back to article Robo-buses join the traffic in Helsinki

Helsinki has taken a plunge, and let some (semi) autonomous buses out in traffic. The EasyMile EZ10 buses, made in France, still have a human driver on board to make sure nothing goes wrong; the buses had already been tested on pedestrian-only streets nearby. Local news outlet YLE says the current trial is taking place in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

10 km/hr

Hardly seems worth taking a bus when it isn't even twice as fast as walking, and even the most feeble person could beat it to the destination on a bicycle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 10 km/hr

Heck, a grandmother on rollerskates could humiliate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Heck, a grandmother on rollerskates could humiliate it"

yes .. but could you? on foot?

2. Fortycoats
      Go

Somehow that scene from Austin Powers with the Steamroller comes to mind.....

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Somehow that scene from Austin Powers with the Steamroller comes to mind.....

I was more thinking of the the Deadpool Zamboni scene :)

3. Mark 78

Are you suggesting that they should start by designing a vehicle which goes at 80 km/hr rather than start with one at 10 km/hr, get that fully proven, and then start increasing the speeds that they can do?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Are you suggesting that they should start by designing a vehicle which goes at 80 km/hr rather than start with one at 10 km/hr, get that fully proven, and then start increasing the speeds that they can do?"

according to Yes Prime Minister that's roughly how the Treasury sets tax rates?

Sir Humphrey: "Taxation isn't about what you need."

Jim Hacker: "Oh, what is it about?"

Sir Humphrey: "Prime Minister, the Treasury doesn't work out what they need to spend and then think how to raise the money."

Jim Hacker: "What does it do?"

Sir Humphrey: "They pitch for as much as they think they can get away with and then think what to spend it on."

Aim for the 80km/h, then figure out what you can actually do ....

4. FredBloggs61
      WTF?

Maybe it is quite slow. The British Heart Foundation say that s person with excellent fitness, should be doing 8kmh when doing a fast walking pace.

I reckon with my knee and back problems, I would struggle to hit 3kmh, so yes I think these could be very useful.

I hope it doesn't take as long for the progress, but cars had to have someone walking in front of them waving a red flag when they were first around.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

" cars had to have someone walking in front of them waving a red flag when they were first around "

Only in that lovely but somewhat odd island nation where they still insist on driving on the wrong side of the road.

BTW, from 1905 to 1906, Rolls-Royce offered the "Legalimit" model which was designed to be incapable to exceed the legal speed limit which was 20 mph at the time. This was achieved by a different gearbox, as the engine was a 8 cylinder 90 degree V configuration with 3,535 cc and a bore & stroke of 3 1/4" x 3 1/4". Apparently it was as silent as the electric town cars that were around at the time.

In total, Rolls-Royce made three of them.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

I'm guessing these need a crew of two plus a dog?

One driver to push the big red button in case of a (very slow) emergency; one dog to bite the driver if he tries to do anything else; and one man to feed the dog.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Here it comes again!

"...the buses had already been tested on pedestrian-only streets nearby."

What was the final score?

4. Tom 64
    Facepalm

"know when the connecting service is coming and it would get you there on time.”

Not if it's stuck in traffic, it wont. And it it stops often to pick up the elderly, whom I assume are its target market, since even the slowest walker can match its speed, it will be delayed even more while waiting for wheelchair folding etc.

5. knarf

Rise of the machines

It does worry me slightly that in the near future that their will be no human taxi drivers, I'll miss the complete right wing bull shite that is provided a free service.

1. Chris G

Re: Rise of the machines

Don't worry, there are lots of taxi drivers who are not really human even if some of them look quite normal.

2. MotionCompensation

Mobile prisons, designed to capture and detain 9 civilian rebels at a time, targeting those who refused to get one of those Ford autonomous cars. Soon, their plan will be complete and the Rise will start.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And I "might" miss the adrenaline rush when my human taxi driver who has been working all night falls asleep at the wheel on the M25 whilst doing 60mph

6. Hollerithevo

Couldn't they be lower?

I can see a very low-slung chassis on these where those with canes, crutches and wheelchairs could step on/roll onto the platform with minimal effort. Plus a few seats for the more nimble who don't mind going this slowly. As an addition to other public transport, these seem nice.

7. Ed 13
    Joke

Halting the tests over winter?

"The tests will be halted in winter, to resume in the spring of 2017."

Too cold for the batteries, or perhaps in case of the wrong type of snow?

1. Down not across

Re: Halting the tests over winter?

I did wonder. And if they're not suitable for winter climate then they're pretty useless somewhere like Finland.

I would've thought testing their cold weather capabilities would be rather important. Or isn't the software up to working out how to drive in slippery winter conditions?

8. fpx
    Thumb Up

Sign Me Up

I live 2+km from the next subway station. The bus runs at odd intervals and is usually empty except during rush hour. Service could be improved tremendously if a few of these gizmos would pick me up when I want to. Especially on the return trip, with a robo-bus or two waiting at the subway station.

Yes, 10km seems slow. My walking pace is easily above 6kph, and I could easily beat the bus running. But then I arrive all sweaty, and that only works without luggage. With the bike I'm even faster, but then I have to worry about my bike still being at the station when I return. And as said above, when these buses work fine at walking pace it will be easy to speed them up.

So, sign me up! (As long as they are included in a regular fare, unlike the shared-taxi-feeder-rides that they offer around here, which are an extra €3 per trip.)

9. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

But why...

...are these things always so fugley?

I know they are basically prototypes and saving every last gramme of mass is important, but it's been proven time and again by others that light and efficient doesn't have to be fugley!

10. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Should they think of implementing this here in South Africa, they better equip each bus with a Terminator as the taxi drivers will torch these buses...

11. Danny 2

Child's play

Why automate while child labour works?

11-year-old boy steals bus, passengers don’t notice

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just try walking 10 kph!

The buses will get faster. Will you keep complaining while you're riding?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like