back to article French submarine builder DCNS springs leak: India investigates

India is investigating a security breach affecting its French-built Scorpene-class submarines after more than 22,000 pages covering its secret capabilities were leaked. First reported in The Australian, the documents offer details on the designs of the submarines, which were put together by French company DCNS. Based on the …

1. Colin 27
    Joke

Are all involved...

getting that sinking feeling?

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Are all involved...

Maybe just cold feet?

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

A big mistakes in this article...

DCNS beat out the Germans and the Japanese for the new Australian Submarine contract (although its a different class of submarine) not on the Indian contract.

But most importantly you some how missed out on making a headline along the lines of French Submarine Develops Leaks! For shame el Reg, for shame!!!

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: A big mistakes in this article...

Whoops. Both fixed.

1. Phil Endecott

Re: A big mistakes in this article...

No, not fixed; you start talking about "the australian contract`' in para 6, but don't say what it is until the penultimate paragraph.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"its existing fleet of 13 subs – only half of which are operational at any time"

So, I guess one of their subs has to take turns with itself being effectively half-operational?

<Coat Icon>

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Isin't it quite usual to have a third to half of a given fleet in for maintenance, upgrades, working up/training etc? A quick looks suggests that only six of the US Navy's 12 supercarriers are operational at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A quick looks suggests that only six of the US Navy's 12 supercarriers are operational at the moment.

Probably only because they've run out of wars to participate in.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
          Trollface

I'm sure they're working on that.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I'm sure they're working on that."

And if they can't find any wars they can always send gunboats to threaten Ireland about taxes and emails.

1. Dr Scrum Master

And if they can't find any wars they can always send gunboats to threaten Ireland about taxes and emails.

Bostonians wouldn't stand for that.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I imagine it isn't because they aren't capable of operation, but because they are being refitted with new technology like EMALS catapults.

2. Aodhhan

What is deployed operationally and what is available are two entirely different things.

A ship can be in port for crew rest and or training. Or to save money.

Why have half of your fleet out and about doing nothing if there isn't a mission for them to do? This would be a huge waste of money and resources.

You guys are smarter than this. Before engaging your mouth prematurely, stop and think for 5 minutes why something is the way it is... believe it or not, you're not the smartest person on the planet. Especially when it comes to naval deployments/operations.

4. disgruntled yank

Oh, dear

Will somebody end up in the dock?

5. lafnlab
    Black Helicopters

Something fishy

With all the different leaks of government/military secrets, I wonder if this is a new form of e-warfare. Not just stealing you enemy's secrets, but "leaking" them to cause confusion and disarray in the enemy's camp. The leaks cause citizens and journalists to ask questions that governments would rather not answer. So they spend time covering up, evading questions, sweeping things under rugs, and generally waiting for any publicity to blow over.

1. Cynic_999

Re: Something fishy

How could we be sure that the leak is from a genuine hack of real data rather than a deliberately leaked bogus document full of fictitious specifications? Of course, the enemy might know that the specifications are bogus. But then we may know that the enemy knows that they are bogus. Of course, the enemy might know that we know that they know ...

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Something fishy

This is not new. It is old as the world.

It is more effective today though as the Internet allows leaked material to be circulated for a considerable amount of time even in places where censorship is the order of the day.

6. Warm Braw

Well, at least we know...

... there has not been a proliferation of unclear weaponry.

7. Baldy50
  8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chicken little

Looking at the document it doesn't seem that bad - sure it's non-public information but for the most part nothing that you wouldn't have expected - no big surprises, so the new reports seem to be mostly hype.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

Famous understatements

Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar: “I understand there has been a case of hacking."

Emperor Hirohito, on seeing Hiroshima: "There seems to have been considerable damage here."

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Aus spokesman "S'trewth mate, this has slipped us a crippler and no mistake."

But good to know the nukes aren't the only game in town.

11. Captain DaFt

" DCNS outbid Germany’s ThyssenKrupp, as well as a Japanese government-supported bid by a Mitsubishi and Kawasaki joint venture, to win the Australian contract."

Hm, able to get the winning low bid by cutting certain corners, like IT security, perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Security

I used to work for a company with plenty of defense contracts, high tech components, etc.

The amount of targeted attacks and laptops cloned by authorities at borders should blush more than one government.

So the suspects here are the Germans and Japanese.

12. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Maybe the French need better encryption for their documents.

13. joed

not much lost but money

I can't see any strategic importance of this contract. That diesel/electric submarine was good against fishing boats (or maybe some cargo ships) and not adversary capable of/interested in hacking DCNS. It's odd that India even bothered, unless waste of money was the only purpose.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not much lost but money

"I can't see any strategic importance of this contract."

Then ask yourself why the US Navy is so scared of D/E submarines despite being, allegedly, the most technologically advanced navy in the world.

One reason is D/E subs are very quiet and hard to detect.

See http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/nov/13/20061113-121539-3317r/?page=all

14. DNTP

Sherlock Holmes your government needs you

The Bruce-Partington plans have been stolen!

15. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Leaks

never a good thing on a submarine.

16. Tubz Silver badge

Funny how India can spend billions on subs, yet cannot educate, feed or stop child sex crimes. Yes i know this happens all over the world, but India is probably the worst place and the power elite turn a blind eye !

1. Beau
      Meh

Funny how India can spend billions on subs

I agree entirely with the sentiment of you statement! But with one long border with Pakistan and another with China, parts of both are disputed from time to time, Well, I think sadly, military spending for them is probably quite important.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like