back to article Tech fails miserably in Forbes' most innovative companies

The tech industry feeds off its reputation for being innovative but, according to Forbes at least, it may not be warranted. In a new list of the "World's Most Innovative Companies," the business magazine has ranked the top 100 companies. Aside from Tesla, which could arguably be listed as a tech company and took the coveted …

1. Jonathan 27

Dinosaur

Who cares what the editors of Forbes think? The only way Forbes would be relevant is if you hopped in a time machine back to 1985.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dinosaur

"The difference between them is the bonus given by equity investors on the educated hunch that the company will continue to come up with profitable new growth"

In other words: this is a list of the 100 companies most over-valued by the market. So how come Apple didn't make it?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dinosaur

Not really a dinosaur - think of the Forbes List as sponsored content; they're just doing what everybody else does, so quite current really.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Silly-con Valley

It isn't called Silly-con Valley for nothing. About the only innovative things I've seen come from there in the last 10 years is the unrivaled ability to fuck shit up and over-complicate just for the sake of vendor lock in. Sure, it's "disruptive" but not in the good way.

They've drank their own kool-aide and inbred at the same time.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Silly-con Valley

Unfortunately vendor lock in occurs because the typical moron who reads Forbes only plays buzzword bingo with technology. They have no grasp that open standards and formats make everyone's life easier because the threat of leaving a vendor has some real teeth.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

I agree yank lurker.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I once heard Silicon valley described as "a human centipede of marketeers"

3. a_yank_lurker

Chipotle?

Chipotle is only innovated in their hip way of giving customers food poisoning. Currently most well known innovation is in technology and pharmaceuticals.

I am actually surprised Forbes did not include Theranos; another infamous innovator. And nominate Elizabeth Holmes as the top CEO.

1. GrapeBunch

Re: Chipotle?

"It also includes plenty of companies that have notably done poorly in the past year, a good example being fast-food company Chipotle."

Of course they're doing badly, they don't even know how to spell their own food, which is chilpotle. Dios mio.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chipotle?

> I am actually surprised Forbes did not include Theranos

Whose anus?

4. James O'Shea

Forbes, eh?

The last time I went near their site they complained about my adblocker. In fact, they were very aggressive about showing their dislike for my adblocker. Haven't been back since. Really don't care about anything that they might have to say.

5. israel_hands

"What is the value of the list? Who knows?"

The Shadow knows.

I don't see tech companies as being very innovative, they just use computers which are hardly new. Certainly the likes of Uber aren't fucking innovative. Taxi companies have existed for years. As has screwing over workers. And customers. And not paying tax.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "What is the value of the list? Who knows?"

Oi!

Screwing over workers, customers, and dodging taxes are not only innovative, they're patentable business models in the USA.

2. Mark 85

The value of the "list" isn't for the likes of us or even the users of tech. It's for investors, stock-analysts, and those who only look at the bottom line and the size of their bonus. It's willy-waving for the wealthy at best.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err.. not quite. Taxis co.s or regulated city monopolies have been screwing over their customers for years so at least on that front uber is innovative.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Seriously?

Under Armour is #6, Monster Beverage is #7, but ARM Holdings is #12?

Amazon.com - a glorified Walmart - is #11, also ahead of ARM Holdings?

What did Salesforce.com - #2 - innovate?

Chipotle Mexican Grill - #39 - is now an innovator. They sell burritos and guacamole, and occasionally E. Coli. Maybe that's where the innovation is.

Luxottica Group - #78 - is a monopoly on over-priced designer eyewear and lenses. Very innovative, apparently.

Randomly throwing darts at a board with company names would have given better results.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously?

Amazon is also AWS, not only the store. Facebook too is more innovative when it tries to design new ways to move and store your data to be analyzed and resold, not for its web frontend and silly features.

Pharma is innovative? I didn't see many true innovations lately, especially since most of them usually come fro more fundamental researches which are not usually carried over in their labs because the ROI is unknown.

But Forbes is a financial company, it looks at money, not ideas and quality.

2. a_yank_lurker

Re: Seriously?

Forbes is making a common mistake. Innovation is about using a new way to attack existing problems to create a new solution. Amazon, for example, is a giant, worldwide retailer. Bezos' genius was to take a couple of ideas floating around at the time and combine them. The ideas were to use the Internet to allow customers to shop and to use the backend of a catalog shopping firm. In some respects, Amazon has always been a giant catalog shopping firm with the shopping done online.

Also many technologies considered innovative are actually rather old. Digital photography is much older than most realize by about 20 years and was invented by Kodak. It was popularized later when enough people had computers that digital image manipulation and sharing became reasonable.

7. Captain DaFt

Of course these are the kind of companies that a person who takes Forbes seriously would select as "innovative".

To them, "innovative" means, "I can profit from investing in it!"

1. Adam 1

So why is Amazon on the list? Have they ever made a profit?

1. Darryl

"Innovative" to a Forbes reader means "Innovative at new ways to increase profit."

That's why pharmaceutical companies make the list, with things like the $700 EpiPen

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"So why is Amazon on the list? Have they ever made a profit?"

That's the "innovation premium" that investors are prepared to pay. Presumably the rise in share price has compensated for the near zero dividends.

Or not.

IIRC if you want dividends you need to go with Yahoo. :(

Like Facebook having a P/E in centuries.

8. Stretch

How do you even know what's on the list?

Forbes doesn't have a website. If you go there it whines about adblocking and shows nothing. So they don't have a website, they don't actually exist, there is no list.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy answer..

What is the value of the list? Who knows? Forbes business development manager, that's who.

I reckon it's their ad manager - after all, that seems to be the only thing keeping Forbes alive. Which makes the comment a bit "pot vs kettle", or do I really have to mention DevOps? :)

10. Dan 55 Silver badge

Forbes might be right

After all, Silly Valley companies have been slurping data and launching sharing economy start-ups whose primary aim is accelerating the race to the bottom for years now. Where's the innovation lately?

Discuss.

11. Tim Worstal

Obviously I'm a little biased

What with given the past here and the present at Forbes. However:

"Forbes also only included companies that had more than seven years' worth of public financial data and a market value of over $10bn – thereby removing 99 per cent of the companies that do the bulk of the innovation in the world."

That last isn't really quite right. In economic terms we try to make a distinction between invention and innovation. The first is the creation of some new thing. The second is the general improvement of some thing through multiple iterations.

Small companies are generally more inventive than large. And large generally more innovative than small.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obviously I'm a little biased

Are there sizeable non-public companies this methodology is overlooking?

One example pops to mind - Samsung (the conglomerate) - has been mentioned as a private thing, not a regular public company people can buy shares in.

12. L05ER
    Joke

Pharma

they are raising prices 5 fold and testing what happens when you dump bull shit into the market waters in defense of their actions. that's both financial and market innovation.

or robbery, depends on the size of your bank account.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

1. P. Lee

Re: What is "tech"?

Worse - tech success used to mean solving customer problems. Now it means restricting the use of powerful hardware and using your network-effect lock-in in combination with "support & maintenance."

IBM must be feeling so nostalgic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is "tech"?

> Genuine question.

It's short of "information technology" (IT), or if you're trying to sound really modern, "information and computing technology" (ICT).

This means: stuff involving computers crunching data (the precursor of information).

> the big car makers who are transitioning to hybrid drives

Hybrid drive is a terrible idea from a technological point of view and it was Japan's attempt at getting their cars into lower tax bands, which if anything is market, not technology, innovation.

> There is the suspicion

No disrespect, but you need to get an education.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kieren

Do you work remotely?

As far as I'm aware, these "lists" are penned with your colleagues over the coffee machine / water dispenser, or done by the horoscope guy (not sure if this is a step up or down).

The very few ones where the journo went to the trouble of coming up with an actual methodology, you will know because, understandably, they go to even more trouble to make it clear that they actually followed a methodology.

15. imanidiot Silver badge

Large companies don't innovate or invent

Large companies do not invent or innovate, they just buy smaller companies that do. This whole list is pure marketing bullshit and seems to be built on nothing tangible at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon