back to article Google 'Solitaire' ... Just do it

Google has announced that if you type “Solitaire” into its search engine or search app, you'll now have the chance to play an in-browser time-waster it's cooked up. Type “tic-tac-toe” and you'll have a chance to beat Google at its own game, and you can't say that too often! ®

1. getHandle

Warning!

DO NOT TYPE "GLOBAL THERMO-NUCLEAR WAR"!

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Warning!

If it asks for a password, try JOSHUA or JOSHUA5 (book and screenplay disagree. Either way, very fucking low entropy passwords in the circumstances. Not even J05HU4 - are we sure this guy was a leet developer back in the 80's?

1. RIBrsiq

>> are we sure this guy was a leet developer back in the 80's

It was a different time...

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> leet developer

He was some kind of prof

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I tried entering "Google", but alas, it didn't implode.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    2. Captain DaFt

Did you try "elgooG"?

1. Charles 9

No, but for a time when I had M.U.L.E. on my mind, I thought if someone would make an Android port called D.R.O.I.D. (Durable Rugged Omnipurpose Implement Device), using the signature Androids, set on Planet Elgoog.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not fair

The biggest time-waster was, is and shall remain minesweeper.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Not fair

Couldn't ever really get into that. For me it has to be solitaire / free cell. But word games could be the new one. Anyone have any tips? Needs to be be multiplayer and preferably multi-language.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Couldn't ever really get into that. For me it has to be solitaire / free cell. But word games could be the new one. Anyone have any tips? Needs to be be multiplayer and preferably multi-language.

Hangman?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Play Words with Friends - try inviting Steven Hawking....

Word...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

"Anyone have any tips? Needs to be be multiplayer and preferably multi-language."

el Reg forums.

2. choleric

To be fair, the biggest time waster is probably surfing the internet, and Google has had that down for a few years now. I bet they have data showing that including solitaire bloatware actually increases worker productivity.

In other news Google moves to Redmond and releases Search 95.

3. The Nazz

A close second would be Backgammon against "experts". If they don't win the opening roll with one of three or so favourable rolls they just quit. LOL.

And repeat.

4. Roger B

How about a nice game of chess?

5. Suricou Raven

TTT.

Tic-tac-toe is a solved game: It's easy to create a computer program that will win or draw, every time, no exceptions.

If you have any chance of beating the program, it's because the programmer lets you win.

1. Charles 9

Re: TTT.

I hear they solved Draughts some time back as well and, like TTT, found that perfect play can force a draw.

I liked that Google threw up a quick timer or currency exchange on request.

PS. If you REALLY want to have some fun, try Googling a Zerg Rush.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Thumb Up

try Googling a Zerg Rush.

Very cool! As long as Google keeps letting its developers piss around with this kind of thing, there's still hope for them!

1. Sgt_Oddball

"do a barrel roll" and "atari breakout" (into google image search) are other previous silliness.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Considering a computer can kick your arse at Go, TTT can be solved by a 10 year old.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Tic-tac-toe is a solved game

And your point is? Doesn't mean it can't be fun, or instructive if playing with those who haven't "solved" it yet.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's easy to create a computer program that will win or draw, every time, no exceptions.

You missed out the detail that the computer has to *start* the game. (Which is a rather large exception)

1. Charles 9

Nope, it can win or draw going second, too. There are only three basic opening moves available: corner, side, center. Optimal responses can be made for all three. For example, between corner and center, if your opponent starts with one, you take the other to start a pretty basic move set to assure a draw.

6. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Go

Mathematician John Conway discovered Surreal Numbers while investigating the game Go.

7. nil0

Not sure what to think about this

First thought was: cool, that's a nice bit of fun.

Second thoughts are a bit darker. If I were a website offering a solitaire game, I'd be pissed off. Google already has form in intercepting traffic before it gets to websites - quite often, you type a query and Google pops up a box ahead of the search results with the information you're after. Great for the user, but the user then doesn't visit the website.

Instead of directing traffic at relevant websites, Google is increasingly using information scraped from those websites to ensure the user doesn't go beyond Google; it's turning from being a positive source of traffic to a parasite using a website's own content to actually prevent traffic.

So Solitaire, fun, but slightly worrying...

1. Ashley_Pomeroy

Re: Not sure what to think about this

The flip side is that the Solitaire website's entire raison d'etre was probably Google ad revenues - from Google's point of view it has no obligation to provide anyone with traffic.

On the other hand imagine a future where you Google "DOSBox", and you get back a fully-functioning DOSBox in your browser, or MAME with perhaps a handful of public domain games; or an in-browser GIMP. That kind of thing would be handy for Google's Chromebooks but would be decidedly underhand.

8. a_a

Seems...

...fundamentally broken in that you can just double click any card and if there's a valid move it makes it for you.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Seems...

It's not the first solitaire game to do that. But it seems (at least on Windoze) to use the same lousy random number generator as always, with almost predictable card runs if you're an addict.

But yes, as others have said, it's clearly a gimmick to keep you in the Google cookie jar as long as possible.

1. Charles 9

Most Klondike and FreeCell games avoid using a strongly-random generator because both games have the chance of an unwinnable deal.

1. toughluck

I initially thought that Google purposefully chose to only deal unwinnable hands. My first two games were unwinnable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon