back to article Beautiful, efficient, data-sucking Smart Cities: Why do you give us the creeps?

“Smart Cities” have been heavily promoted by tech giants like IBM, and the idea excites the pulse of fad-chasing technocrats and wonks. Huawei has also heavily promoted the vision, and the commercial logic to do so is sound. It is clearly hoping to shift its high end network management gear into a market where the customers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This....

Perhaps Smart Cities aren’t happening because of the slow motion car crash of IoT, with its lousy security.

AND

Pervasive Data collection

Means that they need to know everything about you, your life and friends and relatives and ... and ...

all in order to 'Improve the service we deliver to you'.

I don't F**king care about smart cities if I have to be actively tracked, have ads slung at them, everything I do fed to some AI system somewhere and also to the NSA, GCHQ etc etc in order for me to go about my peacable business.

I already turn off 3G/4G data and WiFi on my devices when in a town or city unless I really need to use them. I do not want to be part of the IoT or smart cities if it means surrendering what little privacy I have left in this world.

The rest of my thoughts on the matter are mostly unrepeatable.

2. Neil Alexander

The ironic thing here is that not everything in a smart city needs to be heavily networked in order to be "smart".

A street light that dims when nobody is around needs a dumb heat/motion sensor, and that's about it. At worst, it might want to know about the nearest few street lights and their motion sensing too, but it doesn't need to know about me, you or anyone else individually, and it doesn't really need to be networked with street lights some miles away. Road junctions can be monitored in volume of traffic and not necessarily by following individual vehicles around using ANPR. Some traffic lights already can detect oncoming traffic to stop people sitting at red lights unnecessarily - no citywide network needed there either.

The problem isn't making things smart. The problem is making things too networked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A street light that dims when nobody is around needs a dumb heat/motion sensor, and that's about it. At worst, it might want to know about the nearest few street lights and their motion sensing too, but it doesn't need to know about me, you or anyone else individually, and it doesn't really need to be networked with street lights some miles away.

Actually, from the lighting O&M people's perspective, you wouldn't automate or upgrade highways lighting without networking - local timer or sensor control ALWAYS goes wrong eventually, damaged or defective lights can report themselves, and you can play tricks to save more energy at certain times, as well as responding to any changing needs. Look on a lot of recently upgraded streetlights and you'll see they have what look like a router on them. And that's broadly speaking what it is, using the streetlighting to create a mesh network. You can (if you like the IoT and Smart City ideas) then use that mesh network for a lot of other things.

So if you are doing that smart city thing, by default of course you'd network the lighting. But personally I think this whole smart city thing is dystopian nightmare, dreamed up by those who do indeed think that you can never collect too much data on people.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Security of IoT x Pervassive Surveillance X Direct remote control of transport signalling

Yeah

What could possibly go wrong with this plan except everything?

Sound like Creepy Eric Schmidt's and Mark Zuckerberg's idea of Tomorrowland.

4. Bucky 2

We're going to have to burst Huawei's belief in the Platonic ideal. Perhaps make them take freshman Humanities again, and require a passing grade this time.

The problem with the Philosopher King is that such a person doesn't exist in real life.

We distribute power rather than concentrate it not because it's more efficient, but because it's safer.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"the vision only really seems to being put into practice by authoritarian city-state strongmen."

Apart from the vendors I can't think of anyone else who'd want it.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I can think of people wanting this, and those are not happy thoughts.

6. c1ue

Smart Cities purely a vendor construct

Smart Cities is a misnomer.

I've done a lot of work with parking. Street parking in cities is a huge problem.

However, the root of this problem is a complete and utter lack of the most basic data.

Cities don't even know how much street parking exists in any given area - outside of the ones which are metered - much less give a crap what happens to said supply when construction permits are issued, "urban renewal" projects are initiated which allow store owners to take over street parking, etc.

The sad reality is that city actions - certainly in the realm of parking, and I would expect this in most other areas - arise when sufficient citizens scream rather than through any proactive desire to do good.

I've been in meetings where the city Transport Commissioner was raked over the coals by over 150 irate citizens in a single district.

This same city employs a lot of "Smart City" tech - yet they have a tremendous parking and traffic problem. They've got the induction sensors at chokepoints, they've got the traffic cams, they've got the traffic light control systems - but none of this matters since zoning boards both lack data and would likely ignore it anyway due to "influencers".

7. Stevie

Bah!

Not to worry. At the End of Time these so-called "Smart Cities" will all be insane, babbling nonsense to The Dancers.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

Smartphones, Smart TVs, now Smart Cities

Every time the word "smart" has been associated to something, in the end it's all about sending as much personal info about you to whoever owns the design of the object. Smartphone apps often try to control everything about the phone to send to the app developer, smart TVs send your viewing data back to the TV maker, and now smart cities want to know where you are all the time.

I don't care what "better" ads you have in store for me. Stop spying on my life !

9. Matthew Taylor

Cantankerous middle aged men/women like me (and many other El Reg readers) will never bow to our data overlords, but youngsters will grow up with such surveillance, and regard it as normal. We will end up bewildered, impotently shaking our fists. All together now - "It's the ciiiiircle of life"

10. strum

Luddite central

I never thought that The Register would become the Luddite News.

Cities need to be smart. The alternative is dumb.

And it doesn't necessitate hoovering up tons of personal data - for the most part, it's simply knowing how existing facilities are being used, in order to ensure they keep working (if they can be made to work better, that's a bonus). Indeed, personal data is sod all use to a smart city; it needs impersonal data.

Transport for London (for instance) works much better with smartness, than it ever did with traditional dumbness. It doesn't need to know where I am travelling - only that someone is travelling, on a certain route at a certain time.

Grow up, guys. These computer things are bound to catch on, one of these days.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is all very scary, largely more than feared !

I had the opportunity to work for a big smart city project, in a non-european country.

I remember this conversation with the (totally bonkers) customer PM:

- me: erm, we won't be connecting the public CCTV monitoring system with the smart home cams systems !

- him: of course it needs to be connected !

- me: ...

It's not known whether they did it at the end, but the fact we had this conversation is telling, regarding the rest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like