back to article Honor 8: Huawei targets millennials with high-spec cheapie. 3 words – Food pic mode

Huawei might be the third biggest smartphone seller on the planet but it has very little traction outside Asia. The Chinese firm is hoping the Honor 8 will change that. The handset, which was launched in the US last week and will be formally launched in Europe at an event in Paris on Wednesday, is being aimed firmly at the …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

already 2 checks ahead of the competition ...

after a situation last year where despite having 12 phones which powered up, not one could be used because of network locks) I vowed to never have a network sold phone again.

Quite aside from the network locking is the SHITE they bundle with the phone you can't dump (I *still* don't want a Facebook app).

Hence I am happily rocking a Wileyfox Swift - brilliant device. Not locked. No shit.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: already 2 checks ahead of the competition ...

<an old fart writes>

What's network locking?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What's network locking?

The practise of locking down a phone so your money only goes to one company, and usually at a higher rate than when you would have the option to switch. Especially hated by people who travel because it's especially abroad you discover WHY they wanted you locked in (or you'll find out when you receive the bill on your return). The aim of this lock is to make you bleed for wanting to amortise your phone (or being not rich enough to need that instead of buying it outright).

The lock-in is usually accompanied by network crapware that is burned into the phone in a manner that makes removal almost as painful as having to suffer it. But: notice I said *almost*.

I agree with the OP: never again. I rather revive my Nokia 6310 (come to think of it, maybe I ought to buy a new battery for it while I still can :) ).

1. Benchops

*practice*

2. Down not across

after a situation last year where despite having 12 phones which powered up, not one could be used because of network locks) I vowed to never have a network sold phone again.

Whilst I agree to your points, the SIM lock can be removed. Some networks may charge for it, some may refuse to do it until contract period ends.

Others, like O2, are happy to remove SIM lock at any point for free (for normal post-pay contract at least).

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Flame

Re: Network SIM lock and EE/Orange

The crowning turd was trying to get a £5 Alcatel from "Orange" to work with an EE SIM. Even though they are the SAME NETWORK the twunts at EE wanted £35 to unlock the thing.

THAT is why it's never again for me. And if I ever have to recommend a corporate deal, EE are not getting a seat at the table. However, corporate deals are starting to look old hat as BYOD spreads. Over the past 3 years we have seen our corporate deal halve making it a vicious circle ... less usage means less attractive deal means less corporate deals.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Network SIM lock and EE/Orange

the twunts at EE wanted £35 to unlock the thing

Yeah, at some point circumstances beyond my control (aka a clueless investor) I was forced to use EE. It became soon evident to me that their bad reputation was deserved. Their approach to support was, er, "innovative", but not in a positive way. Never again.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whilst I agree to your points, the SIM lock can be removed. Some networks may charge for it, some may refuse to do it until contract period ends.

.. and in some countries the network is now by law required to remove it after one year, irrespective of amortisation status (so even if you have a 3 year contract). Note, however, that you have to ASK for for it, it's not automatic.

3. Spanky_McPherson

@JimmyPage...

Totally agree about the shiteware that comes preinstalled on many phones these days, but just buying unlocked phones doesn't guarantee lack of shiteware. For example, the Sony Z series are great - apart from the shitty Sony apps that can't be uninstalled.

It now looks like WileyFox are going down the shiteware route - I updated mine a couple of days ago and now it won't stop spamming me about bloody Skype every time I open the dialler.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

just buying unlocked phones doesn't guarantee lack of shiteware

That would be any Windows phone - the whole OS is crap. I've just had one in my hand which has the Edge browser and the question from the idiot relative who bought it without asking for advice first was how you could enter a URL in it - there is no sign of any input line anywhere.

To be honest, I couldn't find one either. I hope he returns it to the shop now and gets himself an Android phone. I mean, if you are having your privacy invaded, then let it at least be done by experts who leave you some functionality while they're doing it.. Or maybe a WileyFox one - I had a look and I rather like their ideas.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SD card

Or, I’m not going to short-change you on storage, then try and shove subscription "cloud storage" down your throat forever more.

3. GordonD

I hope they fix the spelling before they release it in the English speaking world :p

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know right. It should be Hodor 8.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Trollface

Spelling

They are spelling it correctly in the English-speaking world, just not in legacy English.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Spelling

Don't you mean that English forked but they didn't keep en-US up to date with bug fixes?

4. Youngdog

Wow

Screen and USB aside they are great specs. It's probably cutting corners like those though that's providing the margin. And that processor,in house, looks like a masterstroke.

1. Adam 1

Re: Wow

Looking at a Nexus 5 as I type this. 1080p isn't that terrible.

5. James 51

I am guessing that the battery is fixed which is a pity. I know the advantages but when my phone's battery started to fade I was able to get another no problem. My son dropped it and the battery can get a bit hot now so thinking about getting another replacement just in case (four year old phone struggling with demanding websites and apps is more probable cause).

1. Nolveys

My last phone was a katana. It had a very nice feature in that when dropped on the floor the back cover would pop off and the battery would fly out. It was a fast, easy and very satisfying way to deny incoming calls.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back to WileyFox

dual SIM, takes an SD card.

7. Pen-y-gors

Cheapie?

Not too sure I'd call $400 a cheapie, for a base model. I supposed compared to an iThingie it's small change, but my OnePlus One a couple of years ago was a bit over £200 for a pretty darn impressive spec.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: Cheapie?

Indeed once you change to pounds and add VAT your talking £366 or so. Which given prices like to end in 49 or 99 will make it £399 not what I would call a cheap phone high-spec or otherwise.

8. ecofeco Silver badge

I've said it before

It what world is $400 "cheap" for a phone? Seriously, WTF?

9. flearider
    Unhappy

pass on this ....

ok theres a few phones out there with the same sort of spec for £300 http://www.archos.com/gb/products/smartphones/diamond/archos_diamond2plus/index.html

is but one ..

Huawei have gone from the cheap but nice phone to the sammy wanna be or the

Huawe iphone and there sales have slumped because of it .. dropped by 30% at home ?

tells a story .. with a so so screen they could have put this out at £300 but they got greedy ..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seven feet onto carpet?

Is there ANY phone that couldn't survive that? If so, it should be named and shamed so no one ever buys it!

11. Shades

"it handled video with aplomb"

This always confuses me as a metric for how good a phone works. Unless I'm mistaken don't most (if not all) SoCs have dedicated video decoding (and encoding) hardware acceleration embedded within the chip these days? If video was purely software decoded on the main processor cores then "it handled video with aplomb" would make sense but when its decoded by a sliver of the silicon that is designed to do exactly that its hardly indicative of the phones performance in general.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "it handled video with aplomb"

Yeah, mentioning that in a review in 2016 is like saying "I was able to use it to successfully make a phone call, and could hear the party on the other end".

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Not Again!

1920 by 1080 resolution, with 423 pixels per inch,

And that PPI count is higher than the human eye can discern, making anything more than that a waste of time, effort and money. Crowing over the number of invisible pixels is straight out of the "this cam iz bestest 'cos its got more megapixels than that cam" school of review.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like