back to article Nokia's 4.9G races Ericsson's almost-5G, yet the finishing line is a mirage

At Mobile World Congress this year, Nokia emerged as the most aggressively "5G-ready" of the big vendors, while Huawei was still stressing "4.5G", a term it coined, but which has been widely adopted. This week saw Nokia going one better with "4.5G Pro" and even "4.9G", recalling the build-up to LTE, when some vendors and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The latest...

Mobile wireless platform will be called "10" with no "G" prefix, and will be updated for the life of the device, it will be our last release of W̶i̶n̶d̶o̶w̶s̶ telecommunications technology we release.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speed?

So, what does this mean in typical MB/s when you're using your smartphone then? I mean, when I finally get a proper multi tasking phone, will I be able to watch a cat video whilst ignoring auto running videos on facebook and announcing to the world on twitter that I'll wear the brown trousers today?

Not that it matters to me, as a PAYG customer with deep pockets and short arms...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Still happily plodding along in 2G land here :D

4. Kevin Johnston

Labelling for Sales

All this hyperbole and stretched deployment simply produces an environment where the difference in capability between the bleeding edge city centre installs and the sleepy valley edge of coverage moves from a flat(ish) slope to a hyperbolic curve.

Or in other words, it's gone from some simple standards to complete bollocks

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Labelling for Sales

Yes, it's mostly nonsense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like