back to article Farewell Patch Tuesday fragmentation: from October, MS will roll just one monthly patch

As of October, users of Windows 7, Windows 8, and various server products can farewell a Patch Tuesday of downloading multiple files: Microsoft is implementing the monthly patch rollup it promised in May. At the same time, however, Redmond has decided to kill off individual security patches, something that might not please …

1. melts

reliability eh?

so does this mean they will be testing patches thoroughly so you don't end up with one of the many rolled up updates breaking something?

after having to manually installing updates after the PC has broken features/dependencies seemingly at random, the one package idea might be less work. On the flip side I am already imagining having to miss out on critical fixes as some not too critical update in the package is broke and affecting the overall result.

I won't even go into what happens when MS want to pull another KB2952644, I guess you get the shit with the updates this way don't you.

1. dan1980

Re: reliability eh?

Convenient?

Sure, when it works.

But that's not the point - Microsoft are again moving to restrict our control of our own systems.

1. Mikel

> our control of our own systems.

Whose systems? It seems you and they are not in agreement on that.

It's their OS. They can make it do what they want it to do. They always could.

1. Updraft102

If they could make Windows do what they wanted it to do, I'd be using Windows 10 now.

2. Ropewash

"It's their OS. They can make it do what they want it to do. They always could."

Very close to being true and I'm sure that's how they want things to be. I have a different usage model though. There's no network cable to my Win7 machine at the moment. Let's see them find a work-around for that one.

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II

I shudder to think how this will affect environments with WSUS for the purpose of limiting specific patches to specific machines. The assumption is that all patches are good (except for the recent ones which break Intel Bluetooth and opening certain types of web-exported files in Excel.)

Over-all, though, I agree that in small steps Microsoft is making it more difficult to manage and support our own machines. If we would all just give in to the cloud!!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But that's not the point - Microsoft are again moving to restrict our control of our own systems.

But from Microsoft's point of view that is the whole reason. After all, they want you to pay a small monthly charge for their SaaS offering so they have to be in charge.

The fact it could, and most probably will, break something does not deter them, you should only be using their approved and developed software.

All this is going to do is encourage more people to find alternatives and then move away from MS.

2. Updraft102

"I won't even go into what happens when MS want to pull another KB2952644, I guess you get the shit with the updates this way don't you."

At least for now they said the rollup is just for security updates for those of us not on 10 (though it should be noted that Windows 7, now in extended support, is only supposed to be getting security and bugfix updates now anyway, which are the kinds of updates we do want. We're not supposed to be getting new "features" like telemetry, adware, and such).

Win 10 does the "rollup" for everything, security and otherwise, and predicates future updates of all types on taking the previous installment. All or nothing.

The fact that you have to take the crap with the updates is one of the reasons so many of us rejected 10. The irony is that Microsoft's efforts to promote Windows 10, a product that offers no choice in updates, are the best demonstration I can imagine of why we need choice in updates.

Linux, as always, will be patched as soon as the updates become available; no waiting a month for MS to get around to providing a big monolithic update.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> so does this mean they will be testing patches thoroughly

Why start now? It's not exactly been a feature of theirs up to now..

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know they just want to roll telemetry and whatever else they want into my Win7/8 systems and I'm not going to tolerate it. Up until the step change with Windows 10 I used to be a big advocate for MS. I liked showing Mac guys my recording setup and how it blew theirs out of the water for about 60% of the price.

I loved Windows 8 when it came out, hell no - not the UI but the fact I got a legit upgrade to my old XP Pro system for £25 and I could make it run like a more efficient version of 7. I bought 3 more copies (including 1 full retail) for my new recording box which I did safe in the knowledge I could use this machine for everything and if there was an issue (had already been there with the file explorer issue on 8) I could solve it by hiding a problematic update. I avoided 10 like it was the bubonic plague with the forced updates policy being among the primary reasons.

They (MS) actually say on their website that they are doing this based on "feedback from users", I wonder who these users are and what their deal is? Me I am obviously some out of step control freak for wanting my box to a) work, b) not send my personal data to a company who (at the end of the day) only provide an OS for a computer which I have paid to licence.

They are out of control.

1. gcla72
        Linux

Come and have a look at my Ubuntu studio. 0% of what you paid. Although I make donations to the chaps at Ardour.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I looked into Ardour and it looks interesting but I'm loathe to leave my current setup and learn a new DAW. However this MS situation only leaves 2 options, offline my studio box permanently (the best PC I own) or go the Linux route. I didn't like UNITY on Ubuntu and I'm not Linux Savvy enough yet to replace the desktop although I did like Mint 17.3 and have it on an old system just for browsing and the like. I understand the appeal but it doesn't do everything I want.

From what I've read now (because of your post) I see I can get Focusrite Drivers for Linux but I get great latency for my setup (13ms overall) on Windows and it seems that (despite the existence of drivers) getting these interfaces working consistently on Linux isn't straightforward. i.e. Works with some DAW software and not others. I will switch out the drive on the studio box since I've got a spare SSD lying around and give this a go sometime though.

As for "0% of what you paid", I meant in terms of hardware but I take your point.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Does this mean Windows Update won't 'think about it' for 15 minutes?

Windows Update, click Check for updates, go eat supper.

What the hell is it doing? Calculating the next zillion digits of π ?

I have tree stumps in my yard that could code up a quicker algorithm.

Hopefully this new process will be faster.

1. John Miles

Re: Does this mean Windows Update won't 'think about it' for 15 minutes?

15 minutes - more like 8+ hours on one of my machines

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Does this mean Windows Update won't 'think about it' for 15 minutes?

You want to install both KB3138612 and KB3145739, and that should speed up Windows Update for you.

3. Jan Hargreaves

This seems like absolute madness. The number of times users of say antivirus software have had their machines rendered temporarily useless by an update - leaving other users to postpone the update is quite regular. Can't wait until I switch away from Windblows later this year.

1. BobChip
      Linux

Why wait?

Just curious to know why you are switching away from Win "later this year". Why not just do it now, and enjoy the peace and calm it brings.

Oh! Note the automatic assumption that you will be switching to Linux! You are, aren't you?

4. seven of five

[...]Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update,[...]

iow: the next GWX will get us all.

1. Mark 85

You beat me to it.. Are we just all getting paranoid or do we know they are out to get us? Luckily I've got a laptop around that gets minimal use so I'll be using it as the sacrificial lamb to see what hits.

1. Baldy50

The only problems I’ve had so far with W10, install or updates have been on laptops not PC's so you might get a problem on your lappy that you wouldn't necessarily get on your main machine.

W7 not much better on some fresh installs on laptops, hunting around for missing drivers.

1. Preston Munchensonton

The only problems I’ve had so far with W10, install or updates have been on laptops not PC's so you might get a problem on your lappy that you wouldn't necessarily get on your main machine.

That's funny. I'm not running W10 at all and I have loads more problems with it that you do, apparently.

#fuckmicrosoft

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Obviously

This will simplify moving to a paid subscription for updates to Windows 7 and 8.x

6. Wensleydale Cheese
    Unhappy

And the bandwidth for this?

A double whammy for those on restricted bandwidth

a) everyone gets the patches for other versions

b) last month's patches included

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: And the bandwidth for this?

Well, you could always switch off updates, a luxury not available to victims of Windows 10.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
        Happy

Re: And the bandwidth for this?

"Well, you could always switch off updates, a luxury not available to victims of Windows 10.

My solution, a few months ago :-

mv windows*.vmwarevm /Volumes/Retired-VMs

(it took a while)

7. Novex

Xbox...

...attitudes again, trying to work in the PC world.

It might be true with Xboxes that they can all get all updates all the time, but they are a closed system where they are all the 'same' and arguably need to have the updates in order for them all to play nice on the Live service.

PCs just aren't Xboxes. They are used in many different ways, and due to that the application of updates needs to be more finely controlled. That's especially true of business machines which need to be kept up and running reliably and only get updates when those updates are proven to be safe and not likely to take a needed computer out of service. And that applies to small and one-person businesses as well as bigger enterprise-sized conglomerates.

How does this affect WSUS by the way? Is that going to get individual update packages, or just a single file? If the latter I can see businesses simply not installing it in order to keep their machines available. How does that keep those PCs secure?

1. hplasm
      Meh

Re: Xbox...

"PCs just aren't Xboxes."

Yet.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Then when a fox borks something...

... now you have to remove multiple fixes instead of a single one?

The true issue is MS no longer publishes service packs, and the number of single fixes became too large. Maybe the MS cloud can't cope <G> any longer.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Then when a fox borks something...

You have to install hounds from the Appy Store!

1. FBee
        Joke

Re: Then when a fox borks something...

The YAPPY Store...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This will end in tears.

10. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Won't last long..

Either this won't affect WSUS, or it'll get shut down by corporate customers so fast it'll make Microsoft's head spin. They've already backed down on new processor support in 7/8.

11. Adam 1

It's lucky that Microsoft never release patches that you don't want installed I guess.

1. seven of five

Yeah, nice, little Operating system you have there. Would be a shame if anything happened to it...

1. collinsl Bronze badge

How many coders do you have there Satya? It would be a shame if they caught fire wouldn't it?

Well things burn Satya...

Tell you what, we can guarantee that not a single cloud gets done over for 10 bob a week.

12. Buzzword

Just call it a Service Pack

From now on Microsoft will release a new Service Pack each month. By the end of next year we'll have Windows 7 SP17. It's not elegant, but it's much clearer than KB6765431123134654741324.

13. Carl D

I'll just stick with the monthly Simplix update pack, thanks.

It's like having a Windows 7 SP2 every month minus the telemetry and W10 'nag' updates (while they were being pushed) which is handy if you're doing a clean install, otherwise each monthly 'pack' just installs the updates you need.

One doesn't have to deal with MS's Windows Update BS. They're still messing people with Windows 7 around every 'Patch Tuesday' by making them look at "Checking for updates..." for hours on end. And, each month there's supposed to be a 'magic fix' to solve that problem but next month the same problem is back again.

And, I know some people may be suspicious of the Russian origin of Simplix but the guy behind it has been doing it for a few years now and I'm not aware of anyone having any trouble with it. He even asks for (voluntary) donations.

1. Carl D

And... I'm still wondering if all this 'Patch Tuesday' business is just some massive con job to allow MS to keep control over peoples' computers. Almost like a conspiracy between MS and these so called 'security researchers' to keep the Windows patch cycle running forever. Most of these alleged security issues are never seen in the wild anyway.

I have a friend who is using Windows 7 SP1 online and it has had no updates whatsoever installed since SP1 and he has never had a problem with viruses, malware, ransomware, etc. despite the fact that he goes to some fairly dodgy websites (warez) from time to time.

If MS start playing around with W7 updates (well, more than they have already) from October and Simplix suddenly won't work anymore (I'm sure MS would love to sabotage it or shut it down) then I won't be installing any more updates and I'll take my chances. A good system image made weekly with something like Macrium Reflect is better protection anyway in my opinion.

14. Asok Asus

fuggedaboutit

I've had Windows Updates disabled entirely on all of my clients' PCs since GWX started showing up. A couple of times a year, I un-disable it and see what shows up and maybe allow a few to install. After October 2016, they'll all be permanently disabled .

Nothing actually really protects windows anyway other than requiring users to use limited user accounts and using software restriction policies to limit those users to executables that reside only in C:\Windows and the Program Files directories.

15. ParasiteParty

Here we come Linux...

Fight back people. Ditch their increasingly awful operating system and lack of customer focus and talk with your feet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like