back to article UK Labour man Owen Smith: If you wanna be a leader, you gotta stop with that lens

The campaign for a leadership candidate for the UK's Labour party, Owen Smith, accidentally tweeted a photo that showed the login details for the campaign's phone bank system over the weekend. Security experts have chided the Labour leadership candidate for the cockup, which follows similar mistakes by organisers of the World …

1. lansalot

oh..

"Clearly no harm was done"?

How do you know?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: oh..

>How do you know?

No money in the account, it's all been spent on rent boys.

2. Naselus

Re: oh..

"How do you know?"

Well, it was Owen Smith who tweeted it, so there's only like 4 people following the account.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Demonstrating yet again

Although there are lots of examples of truly shoddy security implemented in software, more often than not the weakest link in the security chain is the meatware.

1. AlbertH

Re: Demonstrating yet again...

... the PICNIC fault - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

4. wolfetone Silver badge
    Mushroom

Owen Smith

Wants to be the one in charge of the nuclear codes.

Think about that while looking at the photo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: Owen Smith

Never trust someone who actually wants to get their hands on the control of nuclear weapons...

1. BebopWeBop

Oh I don't know. That chap, whassis name Strangelove,, seemed pretty sane all things considered and compared with many of the current incumbents.

2. Warm Braw

I thought the surest way to launch the nukes was to take Radio 4 off the air.

Up until last year you'd have had more to fear from maverick announcer Peter Donaldson than the PM.

5. MJI Silver badge

Owen Thingy

Anyway where are the piccies of the login?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“There’s going to be some red faces in the Owen Smith campaign office. Clearly no harm was done, but it’s a perfect example of people being a huge security risk,” he added.

Given that one of their former chappies got us involved in all this terror stuff I'd say it's more specifically an example of Labour people being a huge security risk..

1. edge_e
      Headmaster

Given that one of their former chappies

you seem to have confused Labour with NuLabour.

7. Queeg

Arse..Two hands...Map...Guide Dog...GPS Unit...

Nuff Said.

8. mr_souter_Working

come one - maybe he's smarter than you give him credit

personally, if i was a non-entity that wanted to be someone (rather than a non-entity that is happy to remain one, as i currently am), then posting a picture with what appears to be live login details for something (anything), would be pretty guaranteed to get people talking about me (i've never heard of him before). the login details do not need to be correct - or they could have been changed immediately after the picture was taken, before it was posted. unless someone tested and confirmed that those details were (or maybe still are) live, i wouldn't judge him too harshly.

on the other hand, if some bloody idiot did accidentally post a picture of live login details to the internet, then hell bloody mend them for whatever damage is done - at the very least, someone logging in and changing the password to something else.

:D

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What with the grammar school plans being photographed and this, I'm beginning to think The Thick of it was actually a documentary rather than a satire.

We vote for these people, how stupid are we...

10. Captain Badmouth
    Happy

Citizen Smith

More here :

https://paddyfrench1.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/citizen-smith/

11. tr1ck5t3r

The INTJ thing to do is have various AI's watching the the various human output channels including TV looking for things it can recognise. Its not too hard to use upgraded document scanning algo's to automatically capture data that might come in useful, even its a computer printed piece of paper hanging on a noticeboard in the background of a TV news article.

I wonder how many people realise how much private data is inadvertently leaked on a daily basis by everyone and anyone in ways you cant possibly imagine.

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"... it’s a perfect example of people being a huge security risk,” he added."

Keep people away from computers. Problem solved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"... it’s a perfect example of people being a huge ....” he added."

In Smiths case a number of alternate endings to that sentence spring to mind.

13. druck Silver badge
    FAIL

Tweeting logins are the least of the man's worries. Despite the large proportion of Labour supporters who voted for Brexit, he wants to fight the next election with a policy of rejoining the EU - which would mean no opt outs, no rebate, and having to join the Euro - even the most rabid remainder would have to admit we'd be vastly worse off with that deal than currently.

1. Captain Badmouth
      Windows

"even the most rabid remainder would have to admit we'd be vastly worse off with that deal than currently."

Definitely.

We can only hope that the current leave shambles continues and that, come the next election, article 50 will still be un-implemented and so an election can be fought on the "Oh, it was a terrible mistake, we want to stay in..." basis.

Icon : Future city worker?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like