back to article Life imitates satire: Facebook touts zlib killer just like Silicon Valley's Pied Piper

Facebook engineers today emitted a bunch of open-source compression and database tools during its @Scale conference. This software is used actively at hyper-scale within the sprawling social network. The California giant wants to share some of its source code with the world and hopefully get some useful patches in return. Here …

1. Justin Pasher

Apples and oranges

It's a little unfair to compare a multi-core capable zstd to single-core zlib. Try comparing it to something like pigz and then see how much improvement there is. It looks like the compression ratio is pretty negligible, which the compression/decompression speed is a big difference (but that's where multi-core capabilities would be expected to shine).

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

zstandard sounds like two ideas in one package, where one of the ideas (a branchless and multi-core implementation of deflate) would have been useful but has been hijacked by a non-standard algorithm.

3. UKHobo

sounds like it's time for Facebook to..

PIVOT!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No one is going to use this

Giving up your right to sue Facebook over a patent basically means if you use this software you'll have to immediately stop if Facebook infringes on one of your patents. So heavy use of this in a way that made it difficult to stop using it would basically give Facebook free reign to infringe on any of your patents!

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: No one is going to use this

Not quite. You can always remove the software, and then sue their ass off. Or sue their ass off, and risk being sued for copyright infringement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't think they can sue you for copyright infringement. The copyright licence makes no mention of patents. There is a separate grant of patent rights that terminates if you sue Facebook. The PATENTS file was added yesterday. The version of zstd in Debian doesn't have it.

However, I am not a lawyer and have not been particularly diligent in checking those facts. Follow the links and check for yourself if it's important to you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would not be so sure.

All recent licenses have a mutual assured destruction patent clause. Even the IPR in Internet standards usually comes with one. The actual wording differs, but is usually lifted out of GPL3 or Apache. I always found that rather hilarious - when it suits Cisco it offers its IPR in what is literally a cut-n-paste GPL3 while at the same time having a "you touch GPL3 without VP permission, we fire you" clause in their contracts.

So having these clauses has neither prevented people using software, nor prevented people suing each other.

5. gnasher729 Silver badge

Seems you can countersue

I read the license grant that you linked to, and while you lose the license if you sue Facebook for patent infringement, it looks to me as if they explicitely say that if Facebook sues you first, and you sue back for patent infringement unrelated to this code, then the license stays untouched.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seems you can countersue

I read it as saying that if you sue Facebook for ANY patent (not just ones related to zstd) that you lose the license. So who is going to risk embedding this technology in their products, which would mean losing the ability to sue Facebook for infringing on one of your patents if you aren't able to recall/update your products to remove zstd?

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Seems you can countersue

These days, a whole load of "professional" programmers will just cut-and-paste from Stackexchange, so if this takes off then it gives Facebook and easy way out (or an easy way to delay a case until it becomes too expensive for the other side to continue) of any patent troubles.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

Yes but what's the Weissman score?

We need a comparison between the two.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a state-of-the-art probability compressor"

Douglas Adams would have been proud.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

I thought Douglas Adams would probably be happier with a probability expander, or maybe an infinite probability expander!!

1. David 132 Silver badge

"Infinite compression - we simply declare it Somebody Else's Problem"

8. Paul Shirley

FSE already under patent attack

Hold off on the compression until the patent situation is resolved, a bunch of (bogus) patents related to FSE are already causing trouble...

9. Belperite

Very good

When do they include features for inserting sponsored posts and adverts in files compressed using it?

10. Joe Gurman

But is it middle out?

And can Dinesh find a girl who will hat with him over it?

1. Valerion

Re: But is it middle out?

And will it handle 3D Video?

11. Benchops

What they really need, is a box

12. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Why we have Zip

The Zip compression format exists because the owner of the previous ARC format wouldn't share it. So someone made a better format instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_(file_format)#History

And a similar story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

The lesson from history is to say No Thank You to Facebook, even if this time it's their tool that is better. The conditions are still troublesome.

Exception if you're a programmer who is getting into bed with Facebook anyway, such as inventing the new Farmville or something. Maybe involving imaginary friends unless Facebook points out that that's what they do already.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like