back to article Crashing PC sales don't stop HP Inc releasing two new ones

HP Inc has announced two new PC desktops: the miniscule and modular Elite Slice, as well as the new Toblerone of IT, Pavilion Wave, as a domestic entertainment machine. Elite Slice is HP’s smallest desktop. A 6.5" square, it stands only 1.38 inches tall, at least before you add the stackable modules, and is cooled by a 360- …

1. djstardust

As long as

They come with Windows 10 I won't be buying them.

Take note HP & Microsoft.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: As long as

They come with Windows 10 I won't be buying them.

while test -z "" ; do echo "THUMBS UP!" ; done

I can't thumb this one up ENOUGH. I wholeheartedly, 110%, agree with you!

HP should ship them with 'linux flavor of your choice' as an option, with a discount even, and watch sales SKYROCKET!

1. djstardust

Not Linux for god sake.

I meant Windows 7 or maybe 8.1

1. ChrisBedford

I meant Windows 7 or maybe 8.1

7 goes out of support in less than 4 years

8 has that horrible "charms" bar that pops up every time you get near the right-hand side, and other inexplicable popups when you are scrolling around

10 with Classicshell FTW. Huge improvement on 8/8.1, I don't know what your objection is (apart from the still-kludgey mishmash of Control Panel / PC Settings screens, but 8 has that too. Worse.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where "SKYROCKET" = "Rise by at least 30"

3. Captain DaFt

Just ship'em with no OS, or FreeDos if they insist on something, and let me install WIN7, Linux, BSD, Basic OS, Haiku, whatever the hell I feel like.

Just sell me damn computer, I'll supply my own headaches, thank you very much!

1. Captain Scarlet

Yeah not particularly much choice for machines without an OS, although many makers now assemble Intel Nucs they still feel like they come with old bottom end parts that are sold at a massive premium.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The natural result of a front-loading economy.

Crashing PC sales won't stop PC makers from selling ridiculous hardware. In fact, the hardware gets proportionally more ridiculous as the sales tumble, because for the last few years their profits have soared proportionally with their marketing and advertising budgets, irrespective of the quality of the hardware. We've reinforced bad habits through buying their crap, and by now they've fired most of their engineers and R&D, which leads them to filling the gaps with gimmicks.

Stop buying new devices every year if you want the madness to stop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The natural result of a front-loading economy.

What's ridiculous about this? Not everyone wants an ordinary oversized beige or black rectangular box sitting under their desk. Are you suggesting that more choice is a bad thing, and that if the PC market was still doing well we would be happy that we have almost no choice in form factor unless we build it ourselves or buy a Mac?

3. ChubbyBehemoth

Just add some flowers..

I guess they finally gave thought to what to do with the thing after it breaks down. Pity the max specs don't go that far past my now 6 year old workstation apart from the CPU. Would be nice if they added a monitor that follows the same design with a curve in it. Something that might fit on top of the cookie jar or stand alone. Add a nice warped keyboard to it and then it would become a whole new experience. Something that might fit the design bureau and replace those squarish Mac at last.

Alas,.. it comes with another X. And not the one I'd like.

4. gv

Proprietary connectors?

"... attached via a proprietary connector based on USB 3.1"

It would have been better if they just used the standard and released the drivers as open source with support for Linux as well as Windows.

5. inmypjs Silver badge

Looks like some junk...

Apple would come up with, but, with no fan boy customer base to buy it.

6. ksb1972

Home Entertainment?

How can it possibly fit that bill with Windows 10?

Not unless HP have come up with a Windows Media Centre replacement and forgot to tell anyone

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Home Entertainment?

Maybe it comes with a pre-install of Kodi?

7. 0laf

Elite Slice

Thought that Elite Slice looked very neat, then read £500.

Fk off £500!?! Are you mental?

8. Purple-Stater

Strange Concept of Marketing

"Crashing PC sales don't stop HP Inc releasing two new ones"

Outside of strong competition, one would think that decreasing sales would be the biggest reason to change models.

9. redneck

support

Given the name, Elite Slice, this is probably a business class system.

I have an EliteDesk 705 G1 desktop mini that developed a power issue. I expected to exchange twenty emails with HP, chat with someone in Hinglish, and then have to swap hardware myself. Imagine my surprise when I was contacted by HP and a repair tech was scheduled to come out to my house to fix my system.

I've never considered warranty when purchasing a desktop system, but I was glad to have it. As a result, I've been recommending Elite class systems to others.

Since my lowly G1 has a PCIe x4 m.2 drive slot, I'd guess that the Elite Slice does as well. This new system could be a speedy little thing.

It is great to see HP moving more into the very small form factor market. I'll probably be taking a closer look at this device, or its successor, in a few years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like