back to article More gums than Jaws: Greenland super-sharks live past 400 years old

Researchers from the University of Copenhagen have overturned biological thinking with the discovery that the Greenland shark, an apex predator swimming in the Arctic Ocean, can grow to over 400 years old. The shark, which feeds on seals, fish, and whatever else it can get its saw-like jaws into, has an exceptionally slow …

1. Commswonk

Typical specimen is older than America

<pedant>

No it isn't. America has been there for millions of years. America even predates any form of human occupation by a very wide margin. OK; I might accept "Typical specimen is older than naming of America" but even that might be wrong.

</pedant>

1. Mephistro
      Happy

Re: Typical specimen is older than America

Totally agreed, but what Iain probably meant was "Typical specimen is older than the USA". That would fit with the sharks "average lifespan of 272 years".* :-)

In a more serious note, I don't think that calling USA's citizens "Americans " is correct or admissible, even if mostly everybody does it.

*: Which was probably the point of your comment. ;-)

1. Mikey

!In a more serious note, I don't think that calling USA's citizens "Americans " is correct or admissible, even if mostly everybody does it."

I thought the general usage these days was 'muricans? Or Yanks, that works too. Or, if they elect that orange potato-faced halfwit, 'Buffoons'...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or, if they elect that orange potato-faced halfwit, 'Buffoons'...

I think that condition was more than met when they elected one George W Bush. And re-elected him.

That said, on this side of the pond the same happened, the f*ckwit in question a certain Tony Blair. Also twice.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Vincent Ballard
            Coat

Actually Tony Blair was elected three times. 1997, 2001, and 2005.

3. FIA Silver badge

That said, on this side of the pond the same happened, the f*ckwit in question a certain Tony Blair. Also twice.

Nope. That would be 3 times. (To be fair, sometimes traumatic events do get repressed).

Or more pedanctically, Zero times, as we elect MPs (and by extension parties) not prime ministers. ;)

4. Youngone Silver badge

You people moaning about George W and Tony Blair make me laugh.

Come to New Zealand and have a look at the specimen we've elected three times!

He was a currency speculator.

1. DanceMan

As a Canadian I'd love to make some disparaging remarks about Bush Jr and Blair, but how would I explain 10 years of Harper? Only saving grace is that Chretien, before Harper, had enough sense to keep us out of Iraq.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
          Trollface

@Mikey

Yes! Revert to attacking appearances... Nicely done! I could care less if he's got a fucking potato head and crossed eyes if he can lead a country sensibly. But I guess the UK wouldn't know what it's like to have a leader lead sensibly for quite some time, regardless of appearance.

And for historical reference, the term Yanks is really referring to the Dutch immigrants to NY, which was called New Amsterdam, and the kids were all named Jan Cees or Yankees when you've had one too many Guinness.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> I could care less if he's got a fucking potato head ...

I invite you do do so. Care less that is.

The proper expression is "I couldn't care less..."

1. Captain DaFt

-The proper expression is "I couldn't care less..."-

Nope; "I could care less." is the proper term.

I always take it to mean, "I could care less, but it's not worth the effort."

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

No the correct term is "I couldn't care less". If you could care less then you care some what about it, so you do think and put energy in to something you don't actually care about.

"I always take it to mean, "I could care less, but it's not worth the effort.""

Doesn't make sense, as said before, if you could care less, you care about it, therefore put energy in to said caring. If you couldn't care less, you don't think at all about it therefore expend no energy on it.

Those 2 links are for people that don't actually understand what the words coming out of their mouths mean.

Different AC.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

@AC'(s) Don't know if there are many cowards out there...

Gee, glad the whole idea of making fun of someone's appearance missed the mark, and one apostrophe and one t created a shit storm, nicely done again. Way to derail the comment! Now get a life...

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Could care less" is logically incorrect but accepted in general speech in the US. Read literally it indicates that it is possible for you to care less about the topic which is probably not what you meant. There's a pretty fair summary at http://grammarist.com/usage/could-care-less/

1. Captain DaFt

If anyone had bothered to read the links, They'd have seen that "I could care less" is sarcasm.

Amazing, Reg readers unfamiliar with that concept. Wotta World!

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

North American refers to things from north of the Panamanian isthmus.

South American refers to things from south of the Panamanian isthmus.

American is a superset of both - referring to things from all "the Americas" and is also a colloquialism for "of USA."

Yank is a synonym of "jerk."

'nuff said?

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I Could Care less

This is in reply To Cap. Dafts comments about "I could care less" being the correct and valid phrase - they will be about 100 posts above this one due to a politics conversation and the Reg's rather limited threading system.....

no ! no! no!

Its just wrong , unless that second post is saying people are saying that "ironicly" ie because they know its wrong? which is the same as admitting its wrong.

Anyway - ill leave it to the king of logic and angry rants, David Mitchell, To explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

But I guess the UK wouldn't know what it's like to have a leader lead sensibly for quite some time, regardless of appearance.

.. quite interesting to hear from a nation who had to ditch the only person who actually managed to reduce your deficit by foisting a kid on him who didn't know how to clean a dress. I guess he wasn't wasting enough money on wars and the Stasi clones you have today who are quite happy to perpetuate the financial hole you have as they get served with tax money (as well as what you borrow per second) well before the population. Clever that, living so far above your standard that nobody no longer has a choice but to keep lending..

Also, as far as I know, the UK isn't capable of initiating a global financial crisis. It's quite able to help, granted (and the main actor in that here has dragged an enormous amount of loot out of that one himself, of course), but it still has too many people who can whistle back the government before it goes completely wrong.

That said, we're now well on track to lose a large part of those annoying shackles - to me, that appears the main reason to push for Brexit. Can't have them foreigners hold back the fleecing of the peasants like the US can.

On the plus side, as long as those peasants still believe all that nonsense about "democracy" and "freedom" there isn't really a reason to change, is there? The US problem is that the black ones have caught on. You can only kill so many of them without any noticeable consequences before the herd starts questioning your claims that you have a functional justice system - you might want to keep that in mind. *Proper* leadership would have dealt with that a long time ago..

1. JLV

From sharks to Stasi clones and dry cleaning protocols*...

Commentards never cease to amaze.

* Bill was barred from reelection by the 22nd amendment rather than by his aim.

3. Yesnomaybe

"I could care less if he's got a fucking potato head and crossed eyes if he can lead a country sensibly."

On balance, how likely do you think that is?

1. Anonymous Coward
              WTF?

Sorry, have I stumbled into the Daily Mail forum by mistake?

4. enormous c word

@chivo

"Nicely done! I could care less if he's got a fucking potato head and crossed eyes if he can lead a country sensibly"

What are you trying to say? That you actually care a lot? Or did you mean to say "I couldn't care less..." you need a negative in there or what you're trying to say makes no sense - unless you have no idea of what you're talking about - in which case who cares.

And yes, while we in the UK did vote in the Tony bliar (see what I did there?) what amazes still me is that the US actually voted in Al Gore, but got dumber-than-a-bag-of-nails George W Bush, then actually voted him in properly next-time-around after he'd made a fool of himself and a mockery of the US.

By comparison Donald (would have made more money had he left his huge inheritance in the bank) Trump sure does knows how to run a country (oops! I forgot to put a negative in there)

3. a_yank_lurker

Or if the Felon makes it the world's most powerful banana republic, hence "Bananas".

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> !In a more serious note, I don't think that calling USA's citizens "Americans " is correct or admissible, even if mostly everybody does it."

If most everyone doing it isn't the definition of correct, then what is? And have you tried looking in a dictionary?

Because "American" really is the correct, accepted demonym for US Citizens. The citizens of other countries in the Americas have their own demonyms, e.g. Canadian, Mexican, Peruvian, Bolivian, Honduran, Brazilian, Argentine (no, not Argentinian), etc., etc.

Or you could look like a dumbass and try to use USAian or something similarly stupid. (Cue rounds of: it's 'Murican, usually punctuated with comments about overweight Americans, as if Britain doesn't have plenty of its own lard asses.)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Thank you for that explanation, but you're wasting your time. Anyone who actually types 'Murican in general usage is beyond reasonable discourse on the subject.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Or you could use the universally accepted:

Septic.

Works for me.

2. Steve Knox

In a more serious note, I don't think that calling USA's citizens "Americans " is correct or admissible, even if mostly everybody does it.

Well, technically, calling US citizens "Americans" is as correct as calling squares "rectangles" (i.e, the first is a specific subset of the second.)

However, using "Americans" to refer ONLY to US citizens is, yes, extremely stupid.

3. oiseau

"... don't think that calling USA's citizens "Americans " is correct or admissible, even if mostly everybody does it."

Quite so ...

America is a continent which spans from northern Canada to southern Chile.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

America is a continent which spans from northern Canada to southern Chile.

No, there are two Americas -- North America and South America. They are separate continents.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>older than naming of America

I suspect the author was referring to the "United States of America" - the political, rather than geographical entity.

Referring to the geographical entity would obviously be pointless with regard to lifetimes - even the exceptional shark lifetimes - and is therefore an unlikely reading of the text.

1. Commswonk

I suspect the author was referring to the "United States of America" - the political, rather than geographical entity.

Seems highly likely; some (very) casual research suggested that the expression United States of America was first used in 1776.

However, for those of us for which that particular date does not represent some sort of "year zero" we could say that a typical Greenland Shark alive now could easily have been born before the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 with the oldest individuals perhaps being alive during the Great Plague of 1665 * or the Great Fire of London * the following year.

* Other historical waypoints are available.

1. PNGuinn
          Go

NEW ELREG UNIT??

C'mon, lads this is REAL SCIENCE (TM). Don't knock it.

There's a new unit of age lurking in here somewhere, shirley??

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: NEW ELREG UNIT??

What, as in" I'm just (some fraction) Sharks old"?

Hmmn.. it'd make getting birthday cards a tad tricky..

3. Purple-Stater

<pedant>

The continents are North America and South America. There is no land mass of "America" except as a colloquialism when referring to the two continents collectively, similar to using the term Eurasia.

</pedant>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical specimen @ Purple-Stater

There is no land mass of "America" except as a colloquialism when referring to the two continents collectively,

Magnificent. You, sir, are an apex pedant, and I bow down before you.

4. William 3 Bronze badge

If you were truly a pedant you would have used the Land Mass Named America.

As it stands your just as guilty of taking shit as the people you're being critical about.

5. macjules
      Headmaster

and another pedant grammar(er, for 'Muricans) alert ...

".. an apex predator swimming in the Arctic Ocean, can grow to over 400 years old."

No, you do not grow to an age, you 'reach', 'mature' or 'age' to 400 years or older.

6. Faux Science Slayer

"Amazing! New! Wrongco Proxy Crock!" at CanadaFreePress

Fresh killed penguins have a Carbon-14 age, because every form of "proxy" is a crock !

2. VinceH
    Coat

We're gonna need a bigger an older boat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Cue bycaught sharks complaining about "In my day, the humans caught us using sail power. None of these fancy engines!"

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"This species of shark is seldom eaten by man, since its flesh is infused with trimethylamine N-oxide, which is toxic, has a strong smell of urine"

I can't say I'm impressed with the taste of a much smaller shark, dogfish, AKA rock salmon.

1. Commswonk

I can't say I'm impressed with the taste of a much smaller shark, dogfish, AKA rock salmon.

I have never tried eating one. Having had to dissect a dogfish as part of a Biology course when at school I only have to hear the words "dogfish" or "rock salmon" for me to recall the the smell of fishy formaldehyde - the dissection was not a one day event.

I also recall the poor fish wreaking a sort of post mortem revenge by being able to blunt any approaching scalpel blade without physical contact being required.

Somehow the idea of eating one simply does not appeal...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

I'm rather fond of shark* but it must be fresh and "in season" as it does, like most cartilaginous fish, have a disagreeable ammoniacal off season...

*in general, never tried Greenland shark. Seems its off season is more pronounced and perpetual... although I understand more hardy chondrichthivores overcome this by allowing their dinner to rot for a few months prior to consumption.

1. Triggerfish

I used to quite like the flavour of dogfish, they used to sell it in chippies in London sometimes prefer it for the flavour to Cod.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous IV

The Greenland shark [...] can grow to over 400 years old

<pedant>

A year is not a unit of growth. Strewth.

</pedant>

Looks like the Reg sub-editors have been given the day off.

Re: The Greenland shark [...] can grow to over 400 years old

Looks like the Reg sub-editors have been given the day off.

Or they decided to give the pedants something to argue about ;-)

It's "Merkins" BTW, not "Muricans".

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

A Merkin? Ever actually looked up what one of those are?

Hint: it a wig, but not for your head.

1. The First Dave

Which makes it highly appropriate as a "term of endearment"

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

A Merkin? Ever actually looked up what one of those are?

Yes, as it happens.

Hint: I believe that's what The Oxford English Dictionary is for.

7. gymychoo

Typical specimen is older than America

Who cares about the age of the USA, this story is astonishing. If only certain humans had to wait 150 years to have a kid, might have gained a bit of sense by then!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If only certain humans had to wait 150 years to have a kid, might have gained a bit of sense by then!

Not only that, but just thinking how long they'd be in the house before moving out .. :)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

You really want the "teenager stage" to last so long?

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...carbon-14 dating of Greenland shark eye lenses."

They should be careful in case the carbon isotope ratio is skewed by the environment being isolated and their primary food source being several steps away from the atmosphere, where the isotope ratio is regulated.

In other words, if Mommy shark has been eating things that are already 100 years old, then all of her carbon will already be one hundred years old at the get-go of Baby shark's eyeballs. If she's been eating fresh corn on the cob, then it's a non-issue.

Carbon-14 dating tells you how long the carbon has been out of the atmosphere. Things living underwater and getting their carbon by eating other elderly things, could be eating old carbon.

The sharks are probably old, no argument. I'm just wondering if they've even considered this obvious factor. If not, then the 400 might be off.

Maybe they could find a baby shark and check its eyeballs. They'd better be, like, age 3.

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: "...carbon-14 dating of Greenland shark eye lenses."

Well, as I read the article they checked for the spike from the H-bomb testings and to their surprise only found it in a few young specimens. As they also eat fish I assume a lot of their food has a lot less than 100 years delay from atmospheric carbon.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Also 272 isn't an average, it's an error bar.

Carbon dating is quite accurate but not very precise.

The largest of the sharks tested was aged between 272 and 512 years old, so most probably ~400.

Those are some pretty wide error bars.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They tested twenty eight individuals and 272 is the average.

9. Mpeler
    Paris Hilton

New dating techniques

"new dating techniques"?

Shirley not another Ashley Madison scam?

Have to be careful now, there are a lot of *cough* *gurgle* sharks out there...

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: New dating techniques

"...it reproduces very slowly".

Sounds like a new dating technique is required. Catch,com, maybe, or possibly eHARMony. How about EliteSinglePreditors.co.uk? GreenlandSingles.com?

1. Swarthy

Re: New dating techniques

PlentyOfFish?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, to find the age of the thing, you have to kill it? That's great after 400 years.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Once killed you can could the rings - if you spot on alive then just follow it to its next birthday party

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

No, they used "by catch" ones already dead. RTFM

Or did you forget the joke icon?

11. Thaumaturge

All you Limeys are still sore losers...

America was so named after Amerigo Vespucci, cartographer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_of_the_Americas

Re: All you Limeys are still sore losers...

America was so named after Amerigo Vespucci, cartographer.

Richard ap Meryk (Amerike/Ameryk) 1440–1503), a wealthy English merchant, was the owner of the Matthew sailed by John Cabot to North America in 1497. So, do we continue referring to America as Amerika, or start calling it A-merry-go to keep some Merkin historians happy?

1. Alistair
        Coat

Its bad enough that I know what a merkin is. Please do NOT tell me there is a historical museum of merkins somewhere, with official historians.

Please do NOT tell me there is a historical museum of merkins somewhere, with official historians.

Your wish is my command.

Historians are generally far more interested in textual information than textured objects (furry or otherwise). These latter are generally the province of antiquarians, or curators.

12. Unep Eurobats
    Joke

They should have realised

As soon as they saw that the sharks were armed with frikkin' flintlocks.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time As A Unit of Length

"grow to over 400 years old"

Is this a Danish unit of measurement? Or maybe there's a relativistic angle to this.

14. dol

Lasers beams

Yeah, But do they have frickin' laser beams attached to their heads?

15. Identity
    Coat

Shark dating

"using new dating techniques, the vertebrate has revealed its astonishing longevity."

I thought this date was exceptionally

a) boring

b) satisfying

c) going overlong

d) none of the above

Mine's the neoprene one with the tank...

16. Mpeler
    Coat

Where's my fifth.....

Could it be that they've bridged the fifth of forth?

(Gets me hat, Boson-proof coat, tinfoil attachment.....)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon