back to article Speaking in Tech: Windows is coming to smart refrigerators

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise This week, our tech news podcast host, Ed Saipetch and Greg Knieriemen chat with Podcast Idol contestant Peter Smallbone, an IT architect in the UK. The trio discuss SpaceX, Galaxy Note, smart refrigerators and Apple’s tax problems in Ireland. The details…. (0:00) Follow …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows on Fridges?

When it detects out of date food inside, it will lock the door until the owner pays MS an upgrade surcharge to get it opened again.

I dear to think what happens when (and not if) it BSOD's.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows on Fridges?

(a) my fridge doesn;t need to be smart, it just needs to keep stuff cool

(b) even if I wanted a 'smart' fridge' I'd want a smart operating system to run it - which counts Windows out.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I just dont get the ( im gonna call em "futurists"'s ) obsession with putting computers in fridges . This is one of the oldest ideas in tech .

Its gotta be almost as old as the "Do your grocery shopping online" idea - which has been around since "Tommorows world " in the early 80s.

That took until about 1996 to actually happen , when the general populous took the fantastic information sharing phenomenon that is the internet and turned it into a shopping mall. Thankfully we can still use it for other stuff.

I suppose getting the fridge to do the online shopping for you is the next logical progression. Call me a luddite but thats a step too far!

It is for me anyway, live alone , dunno when im in , fridge stock consumption highly erratic , and is mainly beer. i dont need it computerised - but i guess your average family who "consume" like there is no tomorrow could benefit from a machine to make sure they never run out of olives for the G&T, and snax for the kidz. Not gonna help the obesity crisis though. Unless they put the fridge on "Lets not trough like its a bottomless pit" setting.

changed my mind - great idea!

1. Captain Badmouth
          Facepalm

"to make sure they never run out of olives for the G&T"

Olives for the martini shewerly?

Limes, cucumber or possibly lemon for the G&T....

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Don't forget that not everything you buy on a trip to the Supermarket goes in the fridge. I'd go even further and say that some things should not be put in the fridge.

How is my fridge going to know when I need Washing powder/tables/liquid?

How is my fridge going to know when I need bog rolls?

Like with pretty well al IoT solutions they need a question to be asked first.

Paris coz even she should know not to put bread into the fridge.

2. BenDwire Silver badge
      Coat

BSOD?

That's about to become BMOD - Blue Mould Of Death

(Mould = Mold for our US cousins)

2. Alan Bourke

WHY

for the love of sanity. We can't keep the stuff on the internet that's supposed to be on the internet secure, why the fuck are we connecting fridges?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: WHY

Money...

Selling your personal information to advertisers is not enough... now they want to know the contents of your fridge too !

3. h4rm0ny

I wonder what the past would think of the future.

I mean there's the usual "you call that music" nonsense that is just a matter of tastes changing and older people not changing with it, but then you get something like this. We have smart thermostats that learn when you'll be home, when you get up, etc. We have Google learning what you buy to filter what things you're offered, we have Facebook learning what your political bias is so that you can only be fed stories that confirm your world view rather than anything that might upset it and cause cognitive dissonance... And now smart fridges that will learn what you like to eat and order it in for you, almost certainly there will be programs that "suggest" meals and send them over...

I imagine people of fifty years ago would look at us over the next decade and consider us the most helpless generation in the history of humanity.

1. Arctic fox

@h4rm0ny Re: "I wonder what the past would think of the future."

I would agree that this world wide high speed echo-chamber we call the web with its proliferation of debate-fora is (ref your comment about FarceBook) having all sorts of unexpected socio-political effects (also some very antisocial effects i.e. the nastier type of trolling and flaming). However, I also think that retail goods go from being new and innovative to being commoditized in ever shorter periods of time with the result that manufacturers are in an increasingly desperate race to come up with the next new thing. The consequence is that the proportion of goods that are being designed as solutions in search of an application becomes ever greater (and ever more foolish!). I will of course not be buying a smart fridge regardless of which OS it is running on. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder what the past would think of the future.

I imagine people of fifty years ago would look at us over the next decade and consider us the most helpless generation in the history of humanity.

Zager and Evans pretty much nailed it:

In the year 3535

Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie

Everything you think, do and say

Is in the pill you took today

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Obvious really

Fridges are getting far more intelligent than the users and need to be dumbed down.

5. adnim
    Joke

Windows running my fridge?

Does this mean I don't need a cooker?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My fridge works. Why would I want to put windows 10 anywhere near it ?

7. BobChip
    Joke

Fail-in-the-making

Windows on a fridge? At least you could see what was in it without opening the door! The exciting possibilities are endless!

I'm sorry, you can't open the door for the next hour and a half. Update in progress.

I can't let you put that brand of beer in here. It's not supported by M$.

Your SAAS subscription has run out. Door is locked. Pay up or everything melts.

I don't like what you said about me on Linked In ........

Oh yes. Endless possibilities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fail-in-the-making

Your SAAS subscription has run out. Door is locked. Pay up or everything melts.

That should be "Your FAAS subscription has run out. Door is locked. Pay up or everything melts." Pronounced farce, since that's been Microsoft's biggest business for years.

8. MotionCompensation

Smart fridge

I have a smart fridge. It's smart enough to turn the light on when I open the door and off when I close it. An LED lamp mind you, it even has one in the top freezer. That will be all the fridge innovation I need for the next 15 years, thank you.

1. Bob Rocket

Re: Smart fridge

it's smart enough to make you think it has turned the light off

1. Chemist

"it's smart enough to make you think it has turned the light off"

I've got a pie pi in mine keeping an eye on it

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

You're stuffed if the fridge and the Pi are having a clandestine affair

2. energystar
      Paris Hilton

I checked light turns off with my smart-phone video. Should I trust my smart-phone?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows on a fridge? I think that's been done.

Okay, haven't listened to the podcast, personally I'd prefer to read a transcript. But I'm pretty certain I recall hearing about LG releasing an "internet fridge" when I was in high-school (so, late 90s) which ran Windows CE.

It was about as successful as you'd imagine.

10. Lion

It is all about advertising revenue. A rolling screen of W10 ads. This is Windows as a Service.

Will Windows Defender issue a security alert if fur is detected growing on the carrots. Will Outlook send you email messages for what other people also bought when they purchased the product you just loaded into your fridge? Will the Windows Store carry grocery items? Will you be presented with an Excel spreadsheet to scrutinize your grocery purchases on a weekly basis? Hopefully not.

If Samsung does it, Microsoft follows suit. Windows 10 IoT Core has its application, but why follow a lost leader like this one.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'm sorry

But you need Win4Fridge 64bit Pro if you want to keep Wenslydale in here, please upgrade today, or I will defrost all your TV dinners.

BTW, Why does the carotene in carrots never crash??

It is, after all, BETA carotene.

BAD joke alert.

12. David_42

My fridge contains about 10% of the food in my house, monitoring this small portion of the total has zero value. I suspect there will be a few people that will purchase a smart fridge, just as there are a few people who will replace a $3 light bulb with a $95 net-connected bulb that will burn out just as quickly. I had a bunch of X-10 devices installed in my home about 20 years ago. Realizing that I was replacing $1 switches with a multi-decade life with $20 devices that lasted about 3 years, cured me.

13. Paul 129
    Coat

MS Fridge

Don't forget the upgrades that remove functionality.

Hi, your fridge has upgraded to the latest version whilst you were away.

Sorry you don't have a license for Fridge educational, Cooling has been disabled.

Fridge educational licensing is required if you want to store "MILK" in this device

It appears you have some spoiled product, ORDER REPLACEMENT*

click the * to see what has spoiled

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But if it was linux it still would be crap. I don't want any OS running on my fridge. Will the smart fridge be like the smart TVs were they remove features ? Oh and you can bet regardless of the OS there will be endless streams of ads.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What fridges really need.

IMHO a fridge needs 2 things and 2 things alone.

1. Electricity to power them (crucially the pump within)

2. Food to keep chilled (frozen if it has a freezer compartment)

I apologise in advance to anyone that my opinion may upset (and anticipate lots of down votes)

Why do manufacturers feel the need to put the word "SMART" with appliances (yes I am including phones in this statement - as I've used a number of them and found them all to be absolute SHIT - hence why I used a bog standard 3g phone that just phones and texts).

SMART seems to used with appliances to mask the fact that it's user is anything but (if they had any intelligence they would realise that the appliance is just a hyper-priced useless novelty).

16. Tim Seventh
    Joke

Windows coming to refrigerators

Oh goodies, windows on the fridge! now I can see-through the fridge without opening the door!

Oh wait what is this blue thing, windows 10 "something happened?"

17. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Windows is coming to smart refrigerators"

I doubt it. If the fridge is so smart, it would never allow Windows in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like