back to article Super Cali goes ballistic, IT school is hopeless: Tech boot camp ITT frozen by edu officials

For-profit college chain ITT Technical Institute is facing further sanctions as the US government and the state of California have ordered the school to stop accepting new students. Citing ongoing financial problems with the school, the US Department of Education (DOE) has barred the school from taking any new students who …

1. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required

I love the reg

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: The title is no longer required

Not sure if this was the first such example of a spoof on Supercalifragilistic....etc. but on 8th February 2000, Inverness Caledonian Thistle (then a second tier club) beat Celtic in Glasgow in the Scottish Cup. Next day, The Scottish Sun splashed the following headline: SUPER CALEY GO BALLISTIC CELTIC ARE ATROCIOUS.

1. Chris Parsons

And, much as I love the Reg, after 16 years, it has become a wee bit stale.

2. J. R. Hartley

Yes the Celtic one was the first one I ever heard. But the way El Reg still manages to conjure them up every so often fills me with glee.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is bigger than ITT.

ITT's violations are egregious, but don't let that fool you into thinking that you'd be better off with government-run institutions. The root cause of all of this is lack of public funding for education, which causes students and colleges alike to seek out the benevolence of the billionaire class to be able to fund their education.

This is why we have to start closing tax loopholes and throwing bankers in jail.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: This is bigger than ITT.

You do know it's done on purpose?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

um, f'in' really?

I graduated from ITT in 2004 and it was the best decision I ever made. I'm still paying for the student loans but my income increased 300% within 3 years of graduation. This story makes me very sad, as I thought they did a top notch job (mind you, I went there as a 32 yo adult, not a PFY). It was expensive, but all college is expensive nowadays (my original college tuition was only 750$ / semester back in 90).

I'm surprised they are in such dire straights. They have been around here for a very long time.

BTW, I graduated in 2004 and I'm currently the IT Director at my organization... so joke all you want, but I was a lowly postal employee before ITT.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: um, f'in' really?

Like all the for-profit schools in the U.S. they eventually abused the student loan system while cutting corners on services.

They are not the only ones the feds have been smacking upside the head.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

"dire straights"

I see the courses didn't include basic English...

1. BebopWeBop
        Trollface

Nash, dire straights are what children (self included once) ran into while trying to navigate Scalextrix tracks rebuilt after careless disassembly....

4. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    FAIL

Yeah, my income increased 300% after graduating as well. At university my income was £1950. One year after university my income was £6000. Well, duh!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going the way of chimney sweeps

With or without the dodgy accents.

6. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Coat

Dum...

... deedledeedle dum deedle die?

Sorry, sorry...

7. mbstone

Super Cali goes ballistic, IT school is hopeless

They promised they would educate but all their lies were bogus

You took out all those student loans and now you're poor and homeless

Super Cali went ballistic, IT school is hopeless

8. Androgynous Cow Herd

Competition

I don't think the state is questioning the quality of the education, just that the financial picture is not rosy due to abuse of the student loan system. The has lots of their own schools slurping from that same trough, but unlike a trade school, to get a degree from a state college also requires a lot of general education for its own sake and to provide gainful employment for tenured liberal arts professors.

So the student gets to pay for stuff that they have no interest in learning, and may not ever use again. Such as the Classical music appreciation class needed to obtain a humanities credit in one very specific case

The student loan system on the whole is the modern version of indentured servitude. A graduate emerges from college saddled with an enormous debt that cannot be wiped out via bankruptcy, no matter if value was received for the debt or no. Even worse off are those that chose to pursue liberal arts rather than STEM.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Competition

I graduated multiple decades ago from a smallish (10,000 undergrads) religious-run university in north-western Indiana. (yes, that one.) We were required to take six credits (two three-credit classes, or one three-credit class and three one-credit classes; I took the easy way out and did two three-credit classes) of philosophy and another six credits of theology to graduate, plus assorted 'humanities' classes, even if we were engineering (I was EE, as that was the department which ran computer studies at the time) or science majors. I left the phil and theo classes until my final year and slept through most of them, managing to get a B+ in one, an A- in another, and As in the other two. One of the 'humanities' electives I took, also in my last year, was 'American Military History', which I took for fun. I have yet to even buy the books for it, got an A. My roomie off-campus that year was Navy RTOC. He had to take it. Got a C. He was not an engineering or science student, having figured a way to take the absolute minimum science courses that the Navy would pay for, and thought that it was hard, and said so, right until I showed him my electromagnetic field theory text. Poynting vectors shut him up. They have that effect on Arts & Parties majors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like