back to article iPhone outsells Galaxy

Apple snatched the bestseller crown back from Samsung in Q2, despite Apple’s woes in China. The iPhone 6s outsold the Galaxy S7, moving 14.2 million units between April and June, according to Strategy Analytics. The smaller iPhone 6 took second spot, with an estimated 8.5m units moving. That put it slightly ahead of the S7 …

1. Mage Silver badge

Meh

Both are too expensive.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting that IDC show that Apple's total sales are falling faster than any of the top 5 (Apple YoY -15%, Samsung YoY +5% and that Samsung sells almost twice as many phones as Apple (77 million vs 40 million last quarter).

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS41636516

Oh, you meant that a particular model of iPhone outsold a particular model of Samsung Galaxy, not that iPhone outsold Galaxy. Statistics are great aren't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It seems that

a one year old model (well almost) of iDevice outsells Samsungs latest flagship phone that is being heavily advertised.

As for IDC, I put them in the same basket as Gartner, the wates basket.

I'm kinda enjoying the Apple vs Samsung fight. As I don't use a smartphone it is rather fun to watch.

1. Down not across

Re: It seems that

a one year old model (well almost) of iDevice outsells Samsungs latest flagship phone that is being heavily advertised.

I suspect part of the reason for lacklustre S7 sales has been people waiting for the Note 7. Especially since Note 5 was not officially sold worldwide, many people in the market for that possibly were waiting for the Note 7.

I'm not saying that would've necessarily tipped the scales, but seems like a likely factor in the numbers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: It seems that

Given that the Note 7 only shipped 2 million (sales would be less) in its first two weeks of launch, there doesn't seem to have been a huge pent up demand for it that would account for that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple's sales are falling off a peak because with the iPhone 6 they simultaneously satisfied the pent up demand of "people who want larger iPhones" and of "China Mobile customers". So it is hardly surprising and doesn't mean the fall is the start of a trend, just that there are no large sectors of pent up demand left for them to exploit. i.e. no prospects for any major growth, there's just the upgrade market and no phones are adding any new features that make them a "must upgrade" whether they are from Apple or Samsung.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon