back to article Brexit? We have heard of this, says Dixons Carphone CEO

The UK's vote to leave the European Union has not dampened UK shoppers’ gadget lust, according to Dixons Carphone, which has reported a four per cent year-on-year hike in Q1 sales for the 13 weeks ended 30 July. The consumer electronics and mobile tech borg, created in 2014, saw sales bounce across the entire group – led for …

1. The Godfather
    Meh

Hang on. ...

We've not left yet...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang on. ...

Exactly.

The initial news sparked a panic on the markets and the BoE had to step into action but the real test will come if and when we finally leave.

1. Paul Shirley

The financial markets are irrational, responding to unexpected changes in largely unpredictable ways, while nothing changes about brexit they're straight back to checking whether birds have started the winter migration when predicted and counting cracks in the pavement before tossing a coin about how they feel about it! Makes it very easy to pretend nothings wrong.

While May is still stonewalling it would be wasted effort for business to do more than contingency planning and inadvisable to go public about the details. The longer May waits though, the faster they'll be able to move later, so it's only borrowing against the future disruption.

Meanwhile the voting public haven't been affected by the fall in the pound, price rises haven't worked through yet on imports. Brexiteers are loudly shouting about exports and if you don't look hard things look great. The ones that know what's coming know they should spend now not later.

I'm left wondering what would have happened if Boris&Gove had succeeded in their cynical plan to delay signing A50 for years. Hard to believe this lull before the storm could have lasted that long.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The lull will keep going.

1) Us: "Lets talk about Brexit". Them: "You haven't activated article 50"

2) Us: "A50 done. Now lets talk about Brexit". Them: "No rush, the deadline is 2 years away"

3) Us: "The deadline is approaching, and we do not want to get stuck with just the WTO treaties". Them "Would you like an extension?"

4) Us: "Extension please". Foreach(member of EU) {"We want "+consession[member]}

5) Us: "We might go for some of them, but not all". Them: "An extension requires unanimous agreement. Agree to everything or we will ask for more"

6) Us: Cancel A50, and delay a referendum until the older Brexits are dead || fall back on WTO || accept whatever shit the EU dumps on us.

I was expected a longer shouting match about who would be PM, so the politicians are make prompt regress with Brexit.

1. veti Silver badge

@Flocke Kroes: If the other EU members wilfully abuse the A50 process in the way you describe...

... that will prove, to my satisfaction at least, that the Brexiters were right all along, the EU has become an anti-democratic institution and deserves to be broken up by any means necessary.

It's an interesting paradox of Brexit that both Leave and Remain camps seemed half the time to be arguing each other's cases. But both were so incapable of elementary logic, and the 24 hour media was so hopeless at any sort of followup or continuity of argument, that they didn't even realise it.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

There was a report on the Radio yesterday about the possibility of some EU states trying to make the exit as onerous as possible for us simply to keep their own *exiteers in check.

We are gonna be screwed whichever way it goes.

Writing to my MP is a waste of time cos he was one of the leading pro-Brexiteers.

I already told him (and so did a good few others) that he's lost my vote.

We can only hope that there are enough disaffected tories that will vote against Article 50 in parliament.

Defeating any move by the government would however rely on Labout getting itself sorted out which sadly seems to be years if not decades away if JC remains leader.

Can we ask Ms Sturgeon to take his place as leader of the opposition because love or hate her she would be far more effetcive than JC in opposing Maggie Mk 2.

2. Yes Me Silver badge
          Mushroom

" if Boris&Gove had succeeded in their cynical plan to delay signing A50 for years"

What makes you think they haven't succeeded? The Dictatrix May knows that Brexit is a crock and has quite carefully only said that Article 50 won't be triggered yet. Once Davis etc. are forced to admit that no negotiations will happen before A50 and that no compromises on "free market == free movement of labour" will ever be made, she will be able to get away with dropping the whole nonsense. In the end she knows she needs a Commons vote for Brexit and won't get one on the appalling conditions that will be the only ones available. Write to your MP to ensure she or he insists on a vote and votes the right way, to save the country.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
            Headmaster

Oh, and BTW, the period after Article 50 is triggered is potentially infinite. Paragraph 3 of Article 50 says so: "The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period."

2. smartypants

Sshhh... Don't tell them we haven't left.

National unity can be reestablished if we don't leave but the people who wanted it think we already have. Finally, quantum mechanics meets politics! Rejoice!

3. ChrisBedford

We've not left yet...

Yeh but the point is, the fear-mongering Remainers spent as much time howling about a post-poll economic crash (as well as all manner of other bogeymen, including but not limited to riots in the streets, meltdown of all nuclear power stations, and earthquakes) as a post-Brexit crash.

But apart from a small currency correction, which *HELPED* Britain's exports and from which the country is now rapidly recovering, NOTHING HAPPENED.

Strewth, as of this writing every comment here that deals with Brexit is uniformly negative about the country's economic chances following actual exit. Come on, do you think Germany and France are going to say no, we'll stop selling motorcars to Britain if you want favourable tax rates? I can't believe you support the concept of a "parliament" of smarmy underworked, overfed EMPs chauffered around in Mercedes Benzes, dreaming up 32-page documents that define what a banana can or can't look like, and overriding decisions by the High Court.

PS *NOT* a Farage supporter, he's the smarmiest twat of them all. In fact I'm quite surprised he gets even gets it.

2. Pen-y-gors

Eat, drink and be merry

...for tomorrow we (may or may not) die.

Buy the pretty bling now while you have money, 'cos you'll be broke when your employer moves to Dusseldorf and forgets to tell you.

3. djstardust

If Comet hadn't went bust

It might have been a different story.

It's sorta convenient when your main competitor disappears and masks the fact you really are a shit company.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK shoppers + Dixons

sad combination...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: UK shoppers + Dixons

Average UK shoppers + Dixons

sad combination...

There fixed it for you

There are other places to go for the rest of us who are voting with our feet and never going near the place again. If they improved their service.... well pigs might fly.

IMHO, they are the Sports Direct of the electronics business.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not necessarily. It has its uses.

You cannot really wait the 3-4 days it takes for Amazon or Cooperative electricals to deliver white goods if you have a family with kids and the washing machine has decided finally (after 7 years of daily abuse and multiple repairs) to bend its axle.

According to the Murphy's law it will do it on Friday night so the earliest you can get a new one from anywhere else is Tuesday.

That is the main use case - you go, tell the shop droid to load a new one into the boot and you are back up and running by Sat mid-day before the pile of dirty kid's clothes from [football | rugby | cycling | running | whatever other sport ] has filled half the kitchen.

The other primary use is minute shopping at LHR after realizing you have forgotten the kid's headphones (that is the only thing that is reasonably priced there and you really do not want to deal with plane rage after the rest of the plane has had enough listening to your sprog's choice of music or Angry birds for 3 hours).

Buying anything else though... You have to be an idiot - there is plenty of other places to get what you want, for less money and with a better spec.

1. BebopWeBop

and better service

2. Down not across

According to the Murphy's law it will do it on Friday night so the earliest you can get a new one from anywhere else is Tuesday.

I've found AO to be fairly decent alternative with their next day delivery.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've had Coop deliver on a Saturday after ordering Friday afternoon....

3. paulf

Re: UK shoppers + Dixons @Voland's right hand

"You cannot really wait the 3-4 days it takes for Amazon or Cooperative electricals to deliver white goods"

I've read quite a few comments over the years about how places like Slurry's usually don't have these big items to take away that day. The shops are just showrooms for their home delivery service so most stuff isn't in stock to load in the boot on demand except, possibly, for some of the most popular items. I guess YMMV if you've found stuff in stock like that as I usually don't when I've been moving house and just want a WM loaded in the van today.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we there yet?

No

6. energystar
    Facepalm

"...'No detectable impact'..."

The Stone Wall is there, just in front of you. Should be speeding down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like