back to article Hacked hookup site Ashley Madison's security was laughable

Ruby Corp, the rebranded parent company of illicit-affair-arranging outfit Ashley Madison, has had to enter into court-enforceable orders with privacy authorities in Canada and Australia, following the findings of a joint investigation in the two countries. After the company was hacked by Impact Team, it was pretty clear that …

1. a_yank_lurker

Ouch

I hear several cash registers opening with some regulators asking for a donation/fine or else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ouch

Nah, with such an elevated standard of morals I suspect they'll simply let it go bust so fat chance that fine will ever be paid - I suspect they will have parked their income elsewhere anyway.

Besides, US agencies need blackmail material so I give that a few weeks before it's online again in just the same fashion.

2. Herby

Sounds like...

...ransomware to me. Get you suckered in, then ask for $$$ to "delete" your info. If you don't pay more, we will keep your naughty data and might tell others.

Not like crypto lock stuff, but ransomware none the less.

Fools, fools, fools!!

3. hardboiledphil

Is anyone doing this kind of analysis/report on Dido's farcical security? Good to hear some actual facts rather than CEO media facing spoutings

4. Mark 85

What is surprising is that the company is still rolling along. I guess users don't really care or maybe thinking with the wrong head.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Deceivers deceived by deceivers

You can't make this shit up!

6. Richie 1

How is the company still in existence?

After the whole business model was outed as a scam in a high-profile way, who in their right mind would sign up for an account with them? Or am I underestimating the number of suckers in the world?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

No, but you're probably underestimating the number of desperate wankers, though.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: How is the company still in existence?

There's no such thing as bad publicity - apparently their revenue/membership jumped after the site was hacked.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So after the review...

...you stood a better chance of not being caught by your wife (I think there were only 3 real woman on the site from previous articles) if you asked your wife to arrange a date for you because you were planning to have an affair starting the conversation with "this is serious, I want...."

Ok, maybe AM's site exposed you to slightly less chance of frying pan damage or a bobbiting. Slightly less....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bobbiting

Damn you, I've almost forgot about that!

Now I have to keep drinking to kill those particular brain cells...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: bobbiting

Damn, I'm so sorry to tell you, it's been recently proved drinking excessive amounts of alcohol doesnt kill brain cells...

Still, no harm in trying though eh!!

8. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Regadless of the morals of a site such as this, what's staggering is the number of users who used their work (as in military, government or whatever) email address and not a throw away free one specifically setup for this website.

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Security? We've heard of it.

I don't see how their security was any worse than a lot of sites out there - security these days is a state of mind, not a real physical thing. We like to believe that it has some sort of meaning but realistically almost every website is just one zero-day exploit away from full disclosure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like