1. Tony Smith, Ed, Reg Hardware

This week I have been reading...

Saga 02 - 8/10

Witchblade 155 - 7/10

Red Sonja 65 - 9/10

The Walking Dead 96 - 9/10

2000AD 1778 (digital as week behind paper) - 8/10 [but the current Dredd saga is 10/10]

Danger Girl Revolver 03 - 7/10

Vampirella 16 8/10

What about the rest of you?

1. Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

Re: This week I have been reading...

The Writer on the Hill by Ruskin Bond

2. M Gale

Mostly?

Differential equations and image processing algorithms. Damned university coursework.

That said, there's that Battlefield 3 book by Andy McNab that's waiting for me to get the time to start on it. It's been waiting for the last three months.

3. Bob726

Books

I'm currently reading What Are You Looking At? by Will Gompertz, which is about modern art.

4. BoldMan

The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stoss

5. Peladon

Well, I'm...

… probably prejudiced (blush). I tend to spend rather too much time re-reading (Editors sort of insist :-P), or looking at what I just wrote and wondering if I need therapy (the jury’s still out :-P ).

However, recently I have in fact been readin. Reading words wot I didn't actually write. Here are three of them. Well, not three words :-):

DOWN HOME – Gail Roughton

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099WA05A

CHILDREN OF HAMELIN – Theresa Sinclair

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RYSLSK

BEAST OF BURDEN – Angela Robbins

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC6VEZW

Declaration of Interest: I know Ms Roughton and Ms Robbins, though I’ve never met either. Anti-Declaration: I bought and paid for copies of all three of the above without talking to any of the authors, and of my own choice and free will :-).

Without going into full review mode, DOWN HOME isn’t my usual Sci-Fi/ Fantasy side of the street. It’s a combination of Deep South flavour and mystery/ thriller type fare. But while (with apologies to Charlie Daniels) I don’t drive a pickup truck, I’m more than partial to a little fried chicken on occasion. Down Home provided it, if only metaphorically :-). I started reading it while fixing my rather sick PC, and realised a few hours later the damn machine still wasn’t fixed – but that I’d just read a pretty good book, so it wasn’t all bad :-).

CHILDREN OF HAMELIN is a little different. Actually, it's a lot different, or I found it so at least. I told someone recently I like writers who surprise me, and Ms Sinclair certainly managed that. Yes, it’s a re-telling of the Pied Piper story, but from a totally different perspective and with a remarkably strong Voice. And I was fine thinking that as I read it. Then the Lady Theresa did it to me. Having told me a tale I’d rather enjoyed, from an engaging point of view I hadn’t seen before, she switched my head-space over. She told it to me again – but from a totally different view. Books in first person aren’t uncommon. Books in two first-persons, showing the same events from the perspectives of two very different personalities, rather less so. For me, it worked. A lot :-).

And BEAST OF BURDEN. I don’t read a lot of YA (Young Adult) – but this one I read. It’s Ms Robbins first book, and it mixes Egyptian and Norse myth backgrounds. It’s YA, so there has to be a cute girl and guy who’s either cute or the one you hated not being when you were at school (depending on your gender and preferences). And yes, theyhave classic boy-girl conflicts. Heck, they fight like cat and dog. Which isn’t really that surprising, since one’s a werewolf (but there’s no Twilight here – and no vampires), and she’s a cougar, even if she’s a bit young for the role :-).

Heh. It’s OK. I’ll shut up now… and go read something else :-).

6. dfgdg

Damned university coursework.

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

Rereading...

Legacy of Heorot - Niven, Pournelle, and Barnes (no relation!)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Rereading...

I didn't really like that one. Although I'm a big fan of Niven, and Niven + Pournelle. I did really like Dream Park though, which is Barnes too isn't it?

Co-incidentally I'm re-reading The Burning Road, having just finished The Burning Tower. Which is just Niven and Pournelle. Very much enjoying it. Although it's not one of their best.

I should have written on this topic before. I moved before Christmas, and I've got all my boxes of books out of storage (after ten years). I built up a new collection in that time (oops), although I wasn't reading as much as before, until recently. But now it's like having bought several hundred new books, because I've got all this stuff that I can re-read. In the case of the Burning Road I couldn't remember reading it before, until I was about 100 pages in.

I don't consider a book any good until I've read it through a second time. If it won't bear a re-reading then I think it's lacking something important, even if I enjoyed it the first time.

8. Avarial

Download and read my book from Amazon - its called 'Server Room Seduction' by Emma Appleton - i have put it up for free download for the next 24 hours. It is set in 1999 and for those of you old enough to remember those bad old days it will make you smile, for everyone else, well the server room may never be the same again!

Emma

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Server-Room-Seduction-Emma-Appleton-ebook/dp/B00GR1VOE2

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

TACTICAL AWARENESS by Marcelo Rinesi

A free collection of 100 (very) short SF stories.

Teaser here

PDF download here

10. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

http://boingboing.net/2016/07/06/happy-chilcot-day-a-fairy-sto.html

11. Brian W. Smith

Case history

This week I read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. In this book author described the case histories of some of his patients. It’s my first book about neurology and psychology. The man’s story is my favorite. Want to read more about human brain possibilities.

12. ed_p

Just a bit of light reading I got from http://www.menkind.co.uk/occasions/birthday-gifts-for-him that I had planned to gift to friend. But, uh...didn't, he got a nice pair of socks though.

Next up is the 'Book of The Shed', can't wait.

13. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just started John Cleese's autobiography.

14. DidierAubin87

I have read Harry Potter again. I know I'm too old to do it but I'm just too addicted in the novel.

15. Len Goddard

Not reading

The register. No new content for a week. Did I miss something?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Not reading

El Reg is taking the week off. Something about multi-denominational holidays happening at the beginning of each year, starting roughly on the 21st of December. Might want to look into it, I hear it can be a whole lot of boozing spending guilt family angst fun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon