back to article 4G hits 1.9Gbps

Finnish mobile carrier “Elisa” says it's achieved 1.9 gigabits per second speeds on 4G kit. It was done in the lab, of course, rather than in the real world. But the carrier is nonetheless claiming a world record for 4G data transfer. The speed was achieved using Huawei kit, with the Chinese company using the achievement to …

1. Fullbeem

Right well thats all well and good but can we get BT to keep a steady 50mbps as promised and not 5mpbs

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

HSDPA promises up to 337.5 Mbit/sec but I rarely see more then about 1-2Mbit/sec on my phone.

So in reality is 4G going to give me something like 10Mbit?

1. Adam JC

I doubt it, I can hit 107Mbit/sec outside my house within 500m of a 4G mast in a fairly highly populated area, so it's not all 'pie in the sky' figures.

1. Mage Silver badge

I can hit 107Mbit/sec outside my house

Maybe the neighbours are all on WiFi and it's not near major road and you have near LOS and people in the area are using other providers. Just three people there streaming HD video will take it under 20Mbps. That's a meaningless report simply aiding the Mobile industry who are mis-selling Mobile as an alternate to real broadband and undercutting price by subsidising data with voice call charges.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

It's nonsense

You can have any speed you like ...

Just aggregate loads of 20MHz channels, when in the real world due to "competition" the channels are split between operators and rarely 20MHz. Cell concept needs a minimum of 3 channels per mast (120 degree sectors) and ideally 9 channels to stop the masts beyond the next one interfering.

Also up the QAM to infeasible levels only suitable for cable that needs perfect signals with no interference.

We were at the limits of bits per Hz spectrum for real world over 15 years ago.

This is NOTHING to do with 5G or Huawei kit, just a promo. The 5G is about integration of different infrastructures and to a secondary extend channel aggregation between bands.

There is no free lunch. No-one can repeal the laws of Thermodynamics, which is basis of Shannon-Nyquist law.

Really annoys me to see these nonsense press releases. Even if every lamp post was base station no-one is even going to see consistent 100Mbps, that would only be like universal WiFi. Note that even WiFi speeds are nonsense as they quoted for ONE connected user, perfect signal BOTH ways and no co-channel interference and MIMO in the CLIENT, not just base.

Don't even get me started on nonsenses such as "White Space" or "Spectrum Sharing",

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon