back to article Judge spikes 'dumbest literary agent' Wikipedia suit

An American judge has dismissed a flimsy defamation suit against the cult of Wikipedia. With a recent ruling (PDF), New Jersey Superior Court Judge James Perri chucked the famous Wikipedia class action brought by New York literary agent Barbara Bauer. Bauer sued Wikipedia's parent operation - the Wikimedia Foundation - at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

That's what you get...

... if you don't shag the boss.

Some sack time with Jimmy and she could have had this all sorted in 5 minutes.

2. Zmodem

she just could be

any1 who can be assed and afford a court case would normally go for the full britani box set

3. Tim

Are the books bad?

I have never read one of her books so are they really that bad?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

IMO...

I think that section 230 is wrong to allow sites immunity if they permit anonomous posting. I think Wiki should be accountable until the users are fully accountable and identifiyable individuals. Someone must be accountable at all times.

5. amanfromMars Silver badge

A Clever but InSane Ruling is just too SMART to be True...... and a Cop Out*

"You can question the sanity of other American judges, but Judge Perri is among the more level headed. He's well aware of the protections laid down by Section 230. "Wikipedia is a provider and user of an 'interactive computer service' and is therefore immune from all claims asserted against it," reads his ruling."

I would certainly then question Judge Perri's sanity if he were to persist with that as a Simple Ruling....... and thus is the implication that certified Insane would be more appropriate unless there is any other Class which would Suit.

* An Interesting Reward Structure for the Intellectually Challenged Toying with Untouchables and Preying on Untouchability.

6. chatterbox

Re: Are the books bad?

A literary agent is *supposed* to match up a book with a publisher in exchange for a percentage of the royalties. Since far more books are written than can be published, the success rate for authors is fairly low and a lot of people become desperate for a taste of success. So there's a whole subculture of scammer agents who instead take the author's money up front and either never find a publisher for the book, or send it to a vanity press that demands yet more money from the author. This leads to a lot of bad writers being bilked for the privilege of being told their unpublishable works are masterpieces, and some good books being condemned to vanity publishing limbo where they won't be distributed properly, will find hardly any readers, and will not earn the money their authors deserve to get.

Barbara Bauer is one of the most notorious scam agents in the business, partly due to her habit of sending legal threats to anyone who criticises her. See here:

http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/twentyworst.html

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14895

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007440.html

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its a wiki story

Someone sues someone about stuff on the internet - no story

From some reading of other news articles, she sued more than just the wackypedia about internet criticism - the nature of the complaints seem to be that her charges for getting authors published were excessive for the (quality of?) the services she supplied - blogs and others.

The story is the doublethink that a WPian tried to avoid the allegations being repeated on the 'pedia but at the same time denied that he was trying to do so it and that the content on WP was in anyway patrolled or controllable.

AC cos I hack about on the disputed site myself for fun

8. Rob

Put Clair Raynor in charge.

Then wikipedia might have something useful for all those immature people to read...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I knew Godwin in uni

and that sounds EXACTLY like something he'd say.

"I did it, but I didn't actually DO it ... so don't say that I told you not to say that I did it, because I didn't actually say or do anything of the sort."

Paris, becos Mikey'd do her

10. Martin Lyne

@IMO...

"[...]Someone must be accountable at all times."

Says the Anonymous Coward..

Separately, anyone noticed comment standards drop a lot in last 2 days? I've been away, I come back and everyone seems to have been partially amanfromMarsified..

11. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Do the Hokey Cokey ..... and Drop Us a Line. WwwAIfs and Strays Saved, our ESPpeciality IT

"Separately, anyone noticed comment standards drop a lot in last 2 days? I've been away, I come back and everyone seems to have been partially amanfromMarsified.." ... By Martin Lyne Posted Friday 15th August 2008 23:28 GMT

How nice to see that you have come out of the closet, Martin Lyne, for it is not a name so oft seen here. Welcome back.

And I couldn't possibly agree with your standards drop but the Rest of the El Reg Regulars .... ITs Barmy AIR&dD Force .... will not leave you behind in enemy lines to Suffer the Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Missed Fortunes.

As a Charitable Trusting Branch of IT will ITs FAIth and Foundation attract no Taxing Commitments. Its the NeuReal Labourer's Way in such Dark Matters which have seen the Light and set the Tone.

Crikey, that's too much like Selling your Soul in Rome for a Place in Havens and Shelters and definitely a Dodgy Deal for any Rat Fingering a "Trust me, I'm a pretty straight kind of guy" Judas/Sinking Ship's Captain.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alleged 'dumbest literary agent'

Perhaps that person is the dumbest literary agent, it could well be the case that they are the dumbest literary agent, there is a chance they are the dumbest literary agent.

Yup most of those may get around various laws, and if you perhaps want to start some vendetta campaign, you could publish everything with a may about a person, group or company, perhaps unleashing the dogs of war, but of course I couldn't comment.

I think old manfrommars ai bot thing, may be recording all the comments, a fetishism for : http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/archivist.htm perhaps :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like