: This proves that Oracle was right.

Oregon has some prime candidates for the America's Native Criminal Class who subtract from the the Sum Total of Human Knowledge by their existence aka Congress (HT Mark Twain and Thomas 'Czar' Reed).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better punishment would be...

> “a six-year Unlimited License Agreement (ULA) for [Oracle] products and services"

Would be better if they were made to pay for a six-year unlimited SAP or MS license.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like