back to article Next Mars landing scheduled for Monday, November 26th, 2018

We're going back to Mars, quite probably on Monday, November 26th, 2018. So says NASA, which late last week announced that its revised schedule for the Mars InSight mission has been approved by the agency's Science Mission Directorate. The Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport (InSight …

1. James 51

I am guessing attaching a fan with a tiny radioactive heat source to power it isn't going to do the job of keeping the panels clean. Nor wipers either for that matter.

2. Lotaresco
    Boffin

Clearing solar panels

Why not take a leaf from the book of manufacturers of DSLRs and vibrate the solar panels occasionally to shake off the dust?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Clearing solar panels

Simply put the problem is weight. If you add something to vibrate the panels, that means you have to add the weight of the vibrators, that weight needs to be supported by the structure, which adds more weight, the vibrators also probably need motors of some sort, there's more weight, and they'll need power, which means you need bigger batteries, which means even more weight.

Every kilo you want to add, means you have to add significantly more weight to the rocket, and hence the whole thing has a huge effect on the cost. In the end, it's usually just easier and a site load cheaper, to design it for the base number of years and hope for good conditions to take it beyond that...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" If you add something to vibrate the panels, that means you have to add the weight of the vibrators, "

The work on small "insect" devices has found lightweight solutions to making movements with various materials. Build that into the solar cells to use either spare capacity at full sun - or even the diurnal temperature difference as a direct effect.

1. JamieL

Something like the bimetal strips in old-fashioned thermostats. Goes "pop" one way at night when cold and "pop" the other way in the day when warm - daily flapping for very little extra weight (you need mounting arms anyway) and self-powered.

2. Lotaresco

" the vibrators also probably need motors of some sort"

They don't need motors in the sense of heavy electrical motors. The vibrators used in DSLRs are lightweight piezoelectric units which have low power requirements. They also don't need to vibrate constantly, just occasionally, which could easily be timed for moments when batteries are fully charged and there is low power drain. Yes, I understand that lifting mass to Mars has costs and consequences. I doubt that the extra weight would be in kilos, however, and the payback is that you don't need as many solar cells since you don't have to oversize the photovoltaic array to cope with the effects of degradation of performance by dust.

1. Yesnomaybe

Presumably the panels need to be folded out somehow. Could they not use the existing mechanism with a few modifications for durability to lever the panels up vertically every now and then?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"In the end, it's usually just easier and a site load cheaper, to design it for the base number of years and hope for good conditions to take it beyond that..."

And since it's going to be a static lander, the opportunities for additional science beyond the 2 year expected lifespan are going to be limited anyway. Anyway, we should never forget that 2 years is the expected minimum lifespan of the lander. NASA are GOOD at engineering. So long as it survives the landing, and their recent track record is good, then I expect it'll be going for at least 4 years.

3. Scott Broukell
    Meh

No Problem . . .

I feel quite sure that once the craft is stationary for a short while a little green, bug-eyed, alien will pop out of nowhere with a bucket and squeegee to clean up the panels and then demand 200 Galactic Credits for his efforts.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: No Problem . . .

How much is that in Altairian Dollars?

1. Tom 7

Got change for a Zonk?

2. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

ive only got fiddling small change Ningi's unless you can change up a Triganic Pu for me..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its Mars for me!!....

....then a Milky Way and finally, a twix.....yum

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Its Mars for me!!....

Oooo....are we starting another pun Marathon? (Yeah, I know they call them "Snickers" now, but that sounds way less appetising and the pun doesn't work)

5. Small Furry Animal

... but what time?

Looking at my diary, I seem to be fairly busy on 26/11/18. Any chance of a precise time?

1. Mark 85
      Trollface

Re: ... but what time?

Since we can only see Mars at night.... it'll be when it's dark out. Not precise but that's up to the boffins.

6. mIRCat
    Pint

For less than the price of a pint a day...

“The additional cost will not delay or cancel any current missions, though there may be fewer opportunities for new missions in future years, from fiscal years 2017-2020,” NASA says.

Somebody get the poor sods some funding! Can.. can we start them a patreon?

Rather than buy them a pint, throw that loose pocket change into a collection bowl and see how fast it all adds up.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vertical

Can they mount the panels vertically to avoid dust? depending on latitude they may get more sun that way too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like