back to article Nutanix scoops Cisco. Everyone's really happy ... but Cisco is strangely quiet about it

Nutanix has independently validated Cisco UCS C-Series servers to run its hyper-converged Enterprise Cloud Platform software. The hyper-converged product market leader says its software is now available on the platforms of three of the four leading x86 server vendors, meaning Dell and Lenovo, which we knew about in June. …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. The Count

No doubt Cisco will tell you that this voids all service, support, and warranty agreements. Good luck getting to do that and keep their job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why would that be the case?

How can you void a warranty if you are running a standard supported hypervisor + whatever VMs that run on it. That's just a silly comment. I reckon Cisco wouldn't do such a thing to their customers. What hypervisors are supported under the deal? And does Cisco have any restrictions in the EULA on this front?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why would that be the case?

Issue isn't voiding anything. Issue is not fixing driver/firmware issues or alerting you to them. VMware's VSAN has felt with a lot of hardware issues and has to work work vendor engineering to isolate/remediate them. Without any co-operation you could be stuck with an availability bug, and a vendor who has zero desire to fix it. You would have to be brace to adopt this...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Why would that be the case?

I don't get it. If I am current on my support for HW and am running a standard hypervisor, why does anyone care? If Nutanix is supporting me on issues on their SW side and VMware on theirs, I am happy. It's no different than what I do with preinstalled Cisco stuff except for the L1 cisco support engineer I have to deal with.

What would be kick ass is if the partner can deliver all three.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They could...

They could definitely TELL you that. They'd be violating several US laws if they actually tried to follow through, but they can absolutely blow a lot of steam off claiming it anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When a big corp is so quiet about something as brazen as this it can mean only one thing ...the lawyers are discussing how big the smackdown will be.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cisco quiet!

Well, that says to me they realized they've screwed up AGAIN with HyperFlex but are not going to admit it...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Without putting any effort in Cisco gets to see how this plays out. If it works, they sell (potentially a lot) more servers. If it doesn't, they get to say, we told you so.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

R.I.P.

HyperFlex. Their hearts were never in it anyway.

6. Fenton

Another support mess, will end up blaming each other

Sorry if I want to buy a (hyper)converged platform, I want one number to call and support/test the entire stack. If something goes wrong I want that vendor to triage between the different component companies.

Nutanix are going to end up with far too many options and supporting the systems will be a nightmare.

They are spreading themselves far to thin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another support mess, will end up blaming each other

Is that because you are lazy, from Cisco or another CI vendor, or just don't have a good reseller? A good partner can make all the different.

7. Vulture@C64

Supportability and low risk are the key factors of any virtualisation / cloud platform and without Cisco being 100% behind this, you have neither.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like