back to article Pirated movie downloads offered as Zango sweetener

Zango affiliates are offering gateway access to pirated films, including the Hollywood blockbuster The Dark Knight, in a bid to induce users into accepting adware. Freetards who accept the offer are likely to to be disappointed with the shaky videocam footage of the eagerly awaited next installment in the rebooted Batman …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jodo Kast

$3 mil to settle? No problem!

Nice deal

2. A J Stiles
    Linux

Bgeh!

Freakin' Windows users! If they're still using it after all the warnings, they deserve everything they get.

Anyway, I bet the movie is so degraded in quality that it contains little enough of the original source material as to fall within the bounds of Fair Dealing, even if it doesn't contain enough original material (punters coughing, munching popcorn, getting up and going to the toilet) to count as a new work in its own right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@A J Stiles

Nice to see someone going after Webster Phreaky's world title in the Extremist Nonsequitur.

4. Fatman

Zango needs to have its @$$ sued

Hey MPAA (Motion Picture Ass. of America), looking for someone to sue, then go after Zango.

I would not cry if you put them out of business.

5. Pierre
    Flame

Flame on!

Windows' software management sux moose balls, that is a given. Anyone saying otherwise is a [ft]ool. Here is a simple experiment for those that are not convinced:

1- Boot Windows

2- Install a few apps

3- Uninstall said apps (using MS management tool)

4- Have a look at your registry

5- Cry

And this is only for "legit" apps... now try the same with applications that use a "cowboy" installer, and you'll cry as early as step 3. RegCleaner and a few other 3rd party administration apps can be used as temporary fixes for those who don't want to use regedit. A good old *nix OS is a more permanent solution.

However, Zango is a piece of smelly droppings. So Win users who install it are just begging for trouble. Twice.

6. Zmodem

meh

might as well pay £5.50 for the cinema viewing. having ripped dvds all over the place is scabby

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@David

pretty funny you use Zango don't you.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Why is this surprising ?

Scum partnering with criminals is normal as the sun rising in the morning.

9. Daniel
    Dead Vulture

Grow up

Offhand, I can't come up with a more childish set of phrases than "freetard" and "paytard" in common use at El Reg. STOP IT, DAMNIT!

-Daniel (Dead Vulture because this needs to DIE)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Pierre

I'll bite...

I'll just install something on linux then, easy - I'll apt-get it, oh hang on wrong linux, no, I'll rpm it, nah, not that either, possibly I'll yum it, nope, an install script on the CD/download? No? Oh, I've got to download the code, compile and install it myself. I've changed my mind, I don't want the software that I've just installed, I'll just run the uninstaller script, now where is that, oh the authors didn't bother with one...

This is six of one, half a dozen of the other, Windows installer scripts aren't all perfect, *nix ones aren't either, it's hardly the fault of the OS manufacturers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@Zmodem

£5.50, where are you living? having gone the other day to see it in London and it was £19 a ticket, i think even now its around £13-£15 for the West End.

12. Dan
    Unhappy

They'll still be disaapointed 'cos

there aren't any decent of the new Batman film out there yet.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh I like that...

"We view services that don't actually host content as if they were a search engine."

Nice one. "They're not search engines, but we're going to tell you they are." That's alright then.

14. A J Stiles
    Linux

@ Fraser

The "uninstaller script" is actually part of the Makefile:

$ sudo make uninstall -C /usr/src/foo-1.2.34

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good whinge? And if you want a repository with a good range of packages, try Debian or Gentoo, not some RPM-based, back-bedroom distro.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cinema Tickets

MK is about £7, and the cinemas are rubbish. Hatfield was also about £7 also rubbish, lets not even get onto the price of drink/food/sweets.

And all too see one movie once, nope I'll wait for the DVD release by which time I'll of forgotten all about it, so I'll wait till it's in the £5 deal bin at the local co-op.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I am sure the sentence makes sense ...

.... just not to me.

has identified two sites (one registered by someone in China and another by a person in China) offering the ropy

So both sites are registered by people in China? And then it continues

The Indonesian site .......

What Indonesian site? Where did that come from?

Paris because she would be confused by all this as well.

17. radian
    Pirate

slighty off topic

I went to see the Batman movie over the weekend but after twenty minutes of adverts at the start I'd lost the will to live.

This topic is closed for new posts.