back to article VirusTotal invites Apple fans to play in updated Mac malware sandpit

Google's VirusTotal will begin executing Mac apps to test for malicious activity following an uptick in reports of malware targeting Apple's desktop operating system. The virus scanner is popular with black hats, white hats and everyday users and tries to determine if antivirus mechanisms will flag malware. The service's …

1. ratfox
    Coat

But if we fight viruses…

Won't we breed new strains of more resistant viruses?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

google Infosec unit?

Now what vested interest is pulling their strings then?

Who would benefit by spreading this stuff?

Be honest now...

Paris becase even she knows a non story from a good'un.

1. websey

Re: google Infosec unit?

I'm sorry how is this a non story ?

The fact I use the virus total api to scan all attachments that come through,and now I know I can do the same with Mac based file types is a bonus as we run a mixed shop.

Maybe you are one of these people who are still spreading the fud that macs don't get malware etc.

Go back under your rock

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple fud

Don't apple also claim iOS is more secure than Android, despite CVS being more than double so far this year (iOS 250+, android 97). The number of severe ones is also higher and the fix time much longer die to needing to be serviced by full OS updates ( Google are doing much patching via play store, openssl for example).

http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/google-play-services-delivers-security.html

What do you mean, the internet told you something else??

1. ZSn

Re: Apple fud

However, in practice they are still more secure because most android installations are left stranded by their manufacturer - including the older nexus lines. Apple do at least keep most older iOS up to date.

1. deconstructionist

LoL Yeah so they can brick the device and force you to buy the latest model by using all your free space and hogging resources so it runs john candy on crouches...thanks alot

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

despite CVS being more than double so far this year

Oh yawn, do we really have to go through all of that again? I stopped looking at stats only - that only tells half the story and they can be rigged (as MS recently demonstrated). What matters to me is:

- how does the manufacturer make their money? Hardware? OK. OS? OK. My data? Not OK.

- how easy is it for me to get a virus on a non-rooted, bog standard device?

- what do I have to do to prevent any other attack vectors? (drive by infections etc)

- what other controls does the platform have to protect my privacy?

- above all, just how much effort do I have to put in to keep it that way?

Massive caveat here: my decisions are predicated by what I do and how I know *I* use a device. That is in general quite an important remark: what is safe for me may be a risk to others, and what others get up to may not happen in my case. For instance, I rarely surf the Net on my phone (at best I look up something) because I have a tablet and a laptop for that.

After all that, I end up with a preference that is motivated and no amount of "my OS is better than yours" (sponsored or not) will make a difference because I know *exactly* why I made that choice, and I have years of experience in mining the truth out of vendor and vendor-sponsored statements and group-think inspired nonsense.

If I'm asked to recommend a device to OTHERS, the above still applies after I worked out what *they* do with a device and what their total electronic footprint is on the Net. That will again result in a motived choice or set of options and associated risks. It's not black and white, so spare me the single argument BS.

M'kay?

3. Rafael 1
      Devil

Re: What do you mean, the internet told you something else??

Good thing we're learning the truth from an anonymous commentard :-)

You could be extra convincing if used "sheeple" and "fanbois" in your post.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good thing we're learning the truth from an anonymous commentard :-)

That's because I prefer to use a decent line or argumentation. I don't need a name for that.

You should try it, using good, logical arguments instead of group think statements and ad hominem. You may even learn some analytical skills, may come in handy when you eventually grow up.

1. ZSn

I'm not sure stating that someone should stop using ad hominem arguments and then stating that they should grow up will convince anyone.

Personally I've never used an anonymous coward posting (apart from once by accident), the reason is in the 'anonymous coward' header. Also, perhaps, I have nothing noteworthy to say!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Personally I've never used an anonymous coward posting (apart from once by accident), the reason is in the 'anonymous coward' header. Also, perhaps, I have nothing noteworthy to say!

There are plenty who have nothing noteworthy to say who feel compelled to comment regardless, so you're one up there :).

Let me offer a different reason for anon posting: some of us are quite happy to share what we know, but a name may draw in all sorts of other issues that we don't want to deal with. I personally don't really care about handles, I care about the content of what is being written.

Anon is also quite fun because it annoys some people. My malicious streak very much enjoys that :)

2. Roo
          Windows

"You should try it, using good, logical arguments instead of group think statements and ad hominem. You may even learn some analytical skills, may come in handy when you eventually grow up."

Oh the bitter irony… I humbly submit that you should try your own medicine first. :)

4. Steve K
    Angel

Run everything in a sandbox!

So if you can run everything in a sandbox then your exposure to malware is reduced.....

I will not charge the world for my brilliant solution

5. Craig (well, I was until The Reg changed it to Craig 16)

Mac security

I do my banking and any other secure transactions in specially locked down VMs on my Mac. It does nothing else. I have one for my banking, another for the more trusted retailers and a final one for anytime I have to go near something new. My banking VM does nothing, and is allowed nowhere on the internet, bar updates to virus checker, OS and the bank itself. No links between VMs and OS and about as bolted down as I can get. Still, not 100% foolproof but as close as I can get without wearing a tin-foil hat.

Just because I've no proof that my base Mac OS has been hacked or compromised does not mean that it hasn't.

6. EJ

At least the clean up is simple

I've been helping a friend get some malware/adware off her Mac. The one positive I can add here is that clean up has been pretty easy compared to the Windows side of things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: At least the clean up is simple

The one positive I can add here is that clean up has been pretty easy compared to the Windows side of things.

You want to be careful with those sort of statements, you may upset the Microsoft fan club :). It is, however, the reason I mainly run OSX (and Linux), it just saves time. I personally have never believed a platform to offer absolute security - Linux too has some things you need to be careful with - but there is a significant difference between platforms in how much time and effort you have to spend to keep them reasonably clean, and how you recover from malware making it through regardless.

Out of interest, what malware did she have on her machine, and any idea how it got there?

1. William Old
        Linux

Re: At least the clean up is simple

Out of interest, what malware did she have on her machine, and any idea how it got there?

And, in the case of claimed "viruses" for OSX, what was the self-replication mechanism, the sole unique attribute of a virus, as opposed to any other sort of malware?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mac OS X VDI from Google is next...

Well it seems that Google is able to run virtual windows to scan those EXE's in a sandbox so this means they can also do this for Apple applications. Maybe google is close to running our crappy old legacy software in the goggle cloud as well.

So this means in the future no need for MS Windows OS or client access licenses. We are close to a change in how we use computers and applications. LOL I am sure Microsoft will fight this tooth and nail.

8. Gis Bun

The days of OS X [and even Linux] being secured is now long gone....

The only secure OS now is DOS - nothing made for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like